Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I already have a list. Is it just me and my luck?

*Rear passenger fog lamp out.
*Squeaky rattle in guage cluster.
*Odd clicks turning sharp in both directions that immediately go away.
*Internet radio does not work.
*GLA can move up to 6" or more when driver exits depending on incline. Never had this on any of my other cars. GLA moves as soon as drivers pulls on door lever.
*Excessive fogging/residue on windshield in cold conditions.

Other than that I love this car and can't get enough of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Noises and rattles...

I've also got the instrument gauge rattle... I isolated this to the steeringwheel adpator... slide it in and out/up and down a few times and it seems to settle itself (probably the wiring loom inside the unit)... also have a few rattles from the pano-roof which sound like loose cables, plus the drivers side passenger rear light keeps working/not working as if there's a loose connection somewhere...

My GLA was one of the first to be made so I guess it's a tester for the build team... so maybe a few things aren't quiet right compared to newer builds? This is certainly evident with the noisy direct fuel injection unit that sounds like a diesel with an annoying clicking... MB say that as the component isn't busted they aren't prepared to replace it just because it's noisy...

But I still like the GLA...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Too bad to hear that you've been having some problems. The good news is that none of those problems are huge ones. All are minor. Hopefully when you take it into the dealer they can fix most of the issues. Some stuff, like the fogging windows, seem like they might be a bit difficult to fix though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I already have a list. Is it just me and my luck?

*Rear passenger fog lamp out.
*Squeaky rattle in guage cluster.
*Odd clicks turning sharp in both directions that immediately go away.
*Internet radio does not work.
*GLA can move up to 6" or more when driver exits depending on incline. Never had this on any of my other cars. GLA moves as soon as drivers pulls on door lever.
*Excessive fogging/residue on windshield in cold conditions.

Other than that I love this car and can't get enough of it.

I thought the rear fog only lit on the driver's side? Sorry to hear about the other problems. My only squeak comes from the cup holder on cold mornings. If I pull it out of the slot the squeak stops, I may try to pad it with some felt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Every car I've had with a rear fog light had it positioned on the driver's side.

Reactions: Xtheunknown

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It's an entry-level Benz. I feel like expectations are bit high... You all know I LOVE the GLA, however, I'm also fully-aware it is not an S-class.

It is 'less-refined,' and intentionally-so. I paid a LOT LESS for the GLA than I would for an S-class, so I'm not expecting it to be as quiet as a Rolls Royce inside.
I expect the ride to be a bit 'sportier/harsh,' it is the coupe platform of the CLA! I expect that fit and finish wouldn't be luxurious tuscan leather with swarths of alcantara and hand-stitching for only $34,000. It probably has some little rattles (mine has none) here and there, but nothing that should remove the driver from enjoying an otherwise, nimble, purposeful and really FUN Crossover vehicle!

And the ticking engine from direct injection is on just about EVERY car sold in america because it is designed to conserve a tiny bit of fuel. If you didn't like it when you were at the dealership, you shouldn't have bought it.

I suppose I just went on a rant, and for that, I apologize. These posts irritate me because they usually have more to do with perspective than the car itself. And the car is usually the one marginalized because it is inanimate :D

P.S.
The 'defrost' button works great for the windows. The excessive fogginess is related to turning on the seat heaters to high, and then having 98-degree human mass (and maybe 1 or 2 hot, human masses) entering a small, semi-air-tight capsule... Those warm bodies and convection of the seats essentially creates 'steam' from the opposing temperatures hitting each other. Be patient, crack one window and let the car warm up. These may be entry-level, but they do close up tighter and more solidly than a Kia. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's an entry-level Benz. I feel like expectations are bit high... You all know I LOVE the GLA, however, I'm also fully-aware it is not an S-class.

It is 'less-refined,' and intentionally-so. I paid a LOT LESS for the GLA than I would for an S-class, so I'm not expecting it to be as quiet as a Rolls Royce inside.
Well, I'm looking at the AMG model, with quite a few options to make it nice, and the price is slightly above a C63 coupe, so all the little rattles are the things I'm particularly worried about... because they typically drive me NUTS in a car. For 60k$ US, it would really really suck to have to convince myself to ignore them, because I know I wouldn't be able to.
I so want to buy this car, and I loved the test drive, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I would be paying premium for an entry-level Mercedes, and that has me worried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm looking at the AMG model, with quite a few options to make it nice, and the price is slightly above a C63 coupe, so all the little rattles are the things I'm particularly worried about... because they typically drive me NUTS in a car. For 60k$ US, it would really really suck to have to convince myself to ignore them, because I know I wouldn't be able to.
I so want to buy this car, and I loved the test drive, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I would be paying premium for an entry-level Mercedes, and that has me worried.
This is a new model year and as such small little problems etc can be expected but from my experience this car is well worth the price and in many ways makes my g37 inferior but the g37 beats it in quantity of little stupid cool features that do not effect my driving experience much. The only challenge I have is the fogging windows. I do not use heated seats and it doesn't matter what settings I use.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I'm a hypocrite anyways, because last night I was cussing at that stupid %&%^ lane-assistance 'beeping' on an old road with indistinguishable markings! :laugh: LMAO

Reactions: 23481

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If that stuff bothers you, definitely get the C63. A V8 benz is a glorious thing...>:D

The C-class platform in general has gone up a standard this year. Probably has the 'refinement' to suit you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too bad to hear that you've been having some problems. The good news is that none of those problems are huge ones. All are minor. Hopefully when you take it into the dealer they can fix most of the issues. Some stuff, like the fogging windows, seem like they might be a bit difficult to fix though.
Agreed. All minor not a big deal. Figured I'd share though. I'm just hoping that maybe there is an issue with the A/C in regards to the fogging problem that occurs when its only me in the car and no seat heaters on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If that stuff bothers you, definitely get the C63. A V8 benz is a glorious thing...>:D

The C-class platform in general has gone up a standard this year. Probably has the 'refinement' to suit you.
Well that's the thing, I don't want another car! I've read every review, watch all the videos, done all the test drives, and the GLA AMG is the perfect car for me on many many aspects (looks, performance, hatchback, can have a roof rack, MPG...). But I have to be reasonable, and make sure I put my money in a car I won't be frustrated with.
I know it's silly, but a rattle will bother me more than a mechanical problem where a part has to be replaced. Rattles, they remind you constantly that something is not properly built, and that "cheapens" your impression of the car. I can't help it, sorry.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I wrote a reply and then decided you weren't worth my time.
No worries, I was being self-deprecating anyways. I didn't mean to offend you, and I apologize. I realized later I went on a total rant, probably reinforced by the s*^&y day I had.

Good on you for not taking the bait.

Reactions: rb136

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I've also got the instrument gauge rattle... I isolated this to the steeringwheel adpator... slide it in and out/up and down a few times and it seems to settle itself (probably the wiring loom inside the unit)... also have a few rattles from the pano-roof which sound like loose cables, plus the drivers side passenger rear light keeps working/not working as if there's a loose connection somewhere...
One way we used to hide rattles from luxury cars (before the standards were raised to what we expect today) was we would use the soft side of velcro strips inside the crevices where squeaks or rattles occur. I had a squeaky, noisy middle console armrest in my Jaguar, so I mounted soft velcro strips all along the seams and inside the armrest. It tightened up all the 'play' in the poorly-met seams and attachments. Not guaranteeing this will work on some of these spots people are finding on the GLA, but it's worth a look.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another option instead of velcro is to use a wooden lolly stick with some foam (dark coloured is best), you can push the foam into the noisy panel joins with the lolly stick (wood doesn't scratch), this stops the panels making the noise plus remains unseen... you can also use insulation foam tubes for pipes to kill noisy wiring rattles, you cut a section off the insulation tube and slide it over the wiring where the noise is and tape it in place (usually you can find a way by popping out a panel to get to the wiring loom)... so far I'm nearing 30,000km's and the first rattles are coming out inside the car so I'm going to start to 'fix' them soon using the above tricks...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Enjoying my baby a lot even if the rear left door has this odd noise (sounds like the strike plate and door needs adjusting) plus the front right door needs extra insulation because I listen to a lot of music with heavy bass (don't have the Harman Kardon), no worries, the dealership will fix it for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody know if the AMG has the same level of finish as the 250, or if it's "higher end" than the base model?
Anybody with squeaks or rattles on the AMG? As bad as the CLA?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts