Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new tags came in the mail today. The GLA came with the front mounting bracket in the trunk (not installed). My question is whether you would put it on or no?

I have gotten a ticket in downtown Portland with my Touareg for not having a front license plate, which pushes me toward putting it on the GLA, but it just looks so clean without the license plate.

Your thoughts and discussion are appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just put it on... As I get older I find it more of a pain in the butt to deal with the fix-it ticket then to look good. Once I got a no front plate ticket and didn't deal with it till last minute, well that last minute only cost $50 at the court but cost $1200 worth of missing work. Ever sense then I just put it on. Also here in LA it just gives a reason to pull you over.
good luck

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards putting it on.

Anyone know how? Does the dealer have to drill holes?

yes they need to drill holes (really just screw into it) In CA its the law they need to install at no charge. if you don't want it installed they have you sign a waver.
This is what I ordered "Rho-plate tow hook license plate mounting kit" was $72. shipped I have one on my GTR and it works nicely. every once and awhile someone bumps against it and it shifts but its usually not a problem.

Rho-plate for Mercedes-Benz

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another tow hook option

yes they need to drill holes (really just screw into it) In CA its the law they need to install at no charge. if you don't want it installed they have you sign a waver.
This is what I ordered "Rho-plate tow hook license plate mounting kit" was $72. shipped I have one on my GTR and it works nicely. every once and awhile someone bumps against it and it shifts but its usually not a problem.

Another option is the Platypus License Plate Mount from Cravenspeed Mercedes Platypus Pro-Series License Plate Mount - CravenSpeed Online.

I just ordered one, so I hope it works! Anyone else have one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
FYI, the Platypus Pro does generate occasional false park assist warnings. I've written to the mfr. and will post again once the issue is resolved one way or another.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hideaway plate systems are the way to go.

$50 for manual function

$100-150 for a remotely controlled motorized version. Best investment you can make.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I assume you have one installed? Do you have any problems with approach clearance (steep driveways, parking wheel stops, etc.) when the plate is retracted? What did you attach the bracket to?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Ordered mine last night - will share pics when it arrives. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I've had a hide-a-plate on my GLA since last year, and it works great. I have the manual version. I just flip it up if I plan on spending a lot of time on the interstate. It's typically only state troopers who go for the front plate issue in my experience... I posted about it on here, but I've noticed no one seems to use the search function of our website much. Admittedly, it is not a very good search engine... but...

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Fortunately Indiana does not require a front plate. Thinking about moving to a warmer weather state when I retire. No front plate and shall issue concealed carry permit laws are my prerequisites for relocation consideration.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Living somewhere warmer and having a remote high away plate system is best but i'd be concerned about them in colder places as the cold might cause it to malfunction. The latter is what i'd have to consider since we have to have front plates.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Damm you Mercedes

My new gla 45 came with the traditional European license plate holder
Unfortunately I live in oz ( not unfortunate just in this case)
And our numer plates are not as long so you get this ugly piece of plastic
Half filled on the front of you car.
Simple just remove right errrrr no because Mercedes has screwed this in to the front bumper and I have move the plate below in front of inter cooler so I have clean lines on the front but I have to fill in and paint the bumper...:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Number Plate Re-position

Hi Gadget,
What did you use to attch the plate to the under bumper grill and has the grill held up to any vibration or air pressure against it as it looks a bit flimsy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts