Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I saw the thread regarding the Garmin Map Pilot, I thought MB replaced Becker. Is that the case?

When I purchased my 2015 GLA250 in January, I don't remember Garmin Map Pilot being an option, or even mentioned. How long has it been around?

I've posted my disappointment with Becker Map Pilot numerous times on this board, so I won't go there this time. :)

For those that have Garmin Map Pilot, when did you purchase your car, and more importantly, how do you like the Garmin system?

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I saw the thread regarding the Garmin Map Pilot, I thought MB replaced Becker. Is that the case?

When I purchased my 2015 GLA250 in January, I don't remember Garmin Map Pilot being an option, or even mentioned. How long has it been around?

I've posted my disappointment with Becker Map Pilot numerous times on this board, so I won't go there this time. :)

For those that have Garmin Map Pilot, when did you purchase your car, and more importantly, how do you like the Garmin system?
Its an included free option with the 2016 GLA Audio 20 system. I don't know about the Multimedia Center and what it has installed. The catch is that you have to buy a 599.00 SD drive with the Garmin software in it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
These are the new standard option on the 2016 GLA:

Dual Zone Climate Control
KEYLESS-START
Pre-Wiring for Garmin Navigation
7-Inch Display
Media Interface
Power Liftgate
18” Light-Alloy Wheels
Chrome Roof Rails
5.8” Color Display with Central Controller
Bluetooth Connectivity (Phone/Streaming)
7-speed DCT Automatic Transmission
Electronic Parking Brake
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS
ATTENTION ASSIST

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
These are the new standard option on the 2016 GLA:

Dual Zone Climate Control
KEYLESS-START
Pre-Wiring for Garmin Navigation
7-Inch Display
Media Interface
Power Liftgate
18” Light-Alloy Wheels
Chrome Roof Rails
5.8” Color Display with Central Controller
Bluetooth Connectivity (Phone/Streaming)
7-speed DCT Automatic Transmission
Electronic Parking Brake
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS
ATTENTION ASSIST
Louie, you mean standard equipment, not options, correct?

What I am personally not clear on is if the Garmin SD card system operates without the Multimedia Package. I have the Navi button (but not the Multimedia Package) and if pressed it seems to look for the SD card, so perhaps getting the Garmin SD data card is all that's needed.

I just don't want to pay for an expensive experiment that doesn't work. You seem to be our voice of experience here. In all honestly, for me being confined to the island of Oahu, maps aren't that big a deal. Still waiting for that bridge to California!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Louie, you mean standard equipment, not options, correct?

What I am personally not clear on is if the Garmin SD card system operates without the Multimedia Package. I have the Navi button (but not the Multimedia Package) and if pressed it seems to look for the SD card, so perhaps getting the Garmin SD data card is all that's needed.

I just don't want to pay for an expensive experiment that doesn't work. You seem to be our voice of experience here. In all honestly, for me being confined to the island of Oahu, maps aren't that big a deal. Still waiting for that bridge to California!
Yes, standard equip.

I'm not an expert on these vehicles. It's my first MB.
I can answer anything Subaru WRX STI. Lol.

It's hard to test to see if it works because the SD card mates to the first vehicle it's install on. You can not use it in another vehicle. Technically you have to buy it. Maybe a MB mechanic can tell you if you are pre wired.

I really do not know anything about the 2015 GLA.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Louie!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe it was Becker up to 2015 and Garmin 2016 on. From what I've been able to deduce, the Garmin is superior and doesn't have hardware per se. The Becker is a cartridge - about 4" x 4" in size that goes into a slot in the glovebox - the prewiring probably has the receptacle for that plus a GPS antenna somewhere. Garmin, from what I've gathered is software in Audio 20 only - and it just loads as an SD card somewhere in the center bin. I'm basing this on seeing some videos of it in a CLA. The prewiring there must just be the SD slot in the center bin plus the requisite GPS antenna. Would love someone to figure out for sure though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe it was Becker up to 2015 and Garmin 2016 on. From what I've been able to deduce, the Garmin is superior and doesn't have hardware per se. The Becker is a cartridge - about 4" x 4" in size that goes into a slot in the glovebox - the prewiring probably has the receptacle for that plus a GPS antenna somewhere. Garmin, from what I've gathered is software in Audio 20 only - and it just loads as an SD card somewhere in the center bin. I'm basing this on seeing some videos of it in a CLA. The prewiring there must just be the SD slot in the center bin plus the requisite GPS antenna. Would love someone to figure out for sure though.
I can post a video of it sometime this weekend if you like. I have the SD card.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really enjoy my Garman maps. It reminds me of Waze, in interface and the amount of information. Very user friendly as well. I just need to figure out how to activate the traffics feature. It says you need to contact the dealership for that feature.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks peeti!

So much for buying a car the first year it comes out. Between the smaller screen and Becker's meager map, along with some of the other new standard features, waiting for the 2016 to come out looks like the wiser choice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Louie, that gave me enough information to know I probably don't need it. Thought it would look more like Google maps. For the use I would give it, not worth the ticket price.
No problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for posting - the interface on the main menus for Audio 20 is different for 2016 than 2015 to begin. The mapping is totally different as is the interface to the GPS section. Night and day better.

Ironically all I want is to mirror my iphone to the main screen. I don't want carplay, just mirroring. I use Waze for everything GPS related as it's superior in every manner (especially the warnings on stuff on road and police activity, not to mention redlight cameras and speed traps). I know there is a Korean company that makes a screen that can do this but the reviews are so mixed I don't want to go that route. If the screen was at least a quality screen I'd give it a shot but I read it's glossy and so reflects a ton during the day. sigh.

·
Registered
201 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts