Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to turn off the ECO MODE??? I know you have to turn off each time you enter the auto and start, but can it be turned off,so I do not have to turn off each time I start up the car??? I do not like it, every time some one gets into my car, and we drive, and stop at Red lights, etc, it makes that rev up noise,shake, that people think something wrong with car. I do not like it either, I really can not tell if it has saved me any gas at all. I am not into heavy traffic often, I can see where this would drive me crazy in large cities, where stop and go is on all the time. Please anyone, let me know if I can shut this down and not use it , until I set it back to on in the computer system, not each time ,I get into the car and drive.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
As far as I know there is no option to do that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I didn't like the ECO mode the first time I drove a newer MB either, but now that I'm accustomed to it I really like it. It does save gas. When I get to a red light and it doesn't go into ECO now I get a little annoyed like I'm just sitting there wasting fuel!
But, I can understand that not everyone is that adaptable and that you just don't like it and never will. If that's the case, then you just have to remember, and get in the habit of hitting that switch when you start the car. It's like putting on a seatbelt. It's just an automatic thing you do now, but I'm sure people who started driving in the 1940's - 60's were all like "pffft! seat belts!?!" when they became standard. And that's the thing...ECO will become the standard on all cars soon.
If you're wondering why it has to default to on, it is because without it the car would have a lower MPG rating for the purposes of government certifications. They'd have to list it with the MPG of sport mode instead of ECO.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I didn't like the ECO mode the first time I drove a newer MB either, but now that I'm accustomed to it I really like it. It does save gas. When I get to a red light and it doesn't go into ECO now I get a little annoyed like I'm just sitting there wasting fuel!
Ditto to what SPG43 said. In fact, for whatever reason, mine stopped working around mid-March (was saving it for the first service for a shop look), but it just started working normally again three days ago. I missed it and the fuel hit was alarmingly noticeable. I never would have suspected that, it was in the 2 MPG range for local driving.

If you read all the screens in the digital operator manual on your console (they aren't in the paper manual), there are quite a few conditions where the ECO mode doesn't operate, but over the course of 45 or so days I am quite certain there were times when none of those applied, so I'm still going to have mine checked out next time the GLA goes to the shop for any reason.

Truth is, there are several annoying things on GLAs upon delivery that I have grown to love and am troubled if they don't work as expected at any given time. We're all victims as well as beneficiaries of the high-tech world.

·
Registered
503 Posts
mind stopped working too after a couple of days and never started.
not ussing ac or heat still dont kick in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i think i know the answer to this but all the eco button does is turn on the stop start ? or does it also actually improve fuel economy when on the move

·
Registered
72 Posts
According to the consumption meter the eco mode does seem to save gas in stop and go traffic. When driving in an area with a lot of traffic lights the displayed mpg seemed to go from round 16-18 up to 21-22. I've only been driving it a few days so my sample size is limited so I'll collect additional data over a full tank.

I think it's probably required for CAFE standards, I think the salesperson actually told me that. If they provided a way to disable it, then who knows, it could end up like another VW or Hyundai mpg fiasco.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No Eco mode here. Turn engine on and I on (Sport mode, Auto Stop/Start OFF). Life is too short and lugging an engine and starting it at each relight will shorten its life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe I read in another post that the ECO mode also has the car start in second gear whereas Sport starts in first gear, big difference.
BTW, my GLA 250 was just unloaded at the Baltimore port - getting close!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I believe there are two different issues here, each of which requires the push of a button. The button to the left controls the ECU,(Electronic (or Engine) Control Unit) and has, at least on my 2015 GLA250, three positions, E, S, and M. M (manual) is semi useless, so there are basically 2 modes you can be in, E, where you start in 2nd, or S, where you start in first, and the shifts are sportier. There have been several ECU aftermarket products discussed on this forum, which give a wider range of shift points. Personally, with FWD, I spin the front wheels so easily, it would be be silly to install an apparatus that would peel out more often. The second issue involves the button to the right, which controls the Eco stop and start. Once you start your car, you can disable the automatic engine shut down at a stoplight by pressing this button. When you turn off the ignition and then restart, the ECU button defaults to E, and the automatic engine shutdown defaults back to automatically shutting the engine off at a stop. These two systems are separate from each other. I agree with SPG43-now that I've driven the car for a few months, I kind of like the auto shutoff, and it's not a major problem pressing either or both buttons. What is more of an issue is, when I drive my wife's Lexus, I keep turning on the windshield wipers instead of putting the car in gear. When you drive your car for a while, you will automatically push either or both buttons when you start, easy peesy.

Reactions: Gitzer

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think i know the answer to this but all the eco button does is turn on the stop start ? or does it also actually improve fuel economy when on the move
Some of the dynamic settings change shift points, but I am not sure if this is the case in Eco mode. Sport mode definitely shifts at higher RPM. Not sure whether there is a difference between Eco and Comfort mode as far as the shift points go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts