Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
Out of curiosity, does your 2018 have hood insulation? Is it a 250 or a 45?

Turbos run hot. The 45 more so than the 250. Hood insulation would keep the heat in for a long time, releasing it mostly along the edges.

Post some pictures and let us know your thoughts on your new ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
These cars are not significant heatsinks. Other cars accumulate and retain far more heat than these. On a hot day of course they will cool slower.

Hood insulation (for those who have it), as Wayne says above, retain heat longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have noticed that my car stays warm for a while - esp in the garage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
GLA engines runs VERY hot, whether it is the AMG45 or the M270 engines; the turbocharger by definition harness the hot exhaust gases and propels the turbine to incredible rpm's thereby generating huge amounts of heat in the process. Then you have intercooler to cool off the compressed air prior to intake. All these components generate more heat than normally aspirated engines. Make sure your little circulator pump (part #0-392-023-206 ) is running after engine shut down. This is not the main water pump. It should run till the coolant drops to a pre-set temperature after engine is OFF. It is located underside, at the edge of front bumper bottom shroud. With engine OFF, touch the circulator pump - it should hum. I think this is to dissipate the heat after engine shut down and during Auto/Stop. If it is not running you should have error code. This should be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With all due respect... GLA engines do not run very hot. I know engines which run hot and these are not it.
My bad. I agree with you, M270 series engines do not run any hotter than similar engines. I popped the hood open, removed the inner sound shroud and found out that I could still put my bare hands on the top of engine head on intake side. The heat is generated by the turbo, there is an intercooler at bottom of radiator and when the cooling comes more heat is dissipated. The hot air gets pushed up at front of the engine, and if you look at underside of the hood there are three vents, and was wondering if the hood acts like a plenum to dissipate the blown heat from the engine cowl.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
Interesting about those three vents. You are correct about the source of the heat. Those vents would imply that the heat has an escape path and the hood insulation shouldn't trap much heat but would help keep the paint cooler.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
The intercooler is in the typical place co-located with and in front of the radiator. This is so one airstream/fanset slipstreams/pushes air thru both. Also typically the intercooler is mounted somewhat lower than the taller radiator but is also typically a bit thicker.

btw: contrary to remarks above I find our MY2108 GLA 250, with no hood insulation, remains quite hot for quite a long time, easily 2-hours or more. The Benz engineers squeezed a lot of power out of this 2-liter 4-banger, of course much more so for the GLA45. Fortunately the hood/bonnet is aluminum which is an excellent heat sink/radiator in itself.
Where is the intercooler actually, i c the air entering to the box and then straight to the charger??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts