Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the first year service on my original new 2015 GLA45 completed, I was advised that my OEM front Continental tires (235/40 ZR 20) are Finished after 10,001 kilometers. Does this jibe with other owners experience? I am a retired engineer, I do NOT race(?) and it is not really a 'hot rod', is it?.

·
Registered
132 Posts
mmmmm.....reading your post i thought what a load of crap from MB so i checked mine, the fronts are nearly stuffed
There is a little left on them so im going to rotate them to the back and get a few more thousand out of them
It looks like they should be rotated every 5000 km as the rears still have plenty on them

·
Registered
816 Posts
The Continental tires on the GLA45 have a tread wear rating of 240 which is well into the "low tread wear mileage and high performance" category. Also, if you drive in C mode instead of S or M mode, that puts all the bias to the front wheels (whereas S and M mode programs in AWD with a 70-30 bias front to rear under normal driving and more to 50-50 in more spirited driving and with 360 hp on tap you could be wearing the front tires out faster than you realize. BUT with that said 10,000 Kilometers (~6,300 Miles) seems a bit low for a totally worn out tire. Are they going to check the alignment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continental Tire has asked me (very fast response!) to get the MB dealer to call them with a tire condition report for possible warranty action. (just came back from dealer)
I do understand the performance rating of these particular tires (I expected wear...) and would not wish for less on my GLA45. But that being said, and all the considerations being taken into account; just maybe there is a problem?
I suggested to my MB dealer's service folks that it would behoove them to get down to the details on this situation; they may themselves be pressed for further such information in the future.
According to the dealer after the service, per my query, the alignment was acceptable (no valid reason no to be...?). But, did they actually check it..?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Assuming you are not GJH over on the AMG Private Lounge forum, this might be an interesting read for you>>> AMG Private Lounge

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Continental tires on the GLA45 have a tread wear rating of 240 which is well into the "low tread wear mileage and high performance" category. Also, if you drive in C mode instead of S or M mode, that puts all the bias to the front wheels (whereas S and M mode programs in AWD with a 70-30 bias front to rear under normal driving and more to 50-50 in more spirited driving and with 360 hp on tap you could be wearing the front tires out faster than you realize. BUT with that said 10,000 Kilometers (~6,300 Miles) seems a bit low for a totally worn out tire. Are they going to check the alignment?
Thank you SSBGLA45

That info you gave about the AWD might explain the rapid front tyre wear, still it might be a MB oversight when testing the the tyres
Now I can blame the missus....HAHA

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2016 45 and the frt tires after 9000 km look like drag slicks. Even wear across both frt tires. Rr tires tread depth are 8.4/32" uniform wear on both rears. Like some of the other owners on this thread I am a "mature++" owner and so no hard driving to date. 95% driving done in C mode. One round trip of 2400 km taken on the Canadian prairies ( i.e. straight line to the horizon) cruising 100 - 130 km/hr averaging 100 km/hr taking into account construction zones etc. but not gas or meal stops. The rest of driving basically city/rural as we live outside a major city - all on pavement. Naively I was not checking tread wear until the 9000 km mark since planning to rotate at 10000 km. Will be talking with my MB dealer and will post final outcome.

At this time I am planning to buy a new set of tires - any suggestions? Car has 19" wheels. Planning on searching for "medium" performance and leaning to Michelin as I have had good experience with Michelin. I have winter tires for the car so new tires will be for non snow/ice conditions.

I enjoy the forum - thanks for the comments as it seems that a few of us are having problems with Conti tires for the frts on our cars.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I have a 2015 GLA250 4Matic and typically operate in "E" mode. I've not noticed any significant wear and no difference front to rear after 20K miles. My car came equipped with 19" Goodyear Eagles.

On the other hand, have a hard time getting 10K miles out of the rear tires on my Porsche. I rarely push the Boxster either, so assume difference is horsepower and gummier tread compound on the Bridgestone Potenzas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I went down to the MB dealer and showed them the tires. They sent pictures etc. to MB and two days later the dealer got back to me and said that MB does not warranty the tire on basis that the car is high performance and, as such, the tires are sticky, heat up on the highway and wear can be expected travelling at highway speeds passing cars. The dealer did offer to replace the two frt tires at a discounted rate but I declined. After doing net searches have decided to go with a complete set of 245/45 ZR 19 98Y Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. These tires come with a 70,000 km treadwear warranty (prorated) so we will see how they perform and last. Bonus for me is that the A/S tires provide some protection for the rim as the rubber extends marginally past the rim. I did call Continental and was informed to wait until I received a response from MB and if not positive to call back. Continental would then refer me to one of their tire dealers so they could have a look. I decided not to follow up as even with a discounted deal on two tires I did not want to be repeating this process again even if the tires lasted 20000 km.

The back tires were great with 8.6/32 tread left.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine wore out at about 6000 miles, I do drive hard but not crazy. Dealer said the Cont were the only company that made that size. Had not seen wear like this so checked alignment and Ed everything was right on. He sold me 2 tires at half price, not a bad deal. But of course these will probably wear just as soon buy at less I'm having fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts