Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up a 2015 GLA 45 in Stuttgart, next month. (excited)

I just found out, if the order was submitted a week later, my new car would have the upgrades, including 381hp. (pissed off)

"Too bad, the car's already built", said the dealer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
LOL, I can understand your bitterness. Do you think your dealer knew this when you put the order through or was he in the dark about it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the pisser. The very day I called my local Mercedes dealer to finalize the deal, the factory representatives, from Germany, were in house, inspecting the dealership. I asked the sales person to ask them if there was anything in the near future, I should wait for. She said she would be glad to ask them, and would call me right back. She soon returned my call and assured me, no important changes were in the offing, and I could rest, assured, I was making the right choice. A week later, I learned AMG changed the valves and ECU settings which increased the HP and torque, to be effective IMMEDIATELY!!! Since then, I've learned it's too late to change my order.

I'm just venting. The GLA 45 I'm getting is still a technical masterpiece, I can live with.

I'm really excited about being able to drive it through the Black Forest and into the Alps, then drop it off in Munich! Ja baby!

·
Registered
243 Posts
It seems like the sales person was in the dark on this one. She wouldn't really be out any commission by waiting a day or two to finalize the deal. Blame the company not the sales lady.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have already made all reservations, flight schedules, and plans with eight friends to meet us in Praha, after we drop the car off in Munchen. It's too late to change, I'm legally bound in this agreement, and will lose thousands, if I back out, at this time, or flip it when I receive delivery. Correct me, now, if I'm wrong.

I'm "stuck" with the car in which I fell in love, on a test drive. The thing is, unlike most, I keep and maintain my cars. I still have a 1983 VW GTi, a 1988 Merkur XR4Ti (Project car with 500 HP at the rear wheels), a 1999 Volvo V 70 R, and my wife's 2003 Jaguar S Type, all of which, I purchased new. I will have to live with the fact that, because of bad timing, I'll be driving somewhat of a lesser car than I could have.

Until reading your advise on the Renntech chip, I entertained plans on going to the headquarters, in Florida, this coming winter. Having already talked with a representative at Renntech, the plan was: meeting the owner, getting a tour of the facility whilst having the chip installed, and driving away in a proper GLA 45 with 414 HP and ~395 Ft/Lbs. of torque. Like you, Crabman, I'm afraid, without the AMG upgraded transmission and valves, the newest GLA 45's are getting, I doubt the drivetrain will last. Unlike you, however, I can't afford the cost of fixing what inevitably will break.

The bottom line is, most of the Petrol-heads I know, would love to be "stuck" with my new AMG (Ach Meine Gott, which is German, for OMG). I'm sure I'll have years of enjoyment driving it and the memories of exploring parts of Europe in it, with my wife, will remain priceless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I refer you to post #3 , alcatraz. I don't know if she actually did ask the Mercedes inspectors, if they didn't know about the upcoming plans, or lied.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hoffman I did not mean to say the parts will break nor was I implying it, I do not know what the long term durability of the driveline is when subjected to higher hp numbers and I don't think anyone outside of AMG does since no one nor any performance shop has had either a CLA or GLA long enough to make it to the completion of the warranty let alone the years after. Realistically you don't know till a body of modded vehicles have passed the test of time. I was only trying to say that a person should be prepared for what may come and capable of dealing with it if they want to play. It is telling to me that at launch the power transfer to the rear is quite slow which was not an accident, it was done to protect something in the driveline but we don't know what. But then I don't think the power is the important change anyways since it will hardly be discerned in day to day driving. It is the dampers and the dynamic drive that matter, all the rest is good to have in the more is better vein but those two things are what transforms the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'm a little gun-shy. I recently put thousands into the engine of the aforementioned Merkur. On the way back from the All Fords Nationals, in Carlisle, PA, this June, three of the four pistons melted as I was driving home on the PA turnpike. NOT what I needed...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I understand, I've had occasion to take a sip from the same cup of pain. One thing about being old is at some point you learn that sometimes there just isn't much you can say. You want to, you think you've learned all these things through hard earned experience and there must be some way you can be helpful but there just isn't anything there. You're in one of those spots life puts you in where you are going to take it so you may as well take it well. I wish I had better.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ah, if you can't change or it, or aren't up for the fight and the impact on your trip, then don't even think about it anymore. Water under the bridge.
So now that you've forgotten all about it and are looking forward to your trip, here's a good route I just did with my new GLA a few weeks ago: The German Alpine road or Alpenstrasse | LosApos.com
Make sure to ask Mercedes for a EU GPS unit before you head over to pick up your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts