Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am just checking in to see if anyone used any fuel additives like Techron injector fuels sys cleaner on your 45s? May be MB has something?
Only use 93 gas for my 45. it has 54k now.
I always used it on my other cars, but for some reason forgot on this one :)
THanks,
C

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't, but my car is as yet low mileage.

I also have a piggyback (TP), with 4" intake (but not Alpha filter).

I use 91 octane gas, and only buy unocal 76 for my cars.

My car doesn't throw codes for pinging, but I'm questioning my reader now because you said (I think it was you) if you disconnect your performance exhaust flap motor you get a code on your reader (no light on dash), and I didn't get any codes while that thing was unplugged.

Also, no smoke or any other odd behavior (that I can't explain)

Not sure how helpful that is.

-----------------

Maybe you can help me. AMS won't (can't) ship to CA, and their dealers here are unreliable. Would you be willing to act as an intermediary for me for a couple Alpha filters? my 4" intake is from TP. The housing is nice enough, but the filter is pretty junky. I'd like to get a couple Alpha filters but am struggling to do it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure i can buy them and ship to you. n p.
pm me for my info.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just got off the phone with Vivid Racing.

Sheesh! 2 weeks of calling every AMS dealer in northern California and getting radio silence or a 'we'll get back to you" and... nothing.

It took 5 minutes of chat time with vivid including a check-back to AMS for stock, and it's a done deal.

I appreciate your willingness to help me. Vivid was a hail mary, didn't think that would go through. I think I'm good now though.

For my power train, this is the last piece of the puzzle. Then I can worry about brakes next year, and the car is totally done minus the stereo, which is never done :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice, how much are they at VR? free shipping?
C

·
Registered
308 Posts
Same price, same shipping. Bought 2, so I can round robin them if I ever clean it. So I can let it sit out for days and days to get bone dry.

·
674 Posts
I add Techron around 5k to my cars. One is 2016 GLA 250 24k and 2007 SLK 350 112k. On another form some MB dealers have told owners to use it when going in with complaint of cars getting poor performances.

·
Registered
2016 GLA250 4matic
11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
I routinely use StaBil 360 marine to cope with the ethanol-water in our fuels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do not be misled into thinking higher octane gas contains less ethanol. In fact, depending on the brand and region, it often is more. The octane rating of pure ethanol is ~100, but when it is blended with gasoline am told it performs as if it is > 110. In other words, higher-octane blends — like Petro Canada’s 94 and Esso’s 93 — often appear to use more ethanol, not less. WTS, Chevron Canada’s 94, available in British Columbia, apparently is ethanol free and it comes with a great additive package. I wish we could get it, or a similar product, in Toronto.

For those storing their vehicles for the winter (like some of us in the Great White North do), there are gasoline brands that offer ethanol-free formulations specifically tailored for a long shelf life (as much as two years). For those on a budget, a trip to Canadian Tire for some fuel stabilizer is usually good enough to preserve your pump gas — in Eastern Canada use Shell and Esso 91 stuff for over the winter storage — to avoid ethanol in your fuel system.

A little creativity, and some common sense, can help here. But higher octane rated fuels and third-party additives often are not the better way to go. Good quality, branded no ethanol gasoline is (IMHO).

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Do you have a tune that requires above 93 octane fuel to prevent knocking? :oops:
hehe

not on the AMG, but my MS6 has a versatuner, and I do run a healthy chunk of advance to take advantage of it ;)

And yeah, this trick requires tune access because the magic number is no longer 0.707

so I do not use it in the AMG

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm just finishing up a tank where I added the Techron complete fuel system cleaner. Just don't fill the tank full when you add it, only go to 3/4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do not be misled into thinking higher octane gas contains less ethanol. In fact, depending on the brand and region, it often is more. The octane rating of pure ethanol is ~100, but when it is blended with gasoline am told it performs as if it is > 110. In other words, higher-octane blends — like Petro Canada’s 94 and Esso’s 93 — often appear to use more ethanol, not less. WTS, Chevron Canada’s 94, available in British Columbia, apparently is ethanol free and it comes with a great additive package. I wish we could get it, or a similar product, in Toronto.

For those storing their vehicles for the winter (like some of us in the Great White North do), there are gasoline brands that offer ethanol-free formulations specifically tailored for a long shelf life (as much as two years). For those on a budget, a trip to Canadian Tire for some fuel stabilizer is usually good enough to preserve your pump gas — in Eastern Canada use Shell and Esso 91 stuff for over the winter storage — to avoid ethanol in your fuel system.

A little creativity, and some common sense, can help here. But higher octane rated fuels and third-party additives often are not the better way to go. Good quality, branded no ethanol gasoline is (IMHO).
Chevron is available in Alberta. Has been for decades (under card lock), and now recently available to service. 94 octane - No ethanol!
Gas Plus has 92 no ethanol Otherwise the only options are 91 with no ethanol are Such as Coop, Shell, ESSO 91.
Stay away from watered down gasolines from Huskey - 94/93 Suncor/ PetroCan 94 Mohawk, Costoc premium.
the ethanol blend beats down MPG and you lose power due to the unregulated amount of Ethanol. each time you fill, it is different, could be 3% one day, then 9% the next.
Yes you pay more for the higher octane gasoline only, but you also go farther as gasoline has more energy per mole than ethanol.
The only ethanol one should be using is E85 - set amount, otherwise, your getting watered down gasoline.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd love to have enough local E85 to run it all year but it's still too hard to find. Plus our turbocharged engines don't mind a tank of 100 octane every now and then. I'll usually do it every few months and it's amazing to see the ECU slowly figuring it out after you fill up. After a few miles of driving you'll defintely feel the difference too. If 14 gallons of 100 octane didn't cost me nearly $140 I'd probably do it all the time!

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
Sorry but I just don't get the attraction to E85. Sure it has ultra high octane, but that's only advantageous if you have a very significant tune (Stage 2 or above). Pump gasoline 93 octane is plenty for most applications, including most stage one tunes.
Be reminded that using higher octane than needed to prevent knock (aka ping, pre-ignition, dieseling) is just a waste of money. Besides which today's smart ECU's compensate for various octanes, but of course you should use the manufacturer recommended octane, typically 91 for turbocharged engines. Caveat: We don't have 91 octane in my area (only 87, 89, 93) so I do use 93 most of the time.
E85 has less chemical energy per unit volume than gasoline so you have to use more of it to get comparable performance. Where's the economy in that?
I've had a number of small engine issues even when only using our State mandated E10-E15. Due to ethanol's innate hygroscopic properties (similar to brake fluid in that regard), carburetor seals prematurely fail and have blocked supply orifices (latest was my pressure washer, requiring a complete carb rebuild).
E85 does burn somewhat cleaner than gasoline, but given modern catalytic converters not a significant offsetter to me.
Ok, soapbox off.

I'd love to have enough local E85 to run it all year but it's still too hard to find. Plus our turbocharged engines don't mind a tank of 100 octane every now and then. I'll usually do it every few months and it's amazing to see the ECU slowly figuring it out after you fill up. After a few miles of driving you'll defintely feel the difference too. If 14 gallons of 100 octane didn't cost me nearly $140 I'd probably do it all the time!

·
674 Posts
Interesting as my 2019 250 manual says do not use any Gasoline with more than 10% ethanol. E85 is 85% ethanol. To use E85 you need an engine that can run on Flex Fuel.

E85 can draw moisture out of the air so you get water in the tank, it is more corrosive to engine parts, is about 33% less power so your MPG goes down, and lack this important lubrication component. of gasoline. The electric fuel pump can fail sooner than normal due to this lack of lubrication plus the fact that it's working harder to pump 20-30% more fuel for the same travel distance.

I think I will stay with E10 or less fuel. Do have stations in my area that have ethanol-free fuel so will use that when it is convent to use. Being in a coastal area ethanol-free is here for the boaters. The as others have posted modern engines ECU can adjust to prevent spark knock.

Reactions: Wayne

·
Super Moderator
1,755 Posts
Additionally, in these times of less frequent fill ups avoiding ethanol allows the gas to last longer ... Non ethanol premium gas goes stale more slowly.

I add Stabil to my generator premium ethanol free gas to keep it "fresh" for a longer time.

I haven't gotten to that point (or at least I refuse to admit that I've gotten to that point) with the cars. But even the 35 gallon tank on the truck gets filled with premium these days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts