Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On page 145 of the U.S. Owners Manual under "ECO start/stop function," it says: "The engine can be switched off a maximum of four times (first stop and three subsequent stops) in succession."

Do I correctly understand this to mean that the ECO start/stop system will only turn off the engine four times per trip? I come to a complete stop many more than four times on my daily commute and would find this a rather odd behavior.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am not exactly sure what this phrase means, but I do know that it is not meaning that the stop/start tech will only engage four times during your trip. I think that it could be saying that if you are in stop and start traffic, the engine will only turn off and on four times and then will just continue to run instead of turning on and off continuously when you are in heavy traffic. That wouldn't be efficient. The system is more meant for red lights than traffic congestion.

That is my educated guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Sweet Tooth. Good to know that it won't change behavior after four stops.

·
Registered
136 Posts
resurrecting this..... wife just called and said that she didn't turn eco button off, but it was off. No sure if she started and stopped 4 times. We've had some issues with slow starting (not in eco), but dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

Anybody know more about this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Saw on the CLA forum that someone "noticed" that the eco mode doesn't engage if seat belt OFF. She didn't have it on till later in drive. Eco wouldn't come back on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
yes start/stop feature turns off if you remove the seatbelt.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not necessarily. Its just that start/stop doesn't activate right away. The "A" symbol on the instrument cluster has to be surrounded by a green box for the function to actually work. There are some pre-requisites that has to be met before start/stop to start working and I think the seatbelt being used is one of them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm very confused on the start/stop function. I tried seat belt on and off, and still the start/stop is ON (other than once for my wife). Sometimes (with start/stop ON) the car stops at a traffic signal, but other times no. At long red lights it sometimes restarts even with the brake pedal still depressed. There seems to be no discernible pattern to its function.

I guess I could read the manual.....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here is what the manual says about the ECO system:

ECO start/stop function

Introduction
The ECO start/stop function switches the
engine off automatically if the vehicle is stopped
under certain conditions.

The engine starts automatically when the
driver wants to pull away again. The ECO
start/stop function thereby helps you to
reduce the fuel consumption and emissions
of your vehicle.

Important safety notes

WARNING
If the engine is switched off automatically and
you exit the vehicle, the engine is restarted
automatically. The vehicle may begin moving.
There is a risk of accident and injury.
If you wish to exit the vehicle, always turn off
the ignition and secure the vehicle against
rolling away.

General notes
ECO start/stop display
If the engine has been switched off automatically
by the ECO start/stop function, the
¤symbol is shown in the multifunction
display.

The stop/start function is automatically activated
each time you start the engine with the
SmartKey.

AMG vehicles: the ECO start/stop function
is only available in drive program C.

Automatic engine switch-off
If the vehicle is braked to a standstill in D or N,
the ECO start/stop function switches off the
engine automatically.

The ECO start/stop function is operational
when:
>the indicator lamp in the ECO button is lit
green.
>the off-road program is deactivated.
>the outside temperature is within the range
that is suitable for the system.
>the engine is at normal operating temperature.
>the set temperature for the vehicle interior
has been reached.
>the battery is sufficiently charged.
>the system detects that the windshield is
not fogged up when the air-conditioning
system is switched on.
>the hood is closed.
>the driver's door is closed and the driver's
seat belt is fastened.

-All of the vehicle's systems remain active
when the engine is stopped automatically.

- The HOLD function can also be activated
if the engine has been switched off automatically.

It is then not necessary to continue
applying the brakes during the automatic
stop phase. When you depress the
accelerator pedal, the engine starts automatically
and the braking effect of the
HOLD function is deactivated.

- The engine can be switched off automatically
a maximum of four times (first stop
and three subsequent stops) in succession

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread again, but I think Google has indexed this particular thread pretty high in their search results (it's shown up in a lot of Google searches I've done) so there are probably quite a few people who still see this thread, and I think I may know the answer.

On page 145 of the U.S. Owners Manual under "ECO start/stop function," it says: "The engine can be switched off a maximum of four times (first stop and three subsequent stops) in succession."

Do I correctly understand this to mean that the ECO start/stop system will only turn off the engine four times per trip? I come to a complete stop many more than four times on my daily commute and would find this a rather odd behavior.
I believe I discovered what this means while waiting a LONG time to turn left at a stop sign. Traffic was very busy, and several times I took my foot off the brake, only to reapply it a moment later when I realized the opening in traffic wasn't enough. While I did this, the engine would shut off while my foot was on the brake, and turn on again when I took my foot off the brake, up to the fourth time and then it just stayed on. So I think the "maximum of four times" part means a maximum of four times PER STOP. It probably resets the counter in second gear, or at about the same point where the doors would automatically lock (if they had been unlocked).

resurrecting this..... wife just called and said that she didn't turn eco button off, but it was off. No sure if she started and stopped 4 times. We've had some issues with slow starting (not in eco), but dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

Anybody know more about this?
I think your question is answered by this bit of the manual (quoted from SSBGLA45's post). Note that even when the temperature and everything else is within normal ranges, ECO mode may leave the engine running (or turn it back on while still stopped) if the battery needs additional charging, and that can happen several times in the same trip, so it often doesn't kick in because of that...

The ECO start/stop function is operational
when:
>the indicator lamp in the ECO button is lit
green.
>the off-road program is deactivated.
>the outside temperature is within the range
that is suitable for the system.
>the engine is at normal operating temperature.
>the set temperature for the vehicle interior
has been reached.
>the battery is sufficiently charged.
>the system detects that the windshield is
not fogged up when the air-conditioning
system is switched on.
>the hood is closed.
>the driver's door is closed and the driver's
seat belt is fastened.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Funny thing, now that I've had the car for several months, I don't even notice if it's on or off. I find myself using the Hold function all the time. In stop and go traffic I tend to turn ECO off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funny thing, now that I've had the car for several months, I don't even notice if it's on or off. I find myself using the Hold function all the time. In stop and go traffic I tend to turn ECO off.
When traffic is crawling along, the stop/start is a nuisance so I turn it off when I get caught in that type of traffic. However when the flow is fairly free I leave it on as the wait at some intersections is lengthy.

I had trouble with the mechanism operating only sporadically when I picked up the car. After 2 trips to the dealer they replaced the second battery and it's been fine ever since. However on hot days with the air switched on, it may not stop in order to keep the compressor running. The hold function is also a great feature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts