Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I recently got the GLA but I think theres and issue with usb port when I charge my phone it shows that is charging but battery keeps going down.. anyone had this issue ?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome Gojart. Could you please share your location or country, GLA model and year? With all the international GLA derivatives, that will help focus an answer from other members. If you would add that information to your member profile, it will show in any future postings you make, under your member name. You can do so from the User CP link on the upper right of most browsers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Gojart. Could you please share your location or country, GLA model and year? With all the international GLA derivatives, that will help focus an answer from other members. If you would add that information to your member profile, it will show in any future postings you make, under your member name. You can do so from the User CP link on the upper right of most browsers.
—-
Hi I dont know how to do that..
I have GLa 250 4matic 2015 United States

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the 2016 September GLA 250 4matic build.

Apple CarPlay, Andriod Auto would not work. They said it was not installed - IT WAS !

And the passenger side USB charge only port (apparently) would charge OK but not play music from a USB stick.

They replaced the whole USB module. Apparently the knowledge base is that there was a bad batch of USB hubs out of the states in 2015/16

Works perfect now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 2016 September GLA 250 4matic build.

Apple CarPlay, Andriod Auto would not work. They said it was not installed - IT WAS !

And the passenger side USB charge only port (apparently) would charge OK but not play music from a USB stick.

They replaced the whole USB module. Apparently the knowledge base is that there was a bad batch of USB hubs out of the states in 2015/16

Works perfect now.

———————
I don’t use the USB for music only to charge my phone but the battery doesn’t even go up and when I use the phone for example maps my battery goes down.. I don’t really know if it is the USB port low voltage problem or thats how it works, it’s really annoying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If its standard USB 1.0 or 2.0 output (500 mA) it may not be able to keep up when running intensive apps. It most likely is. USB 3.0 moved that up to 900mA but there's a reason you see all these chargers with many times higher output. For that use case and to charge faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined to discuss the exact same problem. Just got a 2016 GLA 250 4matic AMG in the UK. Single USB port which won’t recognise the phone data (but using BT so that’s not a huge problem) and ‘says’ it’s charging but does nothing, or maybe slows the battery drain, but certainly doesn’t charge. Can this be solved?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Phones these days are just really power hungry. It's crazy. You turn on your GPS antenna, bluetooth, get some directions and stream anything (or leave it on in the background and it will continue to download without you knowing), it all takes tons of juice.

As an experiment, try a 2+ amp cigarette lighter USB adapter and use your best charge cable, and see if you get the same symptom. I'll bet it charges as per normal (when under the same usage conditions).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Phones these days are just really power hungry. It's crazy. You turn on your GPS antenna, bluetooth, get some directions and stream anything (or leave it on in the background and it will continue to download without you knowing), it all takes tons of juice.
Just a small clarification, the GPS antenna is a receive only antenna; and thus, requires almost no power. The real power drain when using GPS is your phone doing intensive, relativistic calculations due to the fact that the GPS satellites exist farther from a gravity well (the Earth) and thus experience time at a different rate than we do on the Earth's surface. So much so, that they have experienced about 18 more minutes of time than the surface of the Earth has seen their inception in the 70s.

#mindblown

·
Registered
237 Posts
neat, but our problem statement is "phone drains in car when plugged into existing USB port, even when it says it's charging". That's cool, but not entirely relevant. However, clarification noted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
neat, but our problem statement is "phone drains in car when plugged into existing USB port, even when it says it's charging". That's cool, but not entirely relevant. However, clarification noted.
Yeah... everything else is being discussed. The USB controller might only be supplying 500mA instead of 1.2Amps. That would definitely mean that your phone could be using more power than is being provided. There's a negotiation that has to happen in the USB controller (the car) and your phone in order to do anything more than 500mA, so if the older model doesn't support it, or as someone else mentioned, there's a bad batch of USB controllers, that would definitely be the issue.

The one caveat on that would be that the phone charges on other USB ports, which I'm assuming it does, or else this would probably be posted to the phone manufacturer and not the GLA forum.

Soo... I can't add anything here (everyone has already said the above). All I can do is talk about relativity. lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts