Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Honda Civic owner all my life. (43 years old) I have had 5 of them since I began driving....all new and put anywhere from 125,000 to 225,000 miles on each of them before selling and replacing. I have never had any type of failure or breakdown and ONLY had normal maintenance and W&T items repaired or replaced. Not a single major failure that had cost me more than $300-$500 during the whole time I have been driving Civics...not 1 single need to return to the dealer with all 5 cars for anything.

This is my first adventure into a nice car :)

Should I be considering the extended warranty? I put about 20-25K miles on a car per year but rediculously meticulous with preventative maintenance.

#1 - what would you do?

#2 - if I am considering the extended warranty should I buy it from my dealer or is it like my motorcycles where I can buy the extended warranty from any dealer in the country and some will negotiate? (e.g. My Honda Goldwing warranty from my delaer was $1800 for 5 additional years but a dealer in Kentucky discounts it to a touch above his actual cost) This is a Honda Factory warranty not aftermarket.

#3 - what's the normal terms and prices for the extended warranty?

Suggestions, thoughts, advice.....

Plan on keeping the car for 5 or 6 years.

Thanks fellas.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
My opinion is that extended warranties rarely pay off, especially for someone like you who does all the proper maintenance. My Porsche Boxster was my first foray into a more exotic and expensive car. I am the second owner and purchased it just out of factory warranty. Like you I was concerned about getting stuck with an expensive repair, and opted to spend $3500 on a 3 year/36K policy. Worst decision I ever made during a car purchase. I've performed all the maintenance myself, and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Worst problem in ten years of ownership was a check engine light for emission control. I fixed that with the advice of the people on the Renntech Porsche board by cleaning the MAF sensor at a cost of $11 for the MAF cleaning spray. Thus extended warranty was a total waste.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It comes down to how risk averse you are, as well as the cost of the warranty.

I'm an extended warranty advocate from prior experiences. I passed on the $900 extended warranty on my purchased as new 2001 Honda Odyssey and once it was out of warranty ended up spending at least $2,000 on various repairs until we sold the car. After that, I have always purchased extended warranties on the subsequent Hondas, Acuras, and Nissans. All subsequent cars had nav systems whose replacement alone would cover the warranty. I never paid more than $1,200 for extensions out to 7 years and 125k miles.

While I had my Z, I purchased a MINI Cooper Countryman to use as a daily driver. I did not get an extended warranty/maintenance program on that car. It was covered for four years, so I knew I would trade it in before that.

Well, the whole third car thing got to be a drag, and I ended up with a Z car in the garage that I never drove. Long story short, I sold the Z (the extended warranty helped clinch the deal), and traded in the MINI on my GLA.

I did purchase the four years of maintenance on the car after beating down the dealer on the cost. I'm not getting a warranty though. Way too expensive for me, and I'll never hit the mileage limit any way.

I put less than 10K a year on the car, and now have an incentive to trade it in in four years - which is obviously the intent of MB (and MINI/BMW too).

Due to the cost of an extended warranty on these cars, I agree 100% with Boxster - the risk reward paradigm changed for me significantly.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the Club!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
My extended warranty on the CPO 2008 E class I just traded more than paid for itself in the time I owned the car and its expiration was main reason I traded it in on the GLA. Mercedes parts are expensive and living in an area without any good Independent shops forces me to rely on the dealership.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Take the price of the extended warranty, throw it into a savings account. If you run out of warranty, the money will always be there for the repair. If the repair never comes... You get your money back.

Reactions: wramir01

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the way Honda did it....although I never bought it.

Buy it...if you never use it...we will give you your money back.

Need to price it out. Under $1500 I may go for it.

Need to look into the "maintenance" package too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts