Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Chevron is available in Alberta. Has been for decades (under card lock), and now recently available to service. 94 octane - No ethanol!
Gas Plus has 92 no ethanol Otherwise the only options are 91 with no ethanol are Such as Coop, Shell, ESSO 91.
Stay away from watered down gasolines from Huskey - 94/93 Suncor/ PetroCan 94 Mohawk, Costoc premium.
the ethanol blend beats down MPG and you lose power due to the unregulated amount of Ethanol. each time you fill, it is different, could be 3% one day, then 9% the next.
Yes you pay more for the higher octane gasoline only, but you also go farther as gasoline has more energy per mole than ethanol.
The only ethanol one should be using is E85 - set amount, otherwise, your getting watered down gasoline.
my Avogadro got moist when you said Mol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry but I just don't get the attraction to E85. Sure it has ultra high octane, but that's only advantageous if you have a very significant tune (Stage 2 or above). Pump gasoline 93 octane is plenty for most applications, including most stage one tunes.
Be reminded that using higher octane than needed to prevent knock (aka ping, pre-ignition, dieseling) is just a waste of money. Besides which today's smart ECU's compensate for various octanes, but of course you should use the manufacturer recommended octane, typically 91 for turbocharged engines. Caveat: We don't have 91 octane in my area (only 87, 89, 93) so I do use 93 most of the time.
E85 has less chemical energy per unit volume than gasoline so you have to use more of it to get comparable performance. Where's the economy in that?
I've had a number of small engine issues even when only using our State mandated E10-E15. Due to ethanol's innate hygroscopic properties (similar to brake fluid in that regard), carburetor seals prematurely fail and have blocked supply orifices (latest was my pressure washer, requiring a complete carb rebuild).
E85 does burn somewhat cleaner than gasoline, but given modern catalytic converters not a significant offsetter to me.
Ok, soapbox off.
I think the main appeal is probably the high octane rating. It's not a great alternative for normal commuters but, with just an upgraded fuel pump and injectors, I've seen tuners do some amazing things with bone stock turbocharged cars. The gas mileage is about 35% down compared to traditional pump gas but so is the price. The EGT's are significantly lower too. I've followed a few rebuilds of E85 motors and when the engine is disassembled it almost looks like it'd been completely cleaned and de-greased already. Kinda cool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the main appeal is probably the high octane rating. It's not a great alternative for normal commuters but, with just an upgraded fuel pump and injectors, I've seen tuners do some amazing things with bone stock turbocharged cars. The gas mileage is about 35% down compared to traditional pump gas but so is the price. The EGT's are significantly lower too. I've followed a few rebuilds of E85 motors and when the engine is disassembled it almost looks like it'd been completely cleaned and de-greased already. Kinda cool.
Yes! Id agree!
The appeal to Ethanol biofuel. - High octane - at the pump 'race fuel' , cleaner burn for environment and does keep engine internals deposit free.
Otherwise Ethanol:
Stinks bad!
Hard on injector seals (pin style) hard on fuel lines, hard on fuel pump seals. All requires upgrades. e.g. PTFE lines
Usually require BIGGER injectors and larger fuel pumps and supporting fuel lines due to the larger amount of fuel volume required.
Uses more 'energy' to make than gasoline - strike on environment.
You need more of it to go same distance (more frequent fills)
you are restricted to a certain geographic area that sells E85. (good luck making a country trip). - you'd have to have variable ECU calibration setup 'e.g. dual fuel sensor' - very costly to remove this roadblock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had before a mitsubishi lancer evo 7 tuned at 375hp max, with a Apexi AVCR i could choose the boost pressure to change the power delivered by the engine, at 375hp mode and 1.4 bar knocking was a probleme , to avoid this knocking i use octane booster. I drive my car on race track and I never had any problem.
In france I have SP98. when I drive this car at lower boost mode sp98 was perfect , when I want to enjoy max power and protect my engine I had octane booster. the noise of the engine even change at idle when I restart after full tank with one bottle of octane booster had. very smouth.

I wanted to try this on my gla 45amg, any way its never bad to have higher octane.

My opinion regarding E85 is that it give good power possibility for race car, but for daily drive car not modify for it, its dangerous. many parts on modern car are not suitable with e85, and people that face major issue on their engine because of use of e85 ( most of the time because its cheaper ) don't trumpet that fact.

Minimum parts to change on you car to e85 its fuel pump, hose, injector, exhaust catalyser remove.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I bought the 15 GLA 45 AMG this past summer with around 27Kmiles on it, I used Redline Sl-1. I currently use Archoil AR6200. Redline is good to cleanup things ON A PORT FI engine but I have NO idea how it does in DIT engines like we have. I hope what I am using is keeping the high pressure injectors clean. No "ill" effects at this point but we will see what ends up happening.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts