Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the GLA45 AMG w/20" tires. I've recently started experiencing a stutter or tire slip while turning at slow speeds (e.g. pulling out of driveway speeds, <5 mph). If you've ever had a 4x4, the experience is identical to when the 4x4 is engaged on dry pavement.

I've had the car six months and don't recall this during my test drive; it's very noticeable and obvious. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said it was normal, or at least peculiar to AMG versions of their cars citing the technician's experience with his AMG.

I want to call BS and the tech's experience could just mean his is broken, too. Before i go back, I'm wondering if anyone else here with a GLA45, or knows more about AMGs in general, is having this same experience.

thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I test drove a 2015 GLA 45 a week ago and noticed the same thing. The sales person said that it was not a full time four wheel drive and that maybe it was just the rears kicking in when it detected slippage. I am calling BS as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For many years the steering linkage of most cars has incorporated Ackerman geometry. This means when turning the wheels to full lock the inner front wheel turns at a tighter angle than the outer because it is making a tighter arc. Seeking better high speed handling, certain cars have now gone to steering linkage that keeps both wheels parallel when turning. The tires just slip a bit on tight turns to compensate for the mis-matching arcs. However, wide sticky high performance tires tend to grip not slip on those tight turns, until their conflicting arc causes them to break loose with a hop or chatter.

This has been a concern to owners of Corvettes too with their big wide tires. Some have switched tire brands and eliminated the chatter, apparently not caring that less sticky tires also eliminate the superior handling of the original tires.

The GLA45 is equipped with high performance summer tires for best possible handling. The skip/hop/chatter can be eliminated by switching to a lower performance tire or an all-season or winter tire, but maximum handling will suffer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's the tires and a stiff body. Had this on last 2 Porsches also. At first alarmed but dealer explained. So not that surprised when GLA45AMG exhibited same issue. Seems to vary with temp and pavement but usually only when tires are cold. Damp driveway in morning when first leaving is worse but after driving a little it's gone until tires are cold again. Cold weather is worse.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For many years the steering linkage of most cars has incorporated Ackerman geometry. This means when turning the wheels to full lock the inner front wheel turns at a tighter angle than the outer because it is making a tighter arc. Seeking better high speed handling, certain cars have now gone to steering linkage that keeps both wheels parallel when turning. The tires just slip a bit on tight turns to compensate for the mis-matching arcs. However, wide sticky high performance tires tend to grip not slip on those tight turns, until their conflicting arc causes them to break loose with a hop or chatter.

This has been a concern to owners of Corvettes too with their big wide tires. Some have switched tire brands and eliminated the chatter, apparently not caring that less sticky tires also eliminate the superior handling of the original tires.

The GLA45 is equipped with high performance summer tires for best possible handling. The skip/hop/chatter can be eliminated by switching to a lower performance tire or an all-season or winter tire, but maximum handling will suffer.
FYI
When I had my summer tires on, I had the exact same experience. With my Blizzak WS-80, the chatter has gone away.

Reactions: rayman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I have a GLA 45 also, I have been reading your comments on here, I don't see how its acceptable for Mercedes to put out a vehicle with an issue like that? In the cold weather it is extremely noticeable and almost embarrassing turning in a car park people hearing the clunking noise, have any of you spoken with Merc about it? and if so what did they say.

My car went in today and the chap said it was because of the winter tyres however, not many people change their tyres between winter and summer, what is someone had all purpose tyres? I think the car just has not been made properly?!

Surely all the GLA45 owners won't settle of for a noise like that?

·
Registered
816 Posts
This "issue" is not unique to the GLA45 or MB. Most performance cars having wide performance tires and some sort of locking diff(s) experience the same 'stutter', tire skipping etc. I owned two Corvettes, several MB AMG vehicles (prior to the GLA45 I now have), and several other performance cars and all of them exhibited to some degree the stutter etc. (the Corvettes were the worst…just the way it was and nothing could change it).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi guys I have a GLA 45 also, I have been reading your comments on here, I don't see how its acceptable for Mercedes to put out a vehicle with an issue like that? In the cold weather it is extremely noticeable and almost embarrassing turning in a car park people hearing the clunking noise, have any of you spoken with Merc about it? and if so what did they say.

My car went in today and the chap said it was because of the winter tyres however, not many people change their tyres between winter and summer, what is someone had all purpose tyres? I think the car just has not been made properly?!

Surely all the GLA45 owners won't settle of for a noise like that?
I don't see it as an issue. The scrubbing of summer tires in the cold or on tight turns in a 4 wheel drive systems is expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I've had problems with mine as well, had the car for about 6-8 months with no issues or noise etc then the front drive shafts failed and had to be replaced.
After this the scrubbing and knocking has started, reported back to MB and waiting for a response.
The noise is really loud and sounds horrible and is causing the car to judder, not good��.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, I would encourage all to consider the recent drop in temperatures as the cause. Mine was 100% fine until December. Now I can't get out of a parking lot without severe hopping. At 37F you can start to feel it. At 27F it's pretty obvious. At 17F there's no way to avoid it (and it feels like the front end is coming apart). Stiff suspension and stiff low profile sidewalls are working against us here. I do wish the system was smart enough to allow for low-speed turn wheel slippage, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. BTW - I've spent a (cold) week in a GLA250 (mine's a 45), and there's no sign of this issue. Totally different suspension dynamics. If you dislike this issue more than the looks and handeling of your low-profile 20's, consider an 18" rim and taller sidewall. Cheers

·
Registered
172 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, I would encourage all to consider the recent drop in temperatures as the cause. Mine was 100% fine until December. Now I can't get out of a parking lot without severe hopping. At 37F you can start to feel it. At 27F it's pretty obvious. At 17F there's no way to avoid it (and it feels like the front end is coming apart). Stiff suspension and stiff low profile sidewalls are working against us here. I do wish the system was smart enough to allow for low-speed turn wheel slippage, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. BTW - I've spent a (cold) week in a GLA250 (mine's a 45), and there's no sign of this issue. Totally different suspension dynamics. If you dislike this issue more than the looks and handeling of your low-profile 20's, consider an 18" rim and taller sidewall. Cheers
Do you have summer tires on your 45? If so they are not rated for use below 40F.

Reactions: rayman

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my CLA 45 AMG and they fixed it with a software update for the steering rack. I now have a GLA 45 AMG and it just started doing the stutter at 7,500 miles so I will be taking it in to have it repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WhiteRabbit - You are correct. I ran summer tires at all temps on my '08 AWD R32 and never a hint of this issue, so I didn't really expect it. You are spot on, though. A/S or winter tires would solve the problem (or at least provide enough traction to hide the problem). Oops, now I've done it. Blast away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well, i have my gla 45 with 20" all seasons, its winter in Toronto, and im having this problem too. its like several small crank sound when i pullout of my parking spot. is this just the tires? or something else?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes it's the tires, low profile and really sticky, usually only when cold, see previous posts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes it's the tires, low profile and really sticky, usually only when cold, see previous posts.
Thanks Tirgoman. Has anyone tried switching to softer winter tires to eliminate the problem? cuz i tried to hear it from the outside of the car and it sounds little glitchy. soon im going to the dealer to ask too. will update if they come up with anything surprising.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's usually when it's cold and then usually worse if the pavement is damp or wet. Just happens at very slow speed or when car is not moving, once you drive a short distance and tires warm up it'll go away. Had this on my previous Porsches also. No need for winter tires in Texas so don't know about switching tires.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts