Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Got a 2016 GLA250 4Matic a few days ago. Going through the learning curve.

So our question is about when (if) a flat happens. Since there is no spare in the GLA250, and since these are RFTs, we just drive to the nearest dealer to have the flat fixed?? What are the costs? (We are in MD, USA)

Another question, can we buy a replica of what the GLA250 now has on, and keep it at home, since we certainly don't have any plans to drive more than a 50 mile radius from home with the GLA250, - that way, we can just drive back home and change the tire then make arrangements for the flat...? Anyone here get my drift?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

All US spec'd GLA250s come with run flats (aka 'self supporting tires') and barring catastrophic tire failure (such as a tear out of the side wall) you have about 50 miles at 50 mph max to reach home? tire shop? etc. IF the tire failure is a puncture (say a nail) in the tread part it then many RFTs can be repaired (check which brand tire you have and then consult with manufacturer website to see if they approve RFTs being repaired…some do not endorse repairs of any type). If the nail puncture is in the sidewall then the tire is non-repairable.

Your idea of keeping a replacement tire at home is sound if you do not travel more than 50 or so miles from home base. There are no replica wheels out at this time matching the alloys used on the GLA thus you would have to get a MB wheel (thus more $$$) and tire matching what is on your GLA. Another less expensive alternative is to go with a non matching alloy (making sure the off set and bolt pattern match the OEM wheel) and drive on that set up until the tire is repaired or replaced on the damage wheel. If you change the wheel at home, make sure to use a torque wrench and follow MB torque spec for tightening the wheel bolts.

I would call around to several tire shops in the area you live and (1) see if they carry the type and size tire you would need if something caused the tire to replaced (and if not how long would it take to get the tire) and (2) can they repair run flats (Michelin for example requires repairs on their RFT to be done only by authorized Michelin dealers).

Run flats are about 30% more expensive than non run flat tires, so you might consider tire road hazard insurance. Of course if you feel that tire damage does not usually occur in the area you live then a one time tire purchase might be more cost effective than road hazard insurance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many BMW and Mercedes owners buy the spare tire kit, which includes everything you need wrapped up within the tire. I don't think I would off-road too much without this option, but with highway driving you should be ok to get to a dealer or tire retailer.

I'm not too interested in changing a tire on the side of the highway around DC (people are F!#ing crazy around here), so I do prefer run-flats, just an annoyance if the flat tire occurs in the parking lot after work and you have to wait on a tow truck.

BMW Spare Tire (Emergency Space Saver): Bimmerzone.com

·
Registered
201 Posts
Many BMW and Mercedes owners buy the spare tire kit, which includes everything you need wrapped up within the tire. I don't think I would off-road too much without this option, but with highway driving you should be ok to get to a dealer or tire retailer.

I'm not too interested in changing a tire on the side of the highway around DC (people are F!#ing crazy around here), so I do prefer run-flats, just an annoyance if the flat tire occurs in the parking lot after work and you have to wait on a tow truck.

BMW Spare Tire (Emergency Space Saver): Bimmerzone.com
^^^^^^ yup. Death wish if you try to change a tire on the BW parkway.

Reactions: ZomZom
1 - 4 of 4 Posts