Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New GLA 4matic owner:
I was always under the impression that the starting/stopping of a engine wasn't efficient; however, the ECO option apparently automatically turns the engine off and back on at stops.
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
New GLA 4matic owner:
I was always under the impression that the starting/stopping of a engine wasn't efficient; however, the ECO option apparently automatically turns the engine off and back on at stops.
Think it depends on your driving environment. In the Chicago traffic here it helps considerably. However that's not just for your MPGs. It stops pollutants from being spewed into the environment when your not moving.

·
Registered
180 Posts
New GLA 4matic owner:
From what I hear, the ECU knows which two cylinders are near TDC and those are the cylinders that are fired. No starter wear this way. Good articles I found. http://www.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1320460-1-1336960-1-0-0-0-0-0-11702-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Apparently the starter duty cycle is now 8x improved to accommodate the function.

My wife loves the vehicle so far; however, neither of us are a fan of this engine ECO function.
Currently the default is on at each cycle; I will look into how to switch the default to off unless someone that has had there longer has already crossed that bridge.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Apparently the starter duty cycle is now 8x improved to accommodate the function.

My wife loves the vehicle so far; however, neither of us are a fan of this engine ECO function.
Currently the default is on at each cycle; I will look into how to switch the default to off unless someone that has had there longer has already crossed that bridge.

Thanks.
Sorry, can't be done. It always on at restart and that can't be changed. You just have to switch it off each time. You do eventually get used to it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
New GLA 4matic owner:
It's called start/stop technology and it helps to reduce idling time which saves fuel and also stops some of the wear on your engine.

Benz says:

The ECO start/stop function developed by Mercedes Benz reduces fuel consumption and emissions by switching off the engine when the vehicle comes to a standstill (e.g. at traffic lights).

·
Registered
353 Posts
The problem with the ECO function is that when the engine stops, the air from the air-con stops being cold! It is quite noticeable when you first get into the car, after it has been baking in the sun, and you immediately run into a traffic jam!

·
Registered
243 Posts
The problem with the ECO function is that when the engine stops, the air from the air-con stops being cold! It is quite noticeable when you first get into the car, after it has been baking in the sun, and you immediately run into a traffic jam!
It makes sense when you think about it though. The AC is one of the things that uses the most energy in your car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It makes sense when you think about it though. The AC is one of the things that uses the most energy in your car.
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, in a hot and humid country in Singapore, the air-con is a life-saver! :) I would rather have the Eco button permanently off and only when I "want" to save fuel, then I turn it on, not the other way around. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, in a hot and humid country in Singapore, the air-con is a life-saver! :) I would rather have the Eco button permanently off and only when I "want" to save fuel, then I turn it on, not the other way around. ;)

This is why I started this thread; wanted to if there was a way to have the ECO function auto off verses the current auto off.

For example:
I own a Chevy SSR; the Traction Control default is always on; however, there is a sequence process using the parking brake, traction control button, brake pedal and accelerator pedal that turns the default of the traction control to "off" instead of "on".
I am fairly certain there are similar program sequences for most vehicles but finding/knowing them is the key.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry, can't be done. It always on at restart and that can't be changed. You just have to switch it off each time. You do eventually get used to it.

You can do it by Brabus. They have start-stop memory option, when You can set S-S function on or off as default. It cost 198eur here in Europe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't found a way to turn the option off via settings, etc. However, I would be surprised if there was not an option in MB STAR (or after-market tuner) to turn it off. Unfortunately, the vehicle is still pretty new and I haven't seen a lot of the MB STAR options posted online.

That said, I can tell you that folks that have ridden with me when the car shuts off has made for a good laugh or two as it catches most of them off-guard. Personally, I still haven't gotten used to it but am sure it will become the norm after some time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still waiting for the car delivery, but people on other forums say 'ECO' is for 'ecology', not 'economize' here. They claim with ECO mode on, gas mileage is worse than with ECO mode off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MB told me that the government types (EPA etc.) really like ECO, and you are probably going to be seeing more of it in the future on all makes and models. I don't mind it at a stop light where I might be stopped for a while, maybe a minute. But if I'm getting ready to pull out in front of traffic, and I'm waiting for my opportunity in a fast traffic situation, I want the car on. I also don't like it when I'm inching ahead in heavy traffic and the engine only stops for a second or two at a time, constant stopping and starting just doesn't seem good for the engine or starter to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah it's good at stop lights, though, it always seems like the engine shuts of right when the light turns green. What annoys me is when I come to a stop sign and the engine shuts off. I also don't like the engine shutting off in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My biggest gripe with ECO mode right now is the fact that whenever I pull into my garage or a parking space and stop - the engine stops almost immediately. And then when I shift into park, the engine turns back on again. It's a very jerky experience and I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
George Jetson

I remember watching the Jetson's and George was all worn out because he had to push a button at work that day. We seem to be saying (me included) "Isn't there anything I can do so I don't have to PUSH THAT BUTTON!!" Kind of funny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My biggest gripe with ECO mode right now is the fact that whenever I pull into my garage or a parking space and stop - the engine stops almost immediately. And then when I shift into park, the engine turns back on again. It's a very jerky experience and I'm not a fan.
You can avoid the engine restarting in cases where you're parking just by turning off the key without pushing the park button. The car will automatically go to park without restarting the engine first. It seemed a little odd to me at first but now I'm used to it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You can avoid the engine restarting in cases where you're parking just by turning off the key without pushing the park button. The car will automatically go to park without restarting the engine first. It seemed a little odd to me at first but now I'm used to it.
Good tip, that's something i'll have to keep in mind as i have noticed the shutting off can be quite annoying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts