Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 GLA 250. I'm searching for a compatible Garmin Map Pilot. I have found a few on ebay that say 2015, but it also says that its compatible with the C Class.

Question:
Will this map pilot work in a 2016 GLA?

I don't have the multimedia package. Just the basic Audio 20 (i think thats what its called) system. It has a SD slot right on the face of the system instead of in the center console.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I own a 2016 GLA 250. I'm searching for a compatible Garmin Map Pilot. I have found a few on ebay that say 2015, but it also says that its compatible with the C Class.

Question:
Will this map pilot work in a 2016 GLA?

I don't have the multimedia package. Just the basic Audio 20 (i think thats what its called) system. It has a SD slot right on the face of the system instead of in the center console.
Per Mercedes you can use with Audio 20 CD (code 522 on your build sheet)
All you need to know about the Garmin® MAP PILOT

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per Mercedes you can use with Audio 20 CD (code 522 on your build sheet)
All you need to know about the Garmin® MAP PILOT
I don't know if I have a code 522 system. I just know I have a 2016 GLA. I don't have a build sheet for my vehicle. It was already built when I purchased it. Got it the same day I went to test drive what they had on the lot.

I thought all 2016 GLA were pre wired for the Garmin map pilots. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2016 dealer order guide says that Map Pilot pre wiring is standard. (That is new for 2016.)
Thank you, I just needed somebody with a 2016 that has the map pilot to chime in. I don't want to end up with a useless 600 dollar SD card I can't use.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you recieve your Garmin SD card yet? I just purchased from the same ebay seller.
I should be getting it sometime today. I've been tracking it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Received and install my map pilot. Looks beautiful. Better than my handheld one from 8 years ago. Have to take it out for a test run to somewhere wierd to find.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
excellent! now im excited. Was it just plug andplay? Thanks for the update.
yup, it asked for a few things in the beginning such as...

Are you sure you want to connect this to your system?

once you mate it to the system it can't be used on another vehicle...etc.

Accepting the user agreement

...blah blah...

Then it was ready for use.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I did some googling and found out how to update the Garmin Map Pilot. There is a V5.0 available for download. I will post the instructions, but do this at your own risk. Not all computers behave the same. I was sweating thru the whole process hoping that I don't brick my 400 dollar SD car on the first day. Lol.

1 - Activate your Map pilot in your GLA and remove it and bring it inside where its warm, unless you rather do it outside on your laptop. lol

note: make sure you turn off Radio then turn off car before you remove it or you might be making another trip to the car....(been there, done that) :(

2 - download the MB Download Manager (available for PC and MAC)
Garmin® MAP PILOT - Mercedes-Benz Apps

3- Install the software and run it and enter any username and password (it doesn't care).

4 - Insert your SD card into your computer. (must have a SD reader to update)
note: if it tells you that you must first insert the card in your vehicle..see #1 above for notes.

5 - The app will now check your card and let you know if an update is available.

6 - optional - Run the Backup option before you update your card.

note: Takes a while so go get a cup of coffee or a beer if needed.

7 - When done updating, go back to your car and insert card. Run NAV and it will ask you those stupid questions again like when you first installed it.

THE END

·
Registered
47 Posts
A few questions.....on my 15 GLA250.....
1-what is the difference between the Becker & Garmin map pilot?
2-as stated it depends on what radio you have to determine what to use?
3-it appears that the Becker system leaves a lot to be desired, how is the Garmin better or worse than the Becker system?
Thanks for any info..........Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few questions.....on my 15 GLA250.....
1-what is the difference between the Becker & Garmin map pilot?
2-as stated it depends on what radio you have to determine what to use?
3-it appears that the Becker system leaves a lot to be desired, how is the Garmin better or worse than the Becker system?
Thanks for any info..........Tom
Hard to say. I never used the becker before. The garmin is just like the ones you buy and stick to your window. I didn't have the becker option so installing that one was a no no for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Map Pilot

I just bought a 2015 GLA Basic , it already had the Becker Map Pilot installed??
Are you saying I can not use that ,instead use a Garmin, which I like much better.
Any help on this. To me Garmin is the best map program!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought a 2015 GLA Basic , it already had the Becker Map Pilot installed??
Are you saying I can not use that ,instead use a Garmin, which I like much better.
Any help on this. To me Garmin is the best map program!!
I guess some people do not like the Becker system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Garmin

Still do not understand, I called Garmin ,they said that you can not use
Garmin SD card, will not work?? They do not support Mercedes??? Are these people using after market SD cards????

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still do not understand, I called Garmin ,they said that you can not use
Garmin SD card, will not work?? They do not support Mercedes??? Are these people using after market SD cards????
2016 GLA is already equip to use the Garmin map pilot. I don't know about the 2015 GLAs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well call Garmin Support and ask them, they advise me that they do not support Mercedes in using their SD card?? So where are you getting the SD card that will work
in the Mercedes??

1 - 20 of 149 Posts