Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Looks like im going back to Laguna Seca on Sept 3rd for another track day. I know my car will overheat and I will be logging the data this time with my laptop in the front seat. I had Weistech get me another ECU load that I can implement once the car overheats so I can continue to drive in another session. Does anyone know if adding an extra quart of Mobile one while racing will help? I know from my aviation experience oil is a major cooling factor, but those engines are air-cooled.

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
Too much oil in an automotive engine is worse than too little oil, has always been my leaning, although I try to keep it just right.

"When too much oil is added, the level in the oil pan becomes too high. That allows the crankshaft to come into contact with the oil and essentially aerate it. The result is a foamy, frothy substance that cannot properly lubricate the engine" - J.D. Power

Looks like im going back to Laguna Seca on Sept 3rd for another track day. I know my car will overheat and I will be logging the data this time with my laptop in the front seat. I had Weistech get me another ECU load that I can implement once the car overheats so I can continue to drive in another session. Does anyone know if adding an extra quart of Mobile one while racing will help? I know from my aviation experience oil is a major cooling factor, but those engines are air-cooled.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I went back again, got a 1:49 with a theoretical 1:46. Still lots of room left. It went into limp mode differently this time at about 9:33. I think it was getting too hot (oil got to 230f), but I didn't pull the DTC before I reflashed the ECU between races. DTC's were clear and did not resurface when I left the track. Before anyone bashes me for losing to a GTI should know it was heavily modified on race tires.

Is your gear reading right? Your car does 50 MPH in first gear? 25 mph at 3k RPM in first? 50 MPH at 4k RPM in 2nd?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Is your gear reading right? Your car does 50 MPH in first gear? 25 mph at 3k RPM in first? 50 MPH at 4k RPM in 2nd?
Don't trust the OBD readings, I noticed that too trying to see both my shift points and speeds, the Bluetooth connection is VERY laggy and inconsistent. I may opt for a USB wire next time, but don't like the wires. Looks like I'm going back on Sept 3rd, a Friday to Laguna Seca.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not with speedSF you arent, found another org to ride with? Motorsportreg doesn't have anything on the calendar :)

10-4 on OBD, I noticed the same on my footage. So I guess I'll ask directly, do you get throttle lag coming out of turn 11? It’s literally the only thing that bugs me about driving on the track (besides personal skill development)

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
Hooked on Driving suggests running your oil on the low side on the track. Frothing is a problem. Not only for lubrication but this can also kill your AOS.

I always run my 997 at the lower level. But the cooling does come into play. My oil runs 25F hotter than friends who run full. And with that heat comes expansion. More than you might think. My low level becomes an almost full level by the time the temperature reaches 275.

So more oil to limit temperature and reduce expansion, or less oil to allow expansion when the temperature soars? With over 140K miles I remain in the less oil camp.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Not with speedSF you arent, found another org to ride with? Motorsportreg doesn't have anything on the calendar :)

So I guess I'll ask directly, do you get throttle lag coming out of turn 11?
Not too much of a lag, I'm running high RPM in 2nd. watch at 2:02 on the video post #35. As I come up to the turn, I downshift from 4-3 then right before the turn I go to 2nd. When I hit the turn im between 4-5k RPM with plenty of power at the wheels. I could make the wheels spin all the way through the turn and into the straight, but I'm trying to keep them planted. Another reason I am getting an R compound tire.

Here is the calendar for NCRC.

NCRC 2021 Event Calendar – NCRC

Would love to see any of my GLA friends out there too!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts