Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Cool! Thank you ?

Whether I DIY or not, I need to get the oil filter ordered from the dealership. I also had to order paint for my car because of a chip, so I'm going to have them mail both to me. Do they try to make you feel guilty for just ordering the oil filter, assuming they realize you're ordering it so you wont be coming there to get it serviced? The anxious side of me worries they'll treat me like I'm a bad car owner for doing such an awful thing!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cool! Thank you

Whether I DIY or not, I need to get the oil filter ordered from the dealership. I also had to order paint for my car because of a chip, so I'm going to have them mail both to me. Do they try to make you feel guilty for just ordering the oil filter, assuming they realize you're ordering it so you wont be coming there to get it serviced? The anxious side of me worries they'll treat me like I'm a bad car owner for doing such an awful thing!

No they won’t. They are more than happy to do it. Never encountered any issues with my dealer here in AZ. It took me about maybe 30mins or less to get the oil changed and filter replaced. If you look at the Oil Change posting, I have a link to PDF files that gives step by step instructions.

If you don’t have the tools, go to Harbor Freight website, signup and they send you coupons. Pretty good deals.

One more thing, make sure you have a container for the extraction. Often people forget, they start taking things apart and then realize they don’t have a container for the oil. Just take the used oil to any part shop like Autozone for disposal. I cannot stress enough about having paper towels. Also the oil is hot so be careful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great, I have a 20% off harbor freight coupon I plan on using for an extractor tomorrow ? Then pick up all the other odds and ends and I should be good. I'm kind of excited to do it myself, it should be a relatively easy process and I will become more familiar with the vehicle, same as when I hand wash and detail it myself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great, I have a 20% off harbor freight coupon I plan on using for an extractor tomorrow Then pick up all the other odds and ends and I should be good. I'm kind of excited to do it myself, it should be a relatively easy process and I will become more familiar with the vehicle, same as when I hand wash and detail it myself.

Awesome! Make sure you have paper towels and gloves. Maybe protective eye glasses. Sometimes it can get messy. Careful of hot oil.

Watch out for that torque wrench. It’s 18.44 ft lbs, this is equivalent to 25Nm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I will definitely get some blue paper towels (although I dont know how these differ from regular paper towels lol) and I have protective eye wear for when I weedeat/woodwork.

Is one container enough oil or do I need to pick up a one quart container along with the 5-quart one? Or should I consult the manual? I've also seen people measure the oil they extract and insert that much back in of fresh oil.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I will definitely get some blue paper towels (although I dont know how these differ from regular paper towels lol) and I have protective eye wear for when I weedeat/woodwork.

Is one container enough oil or do I need to pick up a one quart container along with the 5-quart one? Or should I consult the manual? I've also seen people measure the oil they extract and insert that much back in of fresh oil.

I would get something that can contain at least 7qt. Used milk containers (can’t remember the size) works, you may need 2.

The owners manual says 5.9qt (GLA250), but it’s always safer to put just 5qt first (make sure you pour it in slowly). Once you have all the parts back together including the dip stick, start your engine and let it run for maybe 5 or less mins, then check the dip stick again, add if need to. There is a video on that oil change thread, this mechanic drained the oil instead, but everything else he does is still required even for oil extraction.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Take your time. Once you remove the oil filter cover, the oil filter is firmly attached to the cover, take a picture so you know how it looks like when you have install the new filter in reverse order. Often people will invert the filter, the white part and force it into the top of the oil filter cover. You don’t want that to happen.

Read the instructions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
@SummerR, the first time removing the oil filter cover may be difficult. My suggestion is to use a slightly longer ratchet or a breaker bar. It gives you a little more leverage.

Do not use the torque wrench to loosen the oil filter cover, you can damage the torque wrench.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Okay, I will remember all of those things! Or more than likely let my boyfriend go get them at Harbor Freight when I pick up the fluid extractor. Would the oil filter cover be too hard for me to remove or would my boyfriend need to do it? I'm afraid I'll end up cracking it or something and that definitely would not be good!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't forget to get an oil filter wrench for the GLA.

Make sure to put lots of paper towels or rags around the base of the oil filter housing. When you remove the oil filter housing/oil filter, there will be some old oil dripping out. So the paper towels/rags will catch it.

Amazon has it. I haven't had to change the oil on new to me GLA250 4Matic yet as I just got it a few weeks ago CPO from an MB DEALERSHIP. Maybe someone can chim in on which oil filter wrench to use?

Great, I have a 20% off harbor freight coupon I plan on using for an extractor tomorrow ? Then pick up all the other odds and ends and I should be good. I'm kind of excited to do it myself, it should be a relatively easy process and I will become more familiar with the vehicle, same as when I hand wash and detail it myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Okay, so I need a torque wrench, an oil filter wrench, the extractor, paper towels, gloves, a container to hold the oil, oil, and the oil filter. Is that it?

The torque wrench my boyfriend ordered a little while ago was the "TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)" on Amazon. He hasn't read this thread so I'm hoping it will do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good tip, @GLARUS I hadn't thought about the oil drip from around the oil filter and holder. I want this to be as mess free and enjoyable as possible!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Okay, so I need a torque wrench, an oil filter wrench, the extractor, paper towels, gloves, a container to hold the oil, oil, and the oil filter. Is that it?

The torque wrench my boyfriend ordered a little while ago was the "TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)" on Amazon. He hasn't read this thread so I'm hoping it will do?

The Tekton will definitely work. You don’t need a oil filter wrench. Just get the 27mm socket, a 10in. extension 1/2in drive as well, and a ratchet long enough for some leverage.

Torque for the cover is 25Nm.

Sharing more info on oil change.
Oil Change & Filter Replacement

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Oh, okay, awesome! And thanks for the video! I will be sure to watch it before I change the oil.

I went to purchase the extractor today and got some blue paper towels, too ?

Is it sad I'm excited to change my oil? I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow on my lunch break and have them ship me an oil filter and paint I ordered. Do y'all normally purchase the oil filter from the dealership every time? I assume this will be the best option since I know it it legit MB part, but I've seen people purchase them off Amazon or other websites for cheaper price. Bit at only $20, I dont know if it is worth risking it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just an update - we changed the oil this evening and it literally could not have been much easier. Extracting the oil is about as simple (and fun) as it gets. The only complaint I have, which isnt really a complaint, is the oil filter is kind of in an odd spot. But everything else was super simple. My boyfriend even checked all the fluid levels in my car for "free" ?

I seriously could not imagine paying $180 to have something that simple and easy done. That's crazy to me. Thanks everyone for helping me out - your advice was super helpful.

Now all I'm waiting on is my paint to come in so I can touch up a few spots then off to get it clay barred and waxed ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
In the Service area this morning and a customer was complaining about the cost.

They said its $Australian 240 ($US 178, Euro 152) an hour and it's because Mercedes need to protect their brand and they ensure everything is perfect.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I guess everything is relative. Meaning some folks don't think the relatively high price to pay for an oil change at MB dealerships is worth it while some do not. I personally think if the MB dealership charges that kind of money, then they should have "top notch techs" working on my MB. But sadly this is not true. Often the "lowest paid monkey wrench" is the person changing my oil at the MB dealership or any dealership!!! I often find that my oil is either overfilled or the tech forgot to put back some panels, or something else.....

I try to avoid the dealership if at all possible (other than recalls and if requires the MB software computer system).

In the Service area this morning and a customer was complaining about the cost.

They said its $Australian 240 ($US 178, Euro 152) an hour and it's because Mercedes need to protect their brand and they ensure everything is perfect.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts