Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just uploaded service and fuel history into the Fuelly app just for the fun of it. I also cleaned up my files today. When I looked at the fuel stats are was surprised. I've owned the car for 5 years and my average fuel economy is only 22.9 mpg. I took a look at the window sticker and the car was rated 23 City. 29 Highway. I would have expected to have been at 24 or 25 mpg. My best tank ever was 26.9 mpg and that was an all highway drive Im sure. My driving was at least 40% highway if not 50%.

Anyone get higher? I'm a bit disappointed (with the mileage, I love the car).

·
Super Moderator
1,755 Posts
Short trips are deadly. Ultimate mileage is not obtained until the 20 mile point. When Pam was driving 4 miles to work she'd get mid teens. When I took the 500 mile freeway trips I could eek out low 30s in ideal conditions at legal speeds. But that was a very difficult drive. If I'm not thinking and planning for the hills that drops to high 20s at best. And cruise control drops that to the low 20s. The claimed MPG rating is for the most part unobtainable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My commute pre Covid-19 was 27 miles each way, 21 miles on the highway and I have 58K on the car but I guess it was too short a commute and there was often traffic on the highway.

·
674 Posts
Your driving style will have a major effect. Do you drive as if an egg is between your foot and the gas pedal or when the light turns green you depress the gas pedal to the floor? Do you have the setting on E or S? Are there many stoplights and stop and go traffic. I have a 2019 250 and seen milage be as low as 20 mpg driving around town short trips and stop and go compared on a 350 mile trip at posted speeds plus 5, no steep hills, and the temp around 60 degrees. perfect driving conditions. My average is 27 mpg with 44% highway and 56% city, using Fuelly. I do use the cruise control as much as possible to avoid slow down and speed up that can affect the mpg.

You have a 45, if I had a 45 I would most likely drive it different and have less mpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost always in E and I would not call myself heavy on the gas. I live in an area where there are a lot of hills.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One more for the sample. On long trips, (i.e. Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa, 500 kms or 300 mile trips, on 4-6 lane highways, averaging in the low 70's mph or 120 kph with A/C on, using the Distronic Cruise Control , the display and fill-up confirmation suggests we are consuming 7.4 litres per 100 kms or about 31.75 per US gallon). Our average fuel consumption based on the display and fuel purchase records, since new, is 11.9 litres per 100 kms or about 19.8 miles to the US gallon. Really do not keep track of consumption during local, short trip driving but it is not likely the 23 mpg MB says we should get for "City" driving. WTS, they are not testing in Toronto where the traffic is awful. We normally drive the car in the economy setting and seldom use S or S plus

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I calculate mine on a spreadsheet. I find the trip computers in cars to be a bit higher than reality,

Thanks everyone for the feed back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in W.Va and there are nothing but hills in the Eastern Panhandle. I'm using the 'individual' setting with the suspension and steering set to sport, with the engine and transmission set to economy. My commute to work is exactly 20 miles and am using cruise control whenever traffic permits. So far, in the short time I've had the 2018 GLA 250 4Matic, it's averaged 27.8 mpg. Gizmo (Mercedes-Benz GLA250) | Fuelly

·
674 Posts
I calculate mine on a spreadsheet. I find the trip computers in cars to be a bit higher than reality,
I use an app called Fuelly to kept track of car costs. Have used apps or like you a spreadsheet before there were apps. Never seen a display on a car MPG that would match the number of miles divided by gallon used MPG. The cars would always report better by a small amount.

Reactions: rvittori

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll get 30mpg on the highway with the cruise control on. First time I did the math I couldn't believe it. In the canyons I'm down under 10mpg sometimes. That mpg is almost like my old C63 every day and everywhere lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
More input, and I can provide a "before" and "after" perspective, unfortunately for me. What I mean by this is that 6 weeks back, I got into some speeding trouble. Forgoing the detail around that mistake and to stick with answering the Q on mileage....I had owned the car for about 2+ yrs. prior, and basically used it around town, suburbs, very little highway, but certainly also very little stop and go, but driven aggressively. Over this period with no thought about mileage I was getting around 22.7 mpg avg. So not bad at all.

After my stupidity, I decided that since I need to correct my behavior, I have not been using S regularly, just C, and instead of showing the AMG performance screen on temps, etc. I am watching the MPG avg. screen from reset some 6 weeks back. So, somewhat "egg under right pedal" you can say, no eco mode, I don't know how much you can trust someone that admits to struggling with the love for the right pedal, but I've been doing good. And given the same type of roads, more or less, I would actually say I am a bit more around town speed over this period, I am.......guess what......avg. 26.7mpg. If I actually had some real highway time I would likely be avg. around 27+, pure highway I can see avg. 29 possible for sure. I guess this also shows how much I loved that right pedal, I just have to save that for a local roadcourse if I choose to want to really work the car.

But my perspective is if you don't open up a 45 frequently you can get real decent mileage. I do anticipate that the 26.7 avg I am currently at will continue to trend down a bit as I get more weeks, but still think it will settle in around 26, over 3mpg more staying out of the gas given same driving roads.

Reactions: rvittori

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have aftermarket 18” rims, Alpha Tuned Computer along with both their intercoolers and intake with decat downpipe and no muffler. Just drove from Grants Pass Oregon to Los Angeles Friday which is over 650 miles, averaged 74mph and got 33.5 mpg via cars computer.

When I drive back tomorrow I’ll take a photo for my return trip. I love having this power and over 30mpg. It’s great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice but hard to believe that milage with that average speed. I need to look into the tuning you did. Is this a 45 of a 250?

·
Registered
71 Posts
GLA 45. I was in comfort mode the whole time. Ditch the heavy factory AMG 20” rims. It makes a huge difference. Just look at the Tesla mileage between their rim sizes. My car is lowered also and no rear wing. Properly tuned decated cars do get better mileage. And a lot more power.
And if you are familiar with the drive from LA to Oregon on the I5 it has mountain passes. Not all flat driving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is the most recent trip but with my stock AMG black 20” wheels and winter tires. Same drive as last time. Heavier tires and wheels, slower speed and less MPG as before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 15 GLA45 gets roughly 21-22mpg (hand calculated by gal/miles). Dash trip monitor (reset at every fill-up) usually averages 1.2 to 1.4 mpg higher than what is calculated.

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
I thought the 20" AMG wheels were forged and thereby lighter than the cast 19"?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts