Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Great! I'll see you there, I got off the waitlist and squeeked by the wife acceptance factor to register on 2-28. (Huge thanks for the org tip, it got me off my butt to do this). I'll definitely be in the novice class though. Booked full day instruction too, for whatever that will be worth given the Gorgonzola 19 restrictions. Just a measly 435 HP here, but maybe we can compare notes on tires, I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE71R's.

Are you on OEM brake pads, BTW? I put n Hawk HPS 5.0 last Sunday and am on the fence about them still. Which might change once I get them raging hot.

What was the issue with the wastegate? hope not just something simple like a loose bolt or seized up spring?

That's awesome! Hope to see you there. If you find us, feel free to park next to us. I will be in the black GLA45, with my friend in the brand new RED C8 Stingray. I'm using EBC yellow brake pads, with racing brake fluid. Whatever pads you are using will be just fine as you won't be pushing it that hard with all the traffic anyways. The event is sold out so I expect the Novice group to be crowded and slow going. I wouldn't worry about getting too loose, too fast, or abusing your car with this many cars on the track. You will be in training for your first 2 sessions and on your own in the afternoon. My data logs were showing the boost was dropping off during WOT, it may be normal. I won't be able to test the Wastegate until this weekend when my test equipment arrives. Don't forget track day insurance to CYA (I use Hagerty, expect it to be around $300). You will have a blast and want to come back again. I highly recommend you get trackaddict app (free) for your phone and a good phone holder to record the video, which makes for a fun playback with map and lap times too. I have watched my videos over and over to learn from them. I end up with 5 cameras when I race, For the record, I have only done this a couple of times and am no expert, just want to have fun, in my fun car!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Please ... Details on the fix.
All I did was replace the spark plugs. I had 52k on them and was told they should have been replaced at 40k. I am 90% sure the problem is gone, but I haven't had a chance to get it REALLY heated up, but so far no problems that would have been present prior to changing the plugs. Next, I am working on my ECU map (with Weistec) to see why the boost drops from 25psi to 22psi during WOT.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Cool, I was wondering how you recorded your video. I have a gopro mount, but no indications for speed or g force etc.

How do you mount your phone? I have a mount that will work just fine, but it sits far too low to catch the track for video. I was going to use a gopro for sunday. I may still and just try PiP with trackaddict

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cool, I was wondering how you recorded your video. I have a gopro mount, but no indications for speed or g force etc.

How do you mount your phone? I have a mount that will work just fine, but it sits far too low to catch the track for video. I was going to use a gopro for sunday. I may still and just try PiP with trackaddict
Track addict with your phone camera is your best bet. I use an HP tuners obd device that connects to the car for data, you can buy a cheaper one on Amazon for about $50 that integrates with trackaddict. I just use a suction cup windshield mount to hold my phone. Bring whatever you got and we can see about getting it all working for you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Went again, watch me drift turn 2 at 8:10. Set PB of 1:52, but I'm still not happy until I can get under 1:50. Tires (PS4) and the loose suspension is my weakest link. (Stock)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Still having power issues, this time got engine light 0x7E8: P0352 - Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit (Current). One more problem to try and figure out. It went into limp mode when this came up, but when it cooled down it SEEMED to drive normal, despite the error code still being present.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Now I am told I may have a bad coil(s) which could have been the problem all along.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
Bad coils could lead to bad plugs. Generally if the plugs come out clean, the coils are OK. If plugs are not clean, suspect coils, bore score, oil coolant mixing, or other problem affecting fuel trim. Of course, I'm not saying anything you don't already know!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bad coils could lead to bad plugs. Generally if the plugs come out clean, the coils are OK. If plugs are not clean, suspect coils, bore score, oil coolant mixing, or other problem affecting fuel trim. Of course, I'm not saying anything you don't already know!!!
Turns out I had a bad #2 coil, its the one right next to the turbo and when the coil got hot, it was creating misfires.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I use the factory 19x8 wheels with 235-45 19 Michellin PS4, I have tried the Pirelli Rosso and think they may have been better on the track, im going to swap them back out and try again. I was looking for track tires, and there really is nothing that fits the 19x8 wheels, I was looking at 245-40 which has a few more options.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I went back again, got a 1:49 with a theoretical 1:46. Still lots of room left. It went into limp mode differently this time at about 9:33. I think it was getting too hot (oil got to 230f), but I didn't pull the DTC before I reflashed the ECU between races. DTC's were clear and did not resurface when I left the track. Before anyone bashes me for losing to a GTI should know it was heavily modified on race tires.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm running ps4, not 4s, but the ps4 is a 320 tires, where the Bridgestone are a 200 tire. I'll call tire rack and ask, thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oh man.

That is exactly the tire I run on, in that size, including in Feb at Laguna Seca. The normal cost is $260 a pop.

$166 is a STEAL. If that deal is still going by August (it won't) I will likely buy 2 just to sit on for the next swap.

At 166, I suggest you try a set out of general principle. If you don't like them, you aren't out much. Heck, with 2 weeks of spirited street driving and one full race day at LS, if you didn't like them, I'd probably buy them off you for $50 or $75 each :)

Edit: for the record, I've been called retarded on this forum for running them because they are 3% smaller diameter than OEM. Don't care, I like them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
How did you like that tire, how is the fitment?

I went ahead and ordered them, really don't have much to lose at that price point.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The main complaint online is they get greasy. Maybe my driving is feeble, but they didn't feel greasy until the 5th session of the day, so they grip for a long time before overheating. You'll probably get them to over-temp faster than me, but couldn't tell you by how much, or if at all. I was also pulling 1.3 G in some turns, so I was dumping heat into the tires too!

They are called auto-X cheater tires, so they don't need much (any) warmup before they stick like glue. I like that because I had issues with the contis being un-predictable based on temperature. Hot, they stuck. Cold, less so. Potenzas, they just stick for me, no matter what.

Transition to greasyness (or not) and tire pressure management are #1 on my list to play with the next time I track. Maybe I was mistaking greasyness for driving at 42 psi, which is where I was at on session 5 compared to 34 psi for session 1.

I have literally nothing bad to say for session 1-4.

Finally, and probably most important, the Potenzas are super predictable and let you know well before they break loose. Even when they go, it is by degrees, not just all at once (I am told R-compound tires break free spectacularly when they finally go?). Frankly, I've only had them slip on me one time ever. Turn 11 at LS, got it on film and put on youtube for all to enjoy. Other than that, they don't slip on me, hot or cold. Never ever on the street.

Anything about fitment you are specifically concerned about? not sure what to say about that.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts