Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GLA250 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. This is one very memorable T'giving for me as I couldn't start my GLA for the first time since I've owned it (Mar '20). Well. I sort of could but then couldn't again. Allow me to explain.

Last night I drove home from work and screen displayed "Blindspot Assist Inoperable" upon engine starting-up. I never saw this before but after one errand stop, display never showed message again and amber yellow triangles disappeared from side mirrors. So all was good, I thought.

Went home and put GLA on Battery Tender (which I use frequently).

All of today while GLA was sitting in garage, Battery Tender light lit up green as expected. As I tried to disconnect BT from GLA (but not quite detached), BT light turned to red, which was strange.

I got in and couldn't start engine using keyless. I could tell it attempted & struggled to but to no avail.

I inserted the key manually into slot and succeeded in starting its engine. I let it run for 10min, manually switched off key, resumed to start it (manually) but couldn't succeed.

It's now sitting at my garage with BT re-attached. If I manage to start it again tomorrow, is it safe to drive to my dealership 25 miles away?

And if not, any special instructions I should give AAA apart from using a flatbed?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hope your Thanksgiving was much more enjoyable than mine...

Ed

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Once started you should be safe to drive but ... if the battery is flaky with an internal short you could suffer voltage variances that could affect sensors and cause problems. Swapping the battery is easy requiring just a 10 mm wrench (to remove the cables) and a 13 mm socket with extension and ratchet handle (to remove the lock down plate). The battery has handles to lift it but it is fairly heavy. Otherwise you're right about the flat bed.

·
Registered
2016 GLA250 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the main battery. Battery Tender gave me the false sense of security all this time when battery read only 10+V when idling last night. I distrust BT from now on. Also, would it kill MB to give me a message of "low voltage detected" before it quit on me entirely? What if I got stranded on a remote locale under blizzard condition?

Nevertheless, happy that issue is resolved now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts