Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2018 GLA 250 it has 11,000 miles on it. I wanted to ask about the ECO feature that shuts down the engine when you are stopped.
If I use it all the time will it cause a problem down the road as I put more miles on the car. I know many here have had their GLA's for many years and is it still working the way its supposed to.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have just bought a 2018 GLA 250 it has 11,000 miles on it. I wanted to ask about the ECO feature that shuts down the engine when you are stopped.

If I use it all the time will it cause a problem down the road as I put more miles on the car. I know many here have had their GLA's for many years and is it still working the way its supposed to.
Welcome @fullermt53 I have about 83K miles on mine, so far so good. My wife hates this feature. And I think many don't like it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
From the opposite end of the spectrum, if you don't drive your GLA often, days between use, the auxiliary battery it works from does not stay charged and the feature stops working. There is a very large volume of community discussion on this topic in our Search feature (upper right of most browsers), just type "eco start/stop" for numerous threads and posts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ours did not work and had an error message on the dash.

We took it into an MB dealership and they did software updates and changed out the auxiliary battery and all good. This was about a year ago and all still ok

·
622 Posts
I started with 2016 250 and in the first year had problems with the ECO. The dealer replaced both batteries and updated the firmware. Drove it for more than 2 more years and returned it at the lease end and 33k miles and it was working great. Now have 2019 250 for 6 months and no problems. Several others have also reported the same problems with the earlier version but after update of firmware it was fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2016 GLA 250, and had it back to the dealer half a dozen times in the first 2 years of ownership; the Eco system rarely worked. I retired and moved north out of Sydney in 2018, and had the second year service at a dealer in Newcastle (NSW - not the UK). They updated the software and it's been fine ever since.

I've now done 23,000 kms in 4 states and the Eco system is great in light traffic. No real use in heavy, congested traffic.

A lot of small things with this car have been software related. It's refreshing to find a dealer whose service team can make things work the way they should.

·
622 Posts
I have a 2016 GLA 250, and had it back to the dealer half a dozen times in the first 2 years of ownership; the Eco system rarely worked. I retired and moved north out of Sydney in 2018, and had the second year service at a dealer in Newcastle (NSW - not the UK). They updated the software and it's been fine ever since.

I've now done 23,000 kms in 4 states and the Eco system is great in light traffic. No real use in heavy, congested traffic.

A lot of small things with this car have been software related. It's refreshing to find a dealer whose service team can make things work the way they should.
Dealerships can make a difference. They can hire good techs who attend training classes and are aware of tech bulletins sent out. Then there are dealers who use what was once called shade tree mechanics. Cars have changed and require more than just turning a few bolts there is now a big technical side to cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts