Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I used my tow hitch for the second time (easy to fit once you know how). After using the trailer I left the hitch on and it seemed as though the throttle response was different - held gears a bit longer and didn't change up to 7th gear as early.

I might be imagining it but it seems like the way E mode should be (not as good on fuel economy though).

Might leave the tow hitch on for a while!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would doubt it, but probably related to the ECU "learning" a different driving dynamic (accelerator position and tranny shift points) while you had the trailer attached and then simply kept it after the trailer was removed. It will 'relearn' again after a while with the trailer removed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Testing

I might just leave the tow hitch on for a while and see how long it takes to relearn as I prefer the new shift points etc.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You can get aftermarket tow hitch for the GLA250 and none for the GLA45 AMG.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can get aftermarket tow hitch for the GLA250 and none for the GLA45 AMG.
what brands please? and what about the GLA250 with the AMG rear bumper...? i found out the hard way that the rear MB mudflaps don't fit the GLA45 or the GLA250 w/AMG rear bumper...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GLA240 4matic towhitch

what hitch did you install? i didn't think it was an option on my 2016 GLA250 4MATIC...?

I purchased a genuine MB towhitch with the car (2015 GLA250 4Matic with AMG pack) at an exorbitant cost but felt it was safer to go that way. Not sure if their is one for the 2016 model.
The installation is a 6 hour job. The dealer told me that as part of the instal they add an additional cooling fan but not sure what else they do (apart from fitting it to the wrong car but that's another story).

Tricky to insert the towhitch until you figure out the right combination.

Fuel economy improved over my usual this week but that may be down to more highway driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was that for the GLA 250 or 45? I'm trying to find info on the GLA45 as I want to tow a small trailer at 900 pounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was that for the GLA 250 or 45? I'm trying to find info on the GLA45 as I want to tow a small trailer at 900 pounds.

From my research there isn't a suitable tow hitch for the GLA45. The MB genuine product for the GLA250 is a Westphalia brand item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a genuine MB towhitch with the car (2015 GLA250 4Matic with AMG pack) at an exorbitant cost but felt it was safer to go that way. Not sure if their is one for the 2016 model.
The installation is a 6 hour job. The dealer told me that as part of the instal they add an additional cooling fan but not sure what else they do (apart from fitting it to the wrong car but that's another story).

Tricky to insert the towhitch until you figure out the right combination.

Fuel economy improved over my usual this week but that may be down to more highway driving.
i'm scared to ask. but how much were parts and labor for this...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm scared to ask. but how much were parts and labor for this...

it was circa $3k installed. I decided that was the safest way to get one fitted but worried that it was probably the first one installed in Perth. Needn't have worried though because they installed it on the wrong vehicle first so had to take it off and then install it on mine so they had plenty of practice by the time they got to my car.
Price was included in lease deal so it doesn't look so bad over 4 years!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts