Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any problems with a gasoline smell coming from the engine bay , and then feeling like the car just has a loss of power? I just had Injector O-rings replaced at 35k and still experiencing an odor, It is in the shop now, just waiting to hear back. I took the tech on a road test and found that the Eco Gauge that measures Constant, Acceleration, and Coasting was just stuck, but one morning I'm cruising and going 50mph and when I went to stab the accelerator to pass , it's almost like my car hesitated and then decided to go. The Tech mentioned that there's only one other time when he saw a situation similar to having gas vapor smell when the fuel rail itself was cracked. Has Anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm beginning to think with the loss of power it could be tied to the waste gate actuator.... There's no plumes of smoke out the tail pipe either that would signify blown turbo AKA run away turbo.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wonder if the smell coming from the rear where the gas tank fill up area.
if you open cover located at the rear left you can see it or smell it?
C

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly smelled it coming from the engine compartment, I understand how things can drift within the cabin however, standing facing the vehicle located on the right side rear where the filler is, I took a look when I was changing my winters to summers and couldn't smell nor detect a leak upon visual examination.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I went back to the dealer today as I was driving home yesterday evening from work and I almost crashed due to vapor. If you smell gas, even if it is weeping , do not drive the car have it towed. That is my disclaimer. Anyway, I went to the dealer and when we went on a test drive I explain to the tech there's a vapor smell still coming from the car. I explain it happens when the RPM is held at 3k. Tech and I both smell gas, then take it inside the car valet port, and we both get outside and notice on the hood, there's blue/green/yellow vapor trails. No idea what it is at this point, but it doesn't look good. My other concern that was raised was spike in fuel pressure and with Turbo's this can cause the seals to fail given high EGT's. The turbo inlet plastic pipe is on back order and will be for two months. There's a crack in the turbo inlet. My car may be in the shop for awhile, but very happy in the mean time to not smell gas.

·
Registered
475 Posts
wow, pls take some photos of the crack if pos. i want to check mine.
good luck anyway!
c

·
Registered
880 Posts
i assume opps car is a 250 but there were some recalls for bad turbos on the first few yr CLA45s maybe similar situation

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Morning MB Community,
M-Type: Yes this is a 250 4matic I am speaking about here.

The break in the plastic molding for the turbo inlet is apart of the entire engine according to mechanic, and last time they checked on this piece was back ordered 2months. I'm getting a little tired of this car , seems like it is in the shop just about every month.

These two pictures were from my first visit down to the MB dealership before having my air filter changed, I had them check over the turbo , and they stated everything was normal. Again, I've driven turbo cars, My background includes racing Time Trials at NHMS, Watkins Glenn, Mt Tremblant with COMSCC in my 08 Mazdaspeed3, and then I owned a 500whp 08 STI with fully built motor that cost me with tunes and everything 25k. To have a film of oil on the inlet is fine, but my goodness a whole GOB of oil that seems excessive to me and the mechanic even when I dropped the car and showed him the picture said it was excessive but ALAS the dealership did nothing and sent me on my way. BTW Caug that was MBOB.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, pls take some photos of the crack if pos. i want to check mine.
good luck anyway!
c
The fuel leak originally was detected near the turbo , I put my nose down to it ( I am very sensitive to smells) and smelled fuel at the fuel rail. Then upon further investigation it was recommended that the o-rings be replaced along with the seals for the injectors. Fine, those get replaced, Brought it back again on tuesday of this week, and like I mentioned before tech rev'd it to 3krpm and could constantly smell fuel through the cabin vents. The other funny thing is now just thinking about it, I noticed the engine compartment was getting rather hot more than normal within the past 6 months and could smell a burning smell on and off, but just chalked it up to NorthEast extreme temperature changes. I found it rather scary but yet comical that there was gasoline vapor trails across the hood , and looked at the tech and said , Got a match? we can fix this you know.

With all seriousness, I find it greatly disturbing and troubling that my car with 35k miles is having this much trouble. It is unreal.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very disturbing to read all these things about MB.
My first MB and it scares me.
C

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Very disturbing to read all these things about MB.
My first MB and it scares me.
C
Forum Flu ... The anxiety you get from reading the Forum on ANY make of car. Forums are where all the problems ever seen are distilled and condensed. It's important to step back from time to time and simply enjoy what you've got 8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forum Flu ... The anxiety you get from reading the Forum on ANY make of car. Forums are where all the problems ever seen are distilled and condensed. It's important to step back from time to time and simply enjoy what you've got 8)
I get what you're saying Wayne, It can be nerve racking but none the less just recounting my experience in dealing with my GLA 250 4matic, and posting pictures to back up what is said. It is different having to go through the experience than just listening to someone spout off a bunch of stuff in a forum, but I can literally tell you that none of my previous cars I've owned have ever been in the shop as much as this one has. Furthermore, something as dangerous as gasoline vapor and leaking fuel isn't something to mess around with as MB has already been taken to court once before dealing with a similar issue. When you Rev your car to 3k rpm just appreciate it not smelling of gasoline and the toxins you aren't being exposed to as I have been for the last month and a 45 min commute every morning and afternoon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I get what you're saying Wayne, It can be nerve racking but none the less just recounting my experience in dealing with my GLA 250 4matic, and posting pictures to back up what is said. It is different having to go through the experience than just listening to someone spout off a bunch of stuff in a forum, but I can literally tell you that none of my previous cars I've owned have ever been in the shop as much as this one has. Furthermore, something as dangerous as gasoline vapor and leaking fuel isn't something to mess around with as MB has already been taken to court once before dealing with a similar issue. When you Rev your car to 3k rpm just appreciate it not smelling of gasoline and the toxins you aren't being exposed to as I have been for the last month and a 45 min commute every morning and afternoon.
Stuff happens to any car, brand/model. That does not mean it is widespread.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Born2fly ... I fully appreciate what you are saying and did not mean to discount your experiences. I fully agree with and am also appalled by the gas vapors. Having the stains run up your hood is scary, but I suspect (or at least hope) that this is a very isolated case. I simply intended encouragement.

That being said, I would also repeat GLAOwners response.

Complex systems are prone toward complex failures and failure modes increase exponentially as parts increase linearly. It is amazing that any modern car works as well as they seem to, IMHO.

Good luck with your car. Please keep us updated on your progress.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts

Absolutely correct Wayne. If I believed everything I read on a forum, I'd have traded or sold my Boxster years ago for fear of the dreaded intermediate shaft bearing failure that trashes the M96 engine without warning. That's a $8K to $15K repair. Reality is it is a rare failure mode.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on the car: I called and spoke with service manager yesterday , The head tech can't reproduce the issue, Now there's two techs on my car. It took me having to call the original dealership where I bought the car, to talk with the head of sales to text the head tech working on my car on saturday to get an answer as to what is going on with my car. I was also told I would be called when there would be a loaner available , and was never called. So on Saturday I took 45-50 min commute down to my local MB dealership where the car was to get my loaner. I have been in about 6 loaners in the last 6 months, and I'm just sick of it all. It'd be so much easier if they just said yep, new engine is on order.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you qualify for a lemon law replacement? It seems like you've been through waaaaay too much.
Hi Wayne, In the state of NH a car has to been attempted to be repaired 3 times, after three times, then it is considered a Lemon. This will be the second time in the shop. I've already been looking into a Lemon Law lawyer . I've been down this road once before with my Chevy Cruze, and basically if you don't have a lawyer, the Board doesn't hear your case and it's a joke.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Can you qualify for a lemon law replacement? It seems like you've been through waaaaay too much.
Hi Wayne, In the state of NH a car has to been attempted to be repaired 3 times, after three times, then it is considered a Lemon. This will be the second time in the shop. I've already been looking into a Lemon Law lawyer . I've been down this road once before with my Chevy Cruze, and basically if you don't have a lawyer, the Board doesn't hear your case and it's a joke.
Sounds like CA. Good luck. Wish you weren't in the position you're in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Called and spoke with the GM of Mercedes of Manchester . They still can't figure out or replicate the issue, They have now opened up a case with Mercedes Benz USA. When asked if dropping a whole new engine in would be an answer, the GM stated " I doubt they would do that." My response was okay , so if the car catches on fire then what? He responded Okay, I get that. I can assure you we have been trying to get the car to do what you brought it in for but we just haven't been able to. So , if we can't fix it then you'll have to take it back to the dealership you bought it from and say , that you need a new car because the one (GLA) sold to me was sold with an issue.

To be honest, I can see the writing on the wall now, We can't do anything about it, so Live with it. Heck at this rate I should've just gotten a GLA 45, and may ask if that can be done and to have the car shipped to me if they can't fix this one although, highly doubtful as they have to offer a replacement or refund.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update : The dealership had tech assist and then had to order a tool to help detect the odor. Upon their investigation it turns out the ORings they replaced last time had cuts in them. So now there are new orings again on the injectors also they replaced the breather o rings and connector. So far things have tested out and things have been rided around. I told dealership to keep car and test under various weather and time of day . Very frustrating to say the least.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts