Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I am so happy to have stumbled across this forum. It's been very helpful as I prepare to order my first GLA (and first Mercedes). I fell in love with the GLA the first time I saw one on display somewhere, and will soon be ordering my very own 2018 GLA 250 FWD with the following specs:
  • Exterior: Mountain Grey Metallic
  • Interior: Black MB-Tex (this is a gamble in Florida -- I've never had a black interior. But I'm so over trying to keep the beige leather interior I have on my current car clean, especially with a dog!)
  • Premium package
  • Convenience package (simply must have the built in garage door opener)
  • Smartphone Integration package (without Multimedia package - I don't see the need to pay for navigation since I'm planning to use Apple CarPlay -- please tell me if I'm wrong about that)
  • Driver Assistance package (this is the reason we're planning to order, since this package is nearly impossible to find on a lot)
I am undecided still on the following options and would love input from this group:
  • LED headlamps and tailamps (what is the benefit of this over what comes standard? Is it worth $850? How expensive are they to replace?)
  • Multicolor ambient lighting (I'm not sure exactly what this is, frankly, but it intrigues me)
  • Parking assist package (mostly because I want the 360° camera, but I don't exactly want to spend $1400 for this)
  • Satin Light Brown Poplar wood trim (my husband wants wood, but I don't think I like the look of this with black interior, and I definitely don't like the black wood -- I'll be going to see if I can see examples of the different options in person on the lot prior to ordering)
I currently drive a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, so this will definitely be a downgrade in size, but with one kid in college we're ready for a downgrade. And we won't be losing the cargo capacity of the Santa Fe altogether yet -- it's staying in the family since our son who will be a driver soon will be inheriting it.

Once we order, the waiting will be the hardest part!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum Wanderlust, many of us remember that challenging time of getting ready to order, followed by the long wait, tracking the ship with your GLA, up to final delivery.

You've got a lot of worthy questions. My two greatest disappointments when ordering were that it was before the 1 December 2015 start date for CarPlay/Android Auto availability in GLA production and that I didn't get the sensors that went with the Parktronic (which I didn't want). That's even better now with the 360° camera. Those sensors and cameras are big assists for the many GLA blindspots.

I was most pleased by the Driver Assistance Package. The Distronic Plus is invaluable, especially in traffic, and made me a believer when the emergency braking kicked in the moment I glanced at the passenger mirror to get into the right lane and the mini-van ahead did an emergency stop. It's the kind of accessory to me that once you have it, you never want a car without it again.

The multi-color ambient lighting is a fun accessory that is so subtle you won't notice it most of the time, but something that is pleasing on some level, just like the Mercedes logo puddle lights...just a nice touch.

We look forward to hearing more about your ordering and delivery progress, and then some photos once your GLA arrives. Nice to have you with us!

·
Registered
115 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on your choice of vehicle!
I wish the GLA had a Heads up display and a 360 camera when i got mine. I use parking assist whole load so i think for me personally, I'd take that option.
In terms of headlights. My car has bixenon which are great with the intelligent lighting package too which dips headlights for pedestrians and oncoming vehicles and also change angle into corners. it is very cool. I only have LED daytime running lights in the front and they dont use much power at all.
I believe certainly that LED lights should vastly outlast Bixenon lights by 4 or 5 times. If each bixenon pair of lights is around usd300, then you're going to possibly save money long term by going LED. Also they drain your battery less. Lastly they may be more "intelligent"than bixenons if merc have built in their auto dipping headlight tech in there. I cant comment on which are brighter though.

I've got the multi colour ambient lighting. It is quite a cool feature though doesnt add a huge amount in terms of practicality but i like it. Mine is set to cycle through the different colours.

If you're using mobile phone integration then there is no real need for navigation. I've got navigation and the main benefit for me is google maps dont display speed limits but the navigation does. There is also a separate traffic sign assist function which detects speed limits for the UK spec.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insights. One feature I forgot to mention is the panoramic roof. I really couldn't care less about this since I've never once, in 6 years, opened the sunroof on my Santa Fe, but my husband really wants it. This surprises me since he is tall and I figured he'd want the extra headroom. So I am reluctantly acquiescing on this point, since I do think it would be helpful to brighten things up since I'm going with a black interior.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The pano roof was a big question mark for us. It was my first post on this forum: http://www.glaowners.com/forum/introductions/10657-gla-panoramic-roofs.html

There has been other discussion in the forum where the utility of the pano roof is mentioned from time to time (type "panoramic roof" in the Search box on the upper right). The consensus seems to favor it, but not overwhelmingly. However, two years later now, I can say without any regret, even living in Hawaii, we have never missed it or even a simple sun/moonroof. We have the dark brown leather/black headliner interior, and it neither feels gloomy (we'd almost always had tan leather/headliners in cars for the last 20 years) nor is claustrophobic. In fact, my sense is the interior stays cooler with no glass liner and the darker shades. Two other associated aspects were also negative factors in the decision not to order: the white canvas cover which seems to be a dirt and bug catcher in the loaners we've had, and the wind deflecting baffle that pops up when the roof is open...just doesn't look right to me. Very simply, like a convertible in a hot sunny climate, it would likely only be enjoyable in early morning/early evening (my perspective).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Here is my input from through research before purchasing and after 2 year ownership

1)LED lamps, i would personally get this option as i find the regular halogen to be lacking, also to note you are also getting LED tail lights and other aesthetic changes as well (the eye lash day time running light ect..)
2) multi ambient lighting allows you to switch the interior LED (in the head rest, console, ect) colors at will
3) Parking assist is pricey but keep in might you are also getting the , "self park" feature built in front and back sensors, 360 camera AND motorized folding mirrors
4) its up to you

5?) Do note the pano roof doesnt have a solid lining on the inside. depending on where you are located the interior is open to the elements 100% of the time, a small amount of light will soak through the mesh and will heat up the car even in the "close " position. The pano roof also take up 1-2 extra inches of space next to your head in the interior.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just some input on the dog! I have the beige interior and the dog inhabits the back seat (a big time shedding golden retriever). I've purchased a dog hammock from Amazon which ran about 25 bucks and a fleece cushion from IMK9 (37 bucks), also on Amazon. Keeps the seats safe and also stops the dog from hopping into the front seat for a better view.

Reactions: Rothbury

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the trigger today on my order! In the end I opted for beige interior w/ the poplar wood trim instead of black interior (thanks RSM for the suggestion of the dog hammock... excellent idea and it's going on my Christmas wish list!), and added the LED headlamps and parking assist package from my "undecided" list but not the panoramic roof or multicolor ambient lighting. I also scored what I think is a fantastic deal at 11.45% off MSRP -- originally quoted from a dealer 125 miles away, but my local dealer matched it AND came in with lower fees. I would have driven 125 miles for a great deal, but I'm very happy to be able to give the business to my local dealer, who has been very helpful. Now the endless, impatient waiting begins!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats. You won't regret the LED headlights, I've never seen anything like them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations. The waiting period is like kids waiting for Christmas, but it's kinda fun. :)
Literally like a kid waiting for Christmas, since the dealer tells me the car should be here in mid-December, give or take. It will be an early Christmas present!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just thought I'd update that in the next day or two I'll no longer be a "future" GLA owner but will instead become an "actual" GLA owner, since I got the call from the dealer tonight that my car has arrived! I'm so excited!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum Wanderlust, many of us remember that challenging time of getting ready to order, followed by the long wait, tracking the ship with your GLA, up to final delivery.

You've got a lot of worthy questions. My two greatest disappointments when ordering were that it was before the 1 December 2015 start date for CarPlay/Android Auto availability in GLA production and that I didn't get the sensors that went with the Parktronic (which I didn't want). That's even better now with the 360° camera. Those sensors and cameras are big assists for the many GLA blindspots.

I was most pleased by the Driver Assistance Package. The Distronic Plus is invaluable, especially in traffic, and made me a believer when the emergency braking kicked in the moment I glanced at the passenger mirror to get into the right lane and the mini-van ahead did an emergency stop. It's the kind of accessory to me that once you have it, you never want a car without it again.

The multi-color ambient lighting is a fun accessory that is so subtle you won't notice it most of the time, but something that is pleasing on some level, just like the Mercedes logo puddle lights...just a nice touch.

We look forward to hearing more about your ordering and delivery progress, and then some photos once your GLA arrives. Nice to have you with us!
You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT the Ambient lighting is subtle. Yet far too subtle. They should of atleast have the same lighting as they do in the E class. The Ambient lighting in the GLA45 is just terrible. Even on MAX you can barely see it. Even though my gla45 came with it, there is NO WAY i would have paid for this option at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts