Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's Suburban is dead in my driveway. Battery is toast. Anybody know how the hec to jump start another car with a GLA45? I've found lots of articles on jump starting a dead GLA45 but not this scenario. TIA!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
oooof

I would be confident in putting cables on the nifty brass nut, and the secret sliding tab.

particularly since you'll be doing it yourself

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
Jumping a car is jumping a car. The final connection should be at one car's frame rather than at the battery where a spark could cause a problem ... Realize a dead battery will draw from a good battery with a possible sparking. This also is why you want the car with the good battery running (no point in having a second car that won't start due to a quickly depleted battery). Once connected wait a few minutes for the dead battery to collect some power. Then rev the running car to get more power from the alternator. Then have a second person start the dead car. Leave both cars running and remove the last cable on (away from the battery) first.

Both cars may have depleted batteries at this point. Drive both a distance to recharge. The good battery is most likely fine but why risk it?

Note: During a jump voltages can fluctuate. Fluctuating voltages can put electronics in jeopardy. I had a friend who used his Suburban to jump a friend's car with the result being a major repair cost when his computer board failed. He was told this was on account of the jumping. He may have done something wrong in the process but I can't say he did. This was over 20 years ago. Power supplies have improved. Computers have gotten better. But I pull my trickle charger out these days. My jumper cables remain deep in the storage drawer.

Edit: To be thorough, positive ground cars get treated differently. But there aren't many of those still on the road!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd assumed the battery was in the trunk like my old C63. Turns out that's just the subwoofer. Oops. Sorry guys. I jumped the Suburban and got it to the mechanic. Easy stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts