Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today took my 2019 GLA in for the B service. They gave me a 2021 GLA as a loaner while they serviced my 2019. Found 2021 be a very different car. There is more glass as the windshield is not laid back as much, the side windows in the front seat seem larger. The dash is completely new and has many options of what you can display. Think it could take some time to learn how to use the touch screen and the button on the steering wheel and the touchpad in the console to select the option you can view on the displays. What you can see on the display screens can be changed and swapped around. Seats were seen a little more firm. Overall felt like it was a little larger. The hood drops off very fast that looking out the windows you do not see much of the hood or if any. After having a 2016 GLA and now a 2019 GLA have mixed feeling for the new resigned GLA. Most likely will be getting the new platform in the next year, either a late 2021 or very early 2022.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Exactly my/our take away gbarringer from a fairly recent test drive. The 2020+ is now a full SUV, whereas before a CUV. The cockpit display itself is wondrous but alas my interest ended at that point. I fully understand why Benz made the business decision they did, but .... we'll be keeping our 2018 Covid-low mileage model for some time to come and then? I've had my VW ID.4 for 7 weeks today, which I'm very much enjoying, so perhaps looking at a Benz electric next for the bride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After an “extended” loaner experience with the 2021 (non 4-matic), that was my impression as well. They claim to have made it wider, however the revamp of the center console took up any increased width, and since I can’t drive with my knees together, the sharp edge hits me right on the side of the kneecap. An issue I’ve had with most cars that size (except my 2015). Gets painful on even short rides.
The added height is nice in front, I have several pinned vertebrae, so it is easier to get in and out of, but in my opinion, gives the car a “forehead” that’s not really attractive.
I found interior “touch screen” controls annoying. While most of them have redundancies, the having to scroll and select takes one’s eyes off the road. OK, I’m pushing 60 years old, but I’m no stranger to technology. At least for the main stuff like heat and fan, just give me something tactile I can hit without having to look for it. I just think it’s safer.
While the interior ambient light package was cool, I found it distracting at night, so the "club" atmosphere novelty quickly wore off.
The car didn’t feel as “solid” to me either and sounded kind of, well, like what a low-price four-cylinder sounds like. The ride and handling was kind of harsh and sloppy also, and I’m comparing that to my 4-matic on run-flat tires.
My overall takeaway, MB has undoubtedly done their R&D, and found a market sector for the redesign. Unfortunately, I’m not part of that market sector. If I stick with MB, my next one will be the GLC-300.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A year ago when in for service had a GLB as a loaner and found it to be more SUV than the 2021 GLA. Getting further away from the sporty line of the older GLA lines.

Reactions: Huey52
1 - 4 of 4 Posts