Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We are a new owner of GLA 50 2018 model and we live in Northern Canada. We are recently having issues starting the car because of low temperature. The temperature can dip to -30 to -50 here. Before we move here, I asked Mercedes Benz Brampton if the car can withstand that extreme temperature and they ASSURE me that the car will not have any problem. The lowest temperature that I experienced in Brampton was -20 and the temp here never drop to -20C but the car is having trouble already.
We thawed it to a heated garage several time and it works fine but because our house does not have any proper garage, the car is exposed to cold wind and snow.
I asked too if we can add block heater or if the car has installed block heater to start with but they said that Mercedez Benz does not do that. Is it true? How can they sell this nice car here in Canada if it cannot withstand the cold temperature that we have here?

I appreciate any suggestions or answers you can give. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
As I cited in the other thread you participated:

A Battery Tender and also an engine block/dipstick heater may be beneficial. Both have been used in Winter for many years in our most northern USA cities. In Minneapolis in particular there are receptacles for such heaters in many downtown parking areas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I cited in the other thread you participated:

A Battery Tender and also an engine block/dipstick heater may be beneficial. Both have been used in Winter for many years in our most northern USA cities. In Minneapolis in particular there are receptacles for such heaters in many downtown parking areas.
Okay thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Huey52 is right on the mark > Kat's brand is widely available (Amazon, eBay, etc.) in a variety of types of engine heaters, including the dipstick type.
Although in my pre-Mercedes days I found that a fully charged battery and new, correct engine oil eliminated the need for the dipstick heater.
( Just curious: The coldness affects everyone, so what are your neighbors doing to start their cars? And your MB Dealer?
Also, what specific issues related to the cold weather are you having?)
...How can they sell this nice car here in Canada if it cannot withstand the cold temperature that we have here? I appreciate any suggestions or answers you can give....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huey52 is right on the mark > Kat's brand is widely available (Amazon, eBay, etc.) in a variety of types of engine heaters, including the dipstick type.
Although in my pre-Mercedes days I found that a fully charged battery and new, correct engine oil eliminated the need for the dipstick heater.
( Just curious: The coldness affects everyone, so what are your neighbors doing to start their cars? And your MB Dealer?
Ive noticed that most of the cars here have block heaters. I called MB Calgary (just to ask what they normally do when the temperature hits -10 and below, they said not much bec the car normally starts. They haven’t had any records yet of Mercedes unit in a extreme weather like our place. Today, it’s -22 feels like -32 bec of wind effect. And this is just the beginning of winter 😭😖

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
Although it's good to get "professional" insight, and also local knowledge from fellow residents in a similar situation, in the end we all have to use our own common sense. So .... ;)
[see your other thread]

I've been to Calgary many times in deep Winter. Beautiful area, especially Banff. (y)

And I've always felt (literally and figuratively) that once it gets below -10 degF it's all academic. 🥶

btw: I've been above the Arctic Circle in Winter as well (Evenes, Norway) with a tertiary Marine mission of testing an early Gore-tex shell with thick "buffalo hide" polar fleece lining and have been sold on it ever since. Proper clothing/layering makes a huge positive difference.
Ive noticed that most of the cars here have block heaters. I called MB Calgary (just to ask what they normally do when the temperature hits -10 and below, they said not much bec the car normally starts. They haven’t had any records yet of Mercedes unit in a extreme weather like our place. Today, it’s -22 feels like -32 bec of wind effect. And this is just the beginning of winter 😭😖

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also, spoke with a Service Supervisor just now, at MB Anchorage, AK who recommends the silicone heating pad, which is affixed to the bottom of the oil pan. Kat's has these as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts