Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while driving on freeway gas gauge suddenly dropped to 0. Minutes before it had been near 1/2. I stopped at next gas station did several key switches and it stayed at 0. Decided to fill up and go by trip odometer until I could get into dealership. It only took 8 gallons to fill. About 2 hours later stopped for lunch. On restart gauge function returned to normal. It's been OK now for a week. No point in taking to dealer if it's working. Any ideas on what hsppened?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Last week while driving on freeway gas gauge suddenly dropped to 0. Minutes before it had been near 1/2. I stopped at next gas station did several key switches and it stayed at 0. Decided to fill up and go by trip odometer until I could get into dealership. It only took 8 gallons to fill. About 2 hours later stopped for lunch. On restart gauge function returned to normal. It's been OK now for a week. No point in taking to dealer if it's working. Any ideas on what hsppened?
The sensor is entitled to a lunch break as well. IT should be in your owners manual ;)

AH, no, in all seriousness perhaps there is some kind of loose connection, although that probably wouldn't explain it coming back online... perhaps a simple software malfunction.... Can you tell I'm reaching ;):D

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer can't diagnose fuel gauge problem

Took my GLA into dealer last week. They found two fault codes stored for my fuel gauge. Problem is that MB has not provided dealers with either diagnostics or repair for those fault codes. Best the dealer could do was clear the codes and tell me to come back if the problem happens again. Hopefully MB will have provided diagnostic and repair procedures by then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Annoying problem to have. I've got stuck with no gas because of a broken gas gauge before. Wonder if it has anything to do with temperatures?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not sure about the temperatures but even if it was because of that it seems like something that shouldn't be happening in a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not sure about the temperatures but even if it was because of that it seems like something that shouldn't be happening in a brand new vehicle.
when it gets cold, sometimes cars act weird, reason why car makers do extreme weather testing, all part of their quality control. plus consider the time of year we're in right noow

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think problem caused by cold temperatures

When the gauge stopped working I was on vacation in south Florida, low 80s outside with A/C on. My first thought was that maybe the cold air ducted behind dash caused a bad solder joint to shrink and lose connection. Since then it has been to -10F here in Indiana with no further problems, so I discount the cold as the cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts