Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to the East Coast members facing the big blizzard. If you manage to move around and use your GLA, please share the experiences gained. How did GLA fare the extreme snowstorm conditions? Stay dry and be safe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Will do. I expect the car to perform well based on what others have told and and my beast snows. 245/50R18 Blizzak WS-80s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anxious to get our '16 loaner GLA out in the snow this weekend, as our '15 GLA is still at the dealer.......:crying:
They are both 4MATIC's, so we get to experience first hand how well they will be in the snow. I have a very good feeling we won't have any problems at all, even with the amount of snow we are expecting.
Drive safe everyone, just take your time in this bad weather........:eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I took my GLA45 out for a spin in the middle of the storm. There was between 2 to 10 inches of snow on the road depending on where I was. It performed very well as I expected. Like any 4WD car it can maneuver much better then a 2WD but one still has to drive safe. 4WD cannot fix stupid.

I was very pleased over all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took my GLA45 out for a spin in the middle of the storm. There was between 2 to 10 inches of snow on the road depending on where I was. It performed very well as I expected. Like any 4WD car it can maneuver much better then a 2WD but one still has to drive safe. 4WD cannot fix stupid.

I was very pleased over all.
Outstanding! Thank you for the try and great news. Stay warm and safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Question to the East Coast members facing the big blizzard. If you manage to move around and use your GLA, please share the experiences gained. How did GLA fare the extreme snowstorm conditions? Stay dry and be safe.
Can't comment on this storm since I got the **** out of dodge, but I had my GLA 4matic during last year's snow fiasco in Boston and it performed very well. The best example I have is pulling out of my parking space with a foot high berm of snow built up in front from the plow and blowing right through it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my GLA out for a little winter test, few corners witn 40-50km/h, 4Matic makes it soo easy to drive, easily to get out of the understeer or oversteer, so far I was driving only with FWD cars, so Im really impressed how this 4Matic works, nice!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't comment on this storm since I got the **** out of dodge, but I had my GLA 4matic during last year's snow fiasco in Boston and it performed very well. The best example I have is pulling out of my parking space with a foot high berm of snow built up in front from the plow and blowing right through it.
Great, certainly confirms the GLA's "Swiss knife" character.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took my GLA out for a little winter test, few corners witn 40-50km/h, 4Matic makes it soo easy to drive, easily to get out of the understeer or oversteer, so far I was driving only with FWD cars, so Im really impressed how this 4Matic works, nice!
Excellent news, keep us posted in 4 MATIC winter accomplishments.

·
Registered
73 Posts
250 4matic here from Boston. Drove around all day with zero issues. The car performed much better than I thought it would.
Drove through a few areas that had not been plowed (intentionally) and all was well.
I have been contemplating on picking up a set of designated winter shoes, but I may pass.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had heard that you weren't supposed to use the off-road mode in the snow.
This is from page 199 of the 2016 digital USA GLA owners manual:
Do not use the off-road program on roads that
are snow-covered or icy

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is from page 199 of the 2016 digital USA GLA owners manual:
Do not use the off-road program on roads that
are snow-covered or icy
Despite what the manual says I found it to drive much better in the snow after selecting the off-road program. 5 inches of snow that is. :)

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I wonder if the manual is referring to driving on roads at normal highway speeds versus "creep mode" through deep snow.

Reactions: Xtheunknown

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a GLA 250 4-matic....two feet of snow here last weekend in SW Virginia....the car use wonderful in the snow...much more manageable than the GLK I once owned...it truly plowed through the thick stuff....I love this ride!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
boston here as well, i was out when it started to snow. i was driving in 2-4 inches of snow.. performed pretty well. traction control only came on twice. once when i intentionally turned a little sharper to see how it would react, another time because i was turning onto a street that requires more of a quick 90 degree turn. the 4matic is very good.. even when i can feel the car slip a little here or there, traction control doesn't go crazy.. it lets the system figure it out first and gains traction back pretty quickly.

i've been driving a RWD for the last few yrs so i wasn't really sure what to expect in the way the GLA would react in the snow, so i took it easy. but even on fresh unplowed/driven snow it performed exceptionally well. pulling into my driveway, which had maybe 4 inches of fresh snow on a slight slope, didn't shift/slide at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts