Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I read somewhere that it's plug-n-play, meaning the electrical connector is behind the grill and it should be as simple as swapping the star and plugging it in. Did you get the genuine OEM MB Star or one of the knock-offs? MB is real proud of the OEM Illuminated Star! LOL!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I seem to recall from a post where someone installed an aftermarket star, that it was not plug and play-there was some fairly complex wiring. I would guess that the electrical connector is only there for 00A, Illuminated Star, so that you could easily replace it if you hit a cow or some other semi movable object. Might be different after 2015. While I am immensely pleased to own my own illuminated star, I find it very difficult to bask in its radiance while the car is moving. It was on the car already-I don't think I would have paid $550 for one, if I had a choice.

Reactions: Cdn_Dude

·
Registered
220 Posts
From what I've seen, it doesn't seem too complicated as long as you're comfortable running wires through your vehicle. I believe you just run it to your fuse box in a spot that powers with your lights. You can maybe even have it come on when your engine is on like your DRLs. Here's a video of a CLA, but I'm not sure if your fuse box is here or inside by the drivers side floor.

https://youtu.be/uvTklE6xYlQ

·
Registered
608 Posts
From what I've seen, it doesn't seem too complicated as long as you're comfortable running wires through your vehicle. I believe you just run it to your fuse box in a spot that powers with your lights. You can maybe even have it come on when your engine is on like your DRLs. Here's a video of a CLA, but I'm not sure if your fuse box is here or inside by the drivers side floor.

https://youtu.be/uvTklE6xYlQ
Fuse box on the 2015 GLA250 is same as in the video. His kit seems to have included a fuse holder/connector for a blank space in the the fuse box designated as 23. I assume that there is a diagram somewhere there, maybe in the fuse box cover, and it says 23 is where the star gets its power, so that the star comes on when the headlights come on. Also, it's possible that 23 is not the correct spot. While this is not rocket science, it isn't super easy. If 23 is not the right spot, you probably have to splice a headlight wire. Depending on which wire you splice, the computer might say when the star lights up, that there's too much current being drawn, and post a dash warning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check your local regulations to see if it is allowed. Where I live (Alberta Canada) it is illegal to have any coloured lights other than red, amber and incondesent on your vehicle. The blue light would equal a $155 ticket up here and it would have to be removed.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks all for reply ,Dude its okay here in Australia as we were using DRL's as standard fitment for newer cars (white) ,not any other colour as it is also illegal here and the "STAR" is not obviously illuminated in day time and I'm planning to put a switch to ON /OFF, and NO I'm not putting a blue colour light. In that video says he bought off Ebay but the wiring came with fittings already. I doubt I have that fitting on mine ( still waiting for its arrival) . So Anyone know any alternative/s or where to buy it please.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You are describing two different 'fittings.' If your car comes with the 00A Illuminated Star wiring, then you snap out the old star, plug in the new star, snap it in, and off you go. However, if the wiring isn't there, you will have to get power to the star. If the star has a standard plug, then you may be able to go to your local parts store and pick one up. I suspect Mercedes wouldn't make it that easy. If it isn't a standard plug, you may have to splice the power at the star. You must then run the wiring to the fuse holder, which is on the left side of the engine, driver's side in the US. I suppose it is possible that the fuse hlder is on the right side in Australia. You need to find the fuse position that is designated for powering the star, and get power, possibly by splicing, maybe by using an insert into the fuse position in the fuse holder. The gentleman in the Youtube video got his wires and plugs with the star; he did not have anything already installed in his car. He said it was fuse position #23 . I cannot assure you that is so. If you already have the star, but nothing else, and you're not good at automotive wiring, you might want to find a service location that does electrical work. If you don't have the star yet, shop for a star that comes with all the hook up supplies. It is also possible that someone on eBay is selling the star hook up kit. Even then, if you are not good at automobile wiring, get a shop to do it. Good luck.

Reactions: firstdown80

·
Registered
43 Posts
HI ,
I wouldn't say I'm good at wiring but I got a 4x4 truck that I wired all my lighting system solar panels, dual batteries systems, inverters etc. that is an easy wiring install ( star) but I forgot that we have a wrecking yard where i can get parts from it (second hand). I think I solve my problem ,I need to visit one soon to get what I want there's one close by at Parramatta( for Aussies looking for parts). Wiring is not a problem .The last resort I can do is to tap it to the DRL's wiring which I don't want to do but it will be the last resort. Getting a Sparky( car electrician) here will cost me a Merc to pay. hahaha Not for that job.
Thanks for your concern .
Cheers

·
Registered
608 Posts
It definitely isn't hi tech wiring, but having the dedicated wiring harness would probably really simplify the job. I wonder if the star for the GLA is the same as the one on other models?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI Pico ,dont mind sharing the install ? I'd like to know where the original wiring is, where you connect the star? Pictures please if possible...
Thanks
I didn't take any pictures when I doing the installation, because I was using my iphone to search online instruction.

Since GLA & CLA are pretty similar, so here is the link what I following:

DIY - Gen II Illuminated Star

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all,
At last I have installed my Star , I followed the guy from "youtube " and went okay. but I don't have the fuse holder , so what I did I use a male spade crimper temporarily until I get one. I also use no.23 fuse slot.
Lights up when ignition/ engine is ON.
Mates from US, where can I buy that fuse holder in Los Angeles? I'm heading that way very soon . Any car shops in Cerritos /Orange County can you suggest? And maybe the proper name for it or part number will be fine.
Pictures to follow as its still day time here in Sydney...
Thanks
Ceasar

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.