Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm Tim, from Australia, and am contemplating a GLA250 as a replacement for my BMW M135i. I'm keen for a little more versatility.

Why not the GLA45 you ask, given the M135i? Well, I don't (and can't 99% of the time) use the power on our roads in Australia, so something that still has 'adequate' power is the plan.;)

I'm keen to learn about others' experiences, and -- yes -- there's a fair chance I'll tinker with mine to ensure it works as well as the original design engineers intended...before the lawyers and accountants intervened

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One question I have, as I consider the GLA, relates to the seats. My M135i has the BMW sports seats, and they're wonderfully comfortable, especially the under thigh support. I found the standard seats in the GLA a little short and thus left supportive under the thighs, and wonder how owners find the seats over time, or whether the sports seats might be a better in this respect.

I'd love to hear what people think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tim,

If you're going to replace your M135 with the GLA as your Daily Driver, I'd highly suggest the sport seats (I have an M3 as my DD, and yes the BMW M seats are far superior in lateral support). I do find the standard GLA seats more than adequate in overall comfort, but won't compare to your BMW when driving aggressively.
*The GLA250 (vs GLA45) has plenty of pep for most situations, and much better MPG, not to mention saving lots of $$$.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just with MB had more interesting inserts going on with the seat, the red divide between the inner and outer parts create a good opportunity for a big difference in contrasting designs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looking at these, and the brochure pics (which don't make it very clear) are the sports seats in the GLA45 and the AMG line sports seats the same?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Regular seats

Sport Seats

AMG Performance Seats

In the US

GLA250
standard - Regular seat
sport pack - Sport seat

GLA45
Standard - Sport seats
optional - AMG performance for $2000

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, thank you!!!...I think that addresses my confusion. Now to find a dealer who has both the regular seats and sports seats, so I can compare

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered mine with the AMG line which gives the sport seats (but not the red seat belts in Oz). Coming from a G6E Turbo the MB seats certainly provide more support but I do have relatively short legs. My biggest issue was getting used to the fixed head restraint. Unfortunately I haven't drive an M135i so cant compare the seats.

Reactions: timbo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Watto! Where are you located, and how are you finding the car? Are the sports seats in the AMG line leather? I thought so, but the dealer I saw recently said they were "man-made" leather. I'm finding but g discrepancies between what the brochures say (some o/s obviously) and what the Oz spec actually is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am based in Perth. Loving the car and have found that it loosens up nicely after 1000km or so. Still mainly running in E mode as most of my driving (unfortunately) is commute or suburban driving however when I am first at a set of lights the S mode gets some use and that makes a big difference to the liveliness of the car.

The AMG sports seats are MB Tex I believe which is a quasi leather (MB Tex goes back a long way). It feels better than my G6E turbo leather seats and I don't have any problem with it.

From reading this forum it appears that Oz cars are optioned up more than the US offerings. The Mercedes Oz website was to my mind realistic with the various options but I am glad I had a look at the dealers before ordering as that swayed me to get the sound upgrade (which included the bigger screen). I found that the AMG line package basically gave me everything I wanted apart from the towbar and roofracks. I went with the MB tow package at an exorbitant price as their is a lot of electronics involved with the towbar install. (Funny story is that they actually installed my towbar on the wrong vehicle and had to take it off and then install on mine. Also, there is an extra cooling fan involved with the towpack and someone forgot to plug this in on my install! only found out just before I drove out of the dealership so embarrassed faces all round there).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I'm not thinking I'll tow anything, but we need something with a little more clearance than my BMW, and the GLA250 seems to tick most boxes (also looking at Q3 and X1 - next gen). Q3 is too small, I think...and the next X1 will be pretty untested at the time I need to changeover.

Interesting about the bigger screen. I've become very cynical about the proprietary nav systems, and I'd love it if the 2016 GLA has CarPlay, as then I can use iPhone /Google navigation, plus all the media I have or can access via the iPhone.

My wife and I are reasonably tall, so the big issue seems to be the seat length. Our dealer has offered us a GLA to drive for a day, and I think that will really be the test.

How do you find wind/road noise? If I order the AMG line, I think I'll ask for 18" wheels, not 19's., as I reckon the lower profile tyres combined with our coarse chip roads make for a lot of road noise in the current crop of Euro cars. I'm not expecting to do any track days in this car, so I'm erring of the side of comfort, not speed! What do you think?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks! I'm not thinking I'll tow anything, but we need something with a little more clearance than my BMW, and the GLA250 seems to tick most boxes (also looking at Q3 and X1 - next gen). Q3 is too small, I think...and the next X1 will be pretty untested at the time I need to changeover.

Interesting about the bigger screen. I've become very cynical about the proprietary nav systems, and I'd love it if the 2016 GLA has CarPlay, as then I can use iPhone /Google navigation, plus all the media I have or can access via the iPhone.

My wife and I are reasonably tall, so the big issue seems to be the seat length. Our dealer has offered us a GLA to drive for a day, and I think that will really be the test.

How do you find wind/road noise? If I order the AMG line, I think I'll ask for 18" wheels, not 19's., as I reckon the lower profile tyres combined with our coarse chip roads make for a lot of road noise in the current crop of Euro cars. I'm not expecting to do any track days in this car, so I'm erring of the side of comfort, not speed! What do you think?
I dont notice much of either compared to my F6 ute & XR6 turbo

The 45 comes with 20s

I hope that helps

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dont know about other countries but in the US, standard is the 19 and 20 are optional. the tire size for the 20 are very limited in terms of tire brands that make a 235/40/20

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dont know about other countries but in the US, standard is the 19 and 20 are optional. the tire size for the 20 are very limited in terms of tire brands that make a 235/40/20
The 45 here comes pretty well with the lot except aero package and AMG Performance Suspension

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
19" wheels, and certainly 20" on the GLA 250 leave it somewhat "over-tyred", IMHO -- probably ok for handling, but poor for ride/road noise -- not to mention exposing the sidewalls when travelling on formed, but gravel, roads. I'm keen to understand if 18" with 45 or even 50 profile tyres help with ride/noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my tyres (with the AMG rims) are 235/45/19. I don't notice any extra road noise over my previous 35 profile tyres at this stage.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Different in Oz

Regular seats

Sport Seats

AMG Performance Seats

In the US

GLA250
standard - Regular seat
sport pack - Sport seat

GLA45
Standard - Sport seats
optional - AMG performance for $2000
I can see guys from your pic that you only get one airbag adjustment on the side
Of you chair ( to adjust lumbar/ side grip or whatever)
Over here my car has three...
You cousins been done again?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts