Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone knows if the halogen fog lights can be replaced with some brighter lights in line with the main Xenon lights?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
An aftermarket HID kit shouldn't be a problem to install to the fogs. Mounting points for ballasts might be a challenge, but I don't see why not! Be aware though, the fogs come on at odd times, like shutting the car down after you've already been running them, will turn them off and then quickly turn them on again as you exit the car. Constant re-igniting of Xenons will cause premature bulb failure and ballast/igniter failure... Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
Anyone knows if the halogen fog lights can be replaced with some brighter lights in line with the main Xenon lights?
The fog lights are standard H11 bulbs. I replaced mine with some Silverstars to match the Xenon's a little better than the OEM Philips halogen bulbs that were in there from the factory. Still not the same color temp as the Xenon but I'm happy with them.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Fog lights aren't supposed to be that bright. That is part of what makes them fog lights so I would just be careful of that.
That's actually a really good point! The brighter and whiter the output, the greater propensity for reflecting the water vapor. (The color spectrum of the bulbs probably effect this as well)

However, I think he's/she's asking for cosmetic reasons, but nonetheless, there it is... Install at your own risk?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Some fog lights are mostly for the looks but if you are looking to actually be able to see in the fog, you should not put in brighter lights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sweet Tooth,
You make a really good point. I was considering this mainly for cosmetic reasons but now I have to give it some thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sand!
Can you share the model of your new ones? Also some pictures?
How hard were me to replace?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Sand!
Can you share the model of your new ones? Also some pictures?
How hard were me to replace?
If the weather cooperates today, I'll try to get a photo. Unfortunately I didn't actually take any when I did the replacement.
Its not difficult; I just removed several of the clips and screws holding in the wheel arch plastic covers and then reached in to remove the bulbs and connectors. H11 bulbs are 1/4 twist to remove and install so they're very easy to replace.

As for the other comments on white lights not being good for fog, it may be my poor eyesight but I honestly have never actually seen any benefit from driving with fog lights on in fog. They just don't project much light down the road and at best only seem to light up the area to the sides a little better. I replaced mine primarily because when I'd unlock my doors at night and the fog lights come on, they looked terrible compared to the bright white LED driving lights. A silly reason to replace them but don't look for logic in decisions a man makes about his car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts