Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 8 days into the ownership on my 2015 GLA 250 and I think that the Eco start/stop feature in my car is faulty.
For the first few days of taking ownership (picked her up with 12 miles), this feature worked flawlessly.
For the past 3 days or so, this system rarely kicks on.
At first I thought that the car required a complete warm up since it has been quite cold here in Boston, but nope.
I than proceeded to manually turn this feature off and back on, this did nothing.
I am quite unfamiliar with this system, so maybe this is normal ?

I am thinking of contacting the dealership that I purchased this car from to get some light on
this.
Has anyone experienced this with their start/stop feature?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had the same questions and concerns with mine and asked our sales rep if there are conditions/parameters where it does not activate. Yes there are, and they apparently are tied to vehicle cabin temperature, as the ventilation fan will keep going, but if you are on A/C that stops. If it warms up beyond the set temperature the Eco Start/Stop doesn't engage, or will re-start before you're ready to go to maintain a steady temperature. I would imagine it's the same for when the heater is in use.

I'm still working to understand the relationship of smoothly using the brake Hold feature with the Eco Start/Stop. It's actually pretty good, but there are some circumstances that result in a jolt with the engine off. I'm starting to sense those and minimize it by smoother pedal action. One thing that is frustrating is pulling into your garage or parking place, coming to a stop, and Eco Stop kicking in before you can get the transmission into Park. And, coping with busy parking lots during the holidays, I've learned that's the place to definitely turn off the Eco Start/Stop. Neat systems that work together, but you've got to get used to them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
your not trying to turn it on in S mode are you ?
On GLA 250 models, S (sport) mode does not turn Eco stop off.
In fact on GLA 250 models no modes turn it off except for the Individual mode (if you customize it to turn Eco stop off).

·
Registered
4 Posts
so, if I have it in sport mode it will not turn off at a stop? I prefer to keep it on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your not trying to turn it on in S mode are you ?
In fact on GLA 250 models no modes turn it off except for the Individual mode (if you customize it to turn Eco stop off).
This is correct. The start/stop feature should remain on regardless which driving mode it is set too.
Having said that, when starting he car, the mode activated is the Eco
Mode which is the mode that I drive about 90% of the time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
so, if I have it in sport mode it will not turn off at a stop? I prefer to keep it on.
If you have a GLA 250 in Sport mode the engine will turn off at a stop. At least that is how it works with 2016 models.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is correct. The start/stop feature should remain on regardless which driving mode it is set too.
Having said that, when starting he car, the mode activated is the Eco
Mode which is the mode that I drive about 90% of the time.
On 2016 GLA 250s the default mode is C (comfort) not Eco.
I find that Comfort mode works quite well for my wife and me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh...ok......In my 2015 45 if you put it in S mode it automatically switches off, the newer model is a better idea

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 2015 and I hate the feature, first thing I do when I get in the car is turn it off. I do believe it does get turned off when I switch to Sport mode, will check when I go out this evening. The 2016 is worse, it has the updated software that my wife's 2015 C300 has and it doesn't matter what mode you are in, the Eco has to be turned off manually. Yes you can customize the settings but when you turn the car off and then back on the default is On. Frigging government, give us a choice, it's our car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes…you have 2015 GLA45 and when switching to 'S' or 'M' mode the ECO function is turned off. I always drive in the 'S' or 'M' mode for many reasons and one of which is the ECO is killed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Switching to S or manual mode in a 2015 GLA 250 turns off Eco mode. Wouldn't have bought the car if it didn't (hate Eco mode...NEVER leave it on).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes…you have 2015 GLA45 and when switching to 'S' or 'M' mode the ECO function is turned off. I always drive in the 'S' or 'M' mode for many reasons and one of which is the ECO is killed.

Where i live ECO is not worth having but in heavy city traffic i think it might be a good innovation

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2015 and I hate the feature, first thing I do when I get in the car is turn it off. I do believe it does get turned off when I switch to Sport mode, will check when I go out this evening. The 2016 is worse, it has the updated software that my wife's 2015 C300 has and it doesn't matter what mode you are in, the Eco has to be turned off manually. Yes you can customize the settings but when you turn the car off and then back on the default is On. Frigging government, give us a choice, it's our car.
Ha! Yeah, I am still learning about this start/stop.
I ran a test with this feature while blasting the heat and it still kicked on (which I though was a bit weird).
The dealership mentioned to me that it only kicks on when heat/AC is only used at a medium level or lower.
I guess it is too save energy ?
Oh well. Around here (Boston), this feature has saved me quite a bit of gas thus far. Daily driving is mostly city driving for me.
Highway trips are a different story. ECO mode OFF, Manual mode ON.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Confirmed, when in Sport mode the Eco Stop Start is turned off automatically. Sport has it pros and cons, the pros is the car is far more responsive, exhaust sounds better but the cons is that I lose about 4 mpg even if I drive not too extremely. Even at 50-60mph the car is still in 6th gear, great for zipping around but keeps the revs up. Also when in Sport the engine braking is way better. Sport is way more fun though and since gas is pretty cheap right now it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Confirmed, when in Sport mode the Eco Stop Start is turned off automatically. Sport has it pros and cons, the pros is the car is far more responsive, exhaust sounds better but the cons is that I lose about 4 mpg even if I drive not too extremely. Even at 50-60mph the car is still in 6th gear, great for zipping around but keeps the revs up. Also when in Sport the engine braking is way better. Sport is way more fun though and since gas is pretty cheap right now it's not a big deal.
91 octane is hovering at around $2.60 per gallon around here and regular at around $1.90 average.
That is a pretty significant difference there.
Yes, cheaper than a few years ago at over $4 per gallon, but $2.60 is still a bit pricey for my liking.
I like driving in Sport, but always give-in to paddle shifting.
My gripe about paddle shifting is that the car will not hold it's torque range. It automatically shifts itself if feeling like too much strain in being placed on the motor.
While this is good and all, it really irritates me that I loose all control over my car.
Personally, I like staying at a high rev range when zipping about. I like the instant take off that a high rev provides.
Maybe there is a work around the shift points of our 250's ? One where we can override the system so that it does not kick in during high rev periods.
Maybe a possible Mod can take care of that ?
I will have to look into ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts