Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 GLA250 with 5500 KM.

Car was always at 90 C when driving at operating temps.

Today, engine temperature started moving sort of erractically.

Driving at 80km/h, car was warmed up (been driving for about 25 minutes). At the 55 second mark of the video, the temperature just drops below 80. Notice that I'm still in 7th gear and driving. After about a minute it gets back up to temperature.

Thoughts? Thermostat seems to be the culprit, but seems really early for that.

Some similar threads

Temperature fluctuations
Water pump failure

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some fluctuation is normal. I’ve had two 45’s and usually it’s 199*F (looking at the AMG screen) but it can fluctuate 180-201*F.

Your gauge seems to be acting funky tho, I’d check into the thermostat

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
A thermostat can go bad at any time and that would be my first item to check, especially as they are relatively inexpensive. Of course it could also be a bad temperature sensor feeding erroneous data to the gauge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2019 GLA250 w/ 5700 miles on it. Mine does the same thing. It concerned me, but after obsessing about it and reading several threads on here, I believe it's normal.

2020 GLA250 with 5500 KM.

Car was always at 90 C when driving at operating temps.

Today, engine temperature started moving sort of erractically.

Driving at 80km/h, car was warmed up (been driving for about 25 minutes). At the 55 second mark of the video, the temperature just drops below 80. Notice that I'm still in 7th gear and driving. After about a minute it gets back up to temperature.

Thoughts? Thermostat seems to be the culprit, but seems really early for that.

Some similar threads

Temperature fluctuations
Water pump failure

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2019 GLA 250 coolant temp. seems to always fluctuate between 80 and 90 c regardless of engine load. I will be having this checked for peace of mind. I posted a similar thread about 5-6 weeks ago

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
As RPM goes up and down and your actual speed can cause varying temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve a 2016 GLA with 72,000 miles. After the service A performed by dealership, the temperature gauge jumps up to max over 120C with warning message “coolant too hot turn engine off” message. First dealer changed the thermostat but the message came up again in two weeks. I sent the car to dealer to check while sitting a whole week in dealer they couldn’t find any issue. When I got back my car today, afternoon still ok, but evening it happened again but no warning message. After about 2 minutes to max 120C, it bounced back to 80C, then gradually to 90C. Something wrong with GLA class.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts