Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally had a chance to play with the new 2016 GLA250 and help my wife figure out some of its tech possibilities. I don't drive the car everyday, since we bought it for my wife. First off, it's just a fun little car to drive and play with!

My daughter loves the look and feel of the backseat space (for such a small car) and the panoroof is a big hit with all of us. We will rarely have it open, so the wind noise is not an issue, as discussed in another thread. But to give MB credit, even the owners manual warns that resonance noise can be created by the open roof.

Driving it is just plain fun, more so than I was expecting after the brief test drive we had before purchasing it. So even though I was concerned about the small size of the car and it being an entry level MB, I am very pleased with the purchase and it fits our needs for a in town "run about" extremely well. So far the only thing I don't like is that the passenger seat electrics are an option. WHY?? Just seems silly. MB is worse than many makes about having way too many things as options that should be standard on a luxury make.

That being said, my favorite feature is Apple Carplay. It's just the coolest tech since the invention of the in dash screen. No need for satellite radio, bluetooth, or an expensive in-dash NAV system. It's seamless integration is amazing and what you'd expect from Apple. All the important apps on the phone at your fingertips, integrated into the car with help from SIRI. It's just genius! I hated the previous in-dash NAV systems from MB and BMW, both were clunky and hard to use at times. All that is gone now, from text via voice, to navigation, to all your music, to phone services, to even my baseball updates (lol). This is a must have option on the car. And if you don't have an iPhone, then getting one is still 3 times cheaper than an in-dash system assuming you pay cash for the phone! So yeah... This is a wonderful invention.

An then there are the 12 channel LED lights. Hahaha... My car just came with them, they are fun and the colors change happily as you enter and exit the car. Turns the car into a disco at night. Not needed, but it does make you smile for no particular reason.

Very happy with this purchase...

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
So far the only thing I don't like is that the passenger seat electrics are an option. WHY?? Just seems silly.

Pleased that you are enjoying your purchase like most of us on this board.

What you'll find extra silly is that the 2015 models came with power adjustable passenger seat as standard. Perhaps a cost savings move by MB to hold down price of 2016 versus 2015?

But for 2015 we didn't get the extendable seat cushions, adjustable LED lighting, nor Apple Carplay unless, as I understand, your particular GLA was built after a certain date.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your GLA.

You be surprised to know that interior dimensions of the GLA is actually the same as the last generation C class, if anything slightly longer and taller

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? I had no idea. The car looks small on the outside (love the low, wide stance) but there is a surprising amount of room on the inside. But I would not have guessed that it had a bigger interior than the previous C Class. Good to know-

·
Registered
72 Posts
The size was a major factor in my purchase. I live in an urban area with an older garage that's pretty tight and needed the space. I wanted something compact but also comfortable and well equipped with adaptive cruise. There just weren't that many options, so here I am. Plus, that Harman Kardon stereo is amazing. Blows the Bose away. Is the car perfect? Of course not, but it's way better than almost anything else in the same class.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wow-1/2"? I thought it looked bigger. In seriousness now, I also really like the Harman Kardon also. And also like the Becker GPS (only in the 2015), even though some folks don't like it. I find it better than the GPS on my previous BMW. I especially like that I bought the module on eBay for $200.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I also didn't know that the GLA has the same interior space as the last gen C-Class. NICE!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congratulations! Enjoy the GLA unique fun of driving feeling. I guess, most people in this forum got attracted by it. As for the passenger front seat, they took the power seat controls out on purpose. It is to make the seat folding flat, to accommodate long objects such as surfing boards, skies, etc. Time will show, if that was a worthy step. My wife and I miss the power controls of 2015 and question the wisdom of 2016 higher preference to the GLA "Swiss knife " utility features.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts