Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! This is my first post ever. A little background on me and my car. I have a 2016 Mercedes GLA 250 4Matic in south seas blue (I believe is the proper color name). I purchased it from the dealership who had the car its entire life and used it as a loaner for customers having work done on their vehicles. It is due for its first oil change since I've had it at about 22,000 miles. I commute 120 miles for work every day (round trip). I called the dealership today to schedule an appointment. Prices are outrageous . 180 for oil changed and new oil filter. 350 for the "full service" which includes checking tires, cheap brakes, top off fluids and check belts. What is so special about MB oil changes that cost this much? Selling the MB name? My boyfriend drives a Ford and a normal oil change for him at the dealership is $40 which INCLUDES the "special" service that costs 350. Now, I understand that MB oil change will cost more because it is full synthetic. But unless they are doing something magical, I dont understand this price.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Hello Summer and welcome to the GLA forum. There are many discussions here on the value of the MB formal oil change A and B service schedule, which you can find from our Search tool on the upper right on most browsers. They usually come down to your comfort level on warranty that you might have and wanting to ensure a history of full MB service requirements. I'm more inclined to stick with the MB service, at least as long as still under warranty, as any software updates are done, systems needing tweaks or replacement get handled, and so forth.

Your post is unclear if the vehicle had 22,000 miles when you purchased it or if you've added 22,000 miles at 120 per day since purchase. How much warranty do you have? The general interval between oil service is 10,000 miles or one year. The A service is usually mild in cost compared to the more intensive B service.

Since we have an international community of members, you might wish to add your location, GLA model and year to your Member Profile so it will show under your user ID each time you post. You can do so from the User CP link on the upper right of most browsers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. The vehicle currently has 22,000 miles on it. I live in the Eastern US. I am on my phone at the moment and am learning the forum, which isnt too mobile friendly, so I apologize for bringing up a topic that may already be discussed and I haven't learn yet how to update all of my info!

I am under warranty until sometime in 2021. At 10,000 miles per oil change, I will need this service approximately every 4 months or so given work plus leisure driving (which hopefully wont last too much longer!)

What does the Service B consist of, when do you usually need it, and what does it run?

Would changing my own oil (by a professional) void my warranty if I purchase the oil filter from the dealership, use the suggested Mobile 1 full synthetic, and keep receipts from the company who would be changing my oil?

I forgot to mention that the closest MB dealership is two hours from me and with my work schedule I'm only available on Saturdays to drive to the dealership. The lady I spoke with said the "full service" would take about half a day.

Further, can anyone still explain what makes the MB oil change worth $120 more (at least) than a standard oil change?

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
You're correct that it's hard to update User CP from a smartphone. You might want to wait until you can get to a regular browser. The B service is not quite twice the cost. I don't recall the cost for my location because I purchased a maintenance package. The price will vary by location. You can find what each service includes in your operator's manual that hopefully came with your GLA.

Here's one of several threads that discusses the specifics of oil grade choice:

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/gla-maintainenance-service/18785-synthetic-oil-but-what-brand.html

Here's another discussing A and B services:

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/mercedes-benz-gla-general-discussion/9689-service-b-cost-vs-prepaid-maintenance.html

BTW, that's a great color!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read both threads provided and the yearly breakdown seems interesting. Maybe it is because this is my first "real" car, but prices seem awfully steep. I understand it is a Mercedes and most customer fit a certain demographic, but jeez.

For background, I'm 24 years old and this is the first car I have purchased on my own. My car before this was a Ford Focus that I have driven since high school. Maintenance on that was crazy low. Oil change = $25. I dont expect these prices with this vehicle, I expect higher prices for sure. But I am still struggling to find the defining factor about MB maintenance that is so superior to any other vehicle (luxury vehicles excluded). Or is that as good of a reason as I am going to get - it is a MB, that's why everything is so expensive!

And thank you, I really like the color too. I thought it is very unique at the only MB I see in my area are black, white, or a very neutral color. So mine really stands out 🙂

·
Registered
189 Posts
To the OP: You can inquire about any reputable MB Indy mechanic in your area and find out what an oil change costs.

Inquire if the steering wheel spring ground recall was taken care of in your car. if not, take it to the dealer to have it done - that is a free service and the only recall for MY'16.

·
Registered
527 Posts
For warranty you do not have have the dealer to do service. You must show receipts that service was done per the service schedule. The following is from the MB Warranty booklet.

It is the owner’s responsibility to maintain the vehicle according to the Maintenance Schedule provided.
All maintenance services must be accomplished to keep your warranty coverage valid. When requesting service or repair work under warranty, the owner must present to the authorized Mercedes Benz Center evidence that the periodic servicing requirements have been accomplished. Receipts covering completion of required servicing should be retained in the event a question arises concerning maintenance.

These receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner of the vehicle. For your convenience, the Maintenance Booklet has been designed to incorporate the signature of your authorized Mercedes-Benz
Center upon completion of the required maintenance services.

This signature is evidence of completion of the maintenance services and should be kept together with other receipts, repair orders and invoices.

If the owner has a warranty claim and can show through receipted invoices that the vehicle has received the required servicing, the authorized Mercedes-Benz Center will perform the warranty work without charging for parts and labor. It is the responsibility of the owner to prove and the authorized Mercedes-Benz Center to judge whether the required maintenance service has been performed.

The question of B service. Service A is done plus change of brake fluid and cabin filter. There are other items listed to be done based on miles and age of GLA that should be done when doing service A or B as added items. See service manual. Pages 13 to 19.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/MY15_C_CLA_CLS_E_GL_GLA_GLK_M_S_SL_SLK.pdf

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hello @SummerR, welcome to the forum. If it’s A service, really any garage can do this oil change and keep the receipts and note the mileage. If you look at the Maintenance Manual for Service A, there are a few things they check that are important, brakes (fluid, disc,pad), belt, rear axle fluid.

For me, except for oil change, I use a workshop that work on euro cars, perhaps you could search for one in your area, it’s likely to be a little less than the Dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate reading the comments of others. I am glad having maintenance done outside the warranty does not automatically void it. I absolutely would take my vehicle to the dealer for actual service of a problem with my vehicle. But something as simple as an oil change and checking other elements of your vehicle (that I do myself anyway), I just simply cannot see any reason to pay a premium for such a basic, simple process.

Question - in getting an invoice from the mechanic for maintenance, does it need to just show the oil and oil filter change or does it have to show literally every little thing that Service A encompasses in order for it to be considered "accomplished"? Also, I've read quite a few threads on here and watched YouTube videos of owners changing the oil themselves. In this instance, is proper documentation or accomplished maintenance considered receipt of oil/oil filter/etc.? Does one need to make a list of all the Service A tasks and check them off and date it as proof? What is appropriate documentation in this situation?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate reading the comments of others. I am glad having maintenance done outside the warranty does not automatically void it. I absolutely would take my vehicle to the dealer for actual service of a problem with my vehicle. But something as simple as an oil change and checking other elements of your vehicle (that I do myself anyway), I just simply cannot see any reason to pay a premium for such a basic, simple process.

Question - in getting an invoice from the mechanic for maintenance, does it need to just show the oil and oil filter change or does it have to show literally every little thing that Service A encompasses in order for it to be considered "accomplished"? Also, I've read quite a few threads on here and watched YouTube videos of owners changing the oil themselves. In this instance, is proper documentation or accomplished maintenance considered receipt of oil/oil filter/etc.? Does one need to make a list of all the Service A tasks and check them off and date it as proof? What is appropriate documentation in this situation?

I am not sure what is stated in the Mercedes warranty, but I bought a non Mercedes extended warranty. This is what it says:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Many years ago I used to think that I MUST do all routine maintenance at the dealership!! Until I wised up. Now I do MOST of the routine maintenance myself. If a computer software is required, then I go to the dealership. Recalls and TSB's I go to the dealership.

I take detailed pictures with receipts, old and new oil/air filters. I take pictures of the bottles of oil that I'm going to put into the car. AND picture of the the odometer along with the carboard box (flattened out with the part# showing) in one picture by holding it up to the dashboard odometer.

Then I send all pictures (WITH YOUR PHONE'S GPS/GEO LOCATION TURNED ON) to myself via email. Therefore all are GPS and time/date stamped.

If you go to an independent shop, make sure they are familiar with European cars. For example, if you go to like "Walmart", they are more familiar with DOMESTIC/Japanese/Asian imports cars where the oil pan is made of steel vs aluminum found in MB/European imports. If they are not familiar, they will tend to over tighten the oil drain bolt and damage it. Also the MB's oil filter sits on top of the engine vs others at the bottom of the engine. Also make sure they use a FLEECE oil filter otherwise the paper oil filter will NOT last the entire 10K miles interval.

Lastly one can buy the Mobile ONE EXTENDED PROTECTION 0W-40 European formula in 5 quarts jug FIR around $27. You will need just under 6 quarts (if my memory is correct) for the GLA250. OEM oil filter should be no more than $15 (really more like $10). Plus a drain bolt brush washer for $1.50 (really it's like $0.50 at the most if bought in dozens at a time at Amazon).
So materials wise will cost around $45. Takes about half an hour to an hour to do it. (If you are a PRO, maybe 15 minutes). Plus the time taking the used oil back to Walmart or AutoZone or PepBoys or similar stores to disposal. Then there is the one time investment in the oil filter wrench (around $25), an oil catch pan (around $10), basic socket wrench set (around $29). I just go to Harbor Freight to buy these (I know some people knock down on HF, but I'm not a professional mechanic and these will do just fine).

So the MB charges about >3X of what you can do at home . For me, I can do it faster than driving to the MB DEALERSHIP and drop it off and go back, and etc

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, perhaps we should not complain about the GLA/MB oil change charge.... BTW I have mine done at a very respected local European Specialty Service shop - closest MB dealer is 1 hour away.

I was considering upgrading to a Bugatti Veyron (joking) until I read this today>

Here's why a Bugatti Veyron oil change costs $21,000:

Approximately 99.99 percent of the human population will be aghast at the notion that a car's service could cost upward of $20,000, but if you need to change the oil on your Bugatti, your options are limited. Here's why it costs that much.

Royalty Exotic Cars, a company that specializes in renting out high-end supercars, made a pretty thorough video explaining why an oil change on a Bugatti Veyron costs as much as it does. While some of it certainly involves badge cachet, a lot of it comes down to how **** complex the car is -- as it should be, given its seven-figure price tag.
The Veyron uses a dry-sump oiling system with 16 different drain plugs, accessible after removing parts of the underbody. Refilling, along with checking air filters and all that good stuff, requires removing the car's rear fender liners and rear deck. Guess how many bolts are holding those pieces on? Too many, that's how many.

If you have Bugatti money, dropping 21 large on a fluid change might seem appropriate, but it's still pretty inflated. $21,000 is about 1.4 percent of the base Veyron's $1.5 million price tag. Applying that same percentage to a $20,000 new car would result in a fluid change cost of $280, which is sort of high. Then again, technicians don't need to disassemble half of your Hyundai Elantra to get all the oil out. Either way, it's not like you're going to do it all yourself.

https://youtu.be/sKobwz7wJso

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/bugatti-veyron-oil-change/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, @firstdown80 even though this is non mercedes warranty, their tips are very helpful.
@GLARUS the extended protection oil, would this be okay under warranty? I assumed Mobile 1 full synthetic for European vehicles is the only oil you should use? Also, I've heard MB changes the oil via extraction. This is much simpler than actually draining the oil since you dont have to get under your vehicle or get dirty! From what I understand, if the oil is warm (not hot) during extraction, contaminants are freely floating in the oil, therefore it will not leave any chunks of gunk behind.
@DEANOflorida I could buy a car for the price of that oil change!

Theres a mechanic shop in the town I work that specializes in MB services from my understanding. I think I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. I may take my GLA there if they sound competent. Most online reviews are positive with a few "take you for a ride" comments sprinkled in. Overall, most people like them but the few negative always worry me.

I apologize for any poor grammar and not properly quoting y'all, but I'm on my phone at work! 🙂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, @firstdown80 even though this is non mercedes warranty, their tips are very helpful.
@GLARUS the extended protection oil, would this be okay under warranty? I assumed Mobile 1 full synthetic for European vehicles is the only oil you should use? Also, I've heard MB changes the oil via extraction.
I believe all MB dealers use extraction to change oil...and if you buy yourself an oil extractor and an MB filter wrench it really couldn't be easier. There is no demonstrated benefit to "pulling-the-plug".
svc "A" is one hour so their rate is probably $120 in labor and $60-ish on parts. It used to be, and don't quote me on this, that if you showed your receipts to the service dept that MB would update your vehicle records to show the oil change....I simply write down my changes in the service booklet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Correction:

I was confused with the Mobil ONE EP that I use for my other vehicles which are "Lexus" (uses 0W-20 and 5W-30 in RCF instead). There is an EP formula for these.

I only use Mobile One 0W-40 only comes in Mobile ONE FS European Formula (Full Synthetic), and I don't think there is an "EP" (Extended Performance) version.

According to Mobil oil website this full fills MB's requirements (MB used to fill ALL its engines with Mobil ONE Synthetic oils. Even with the Mobil ONE sticker logo in the engine bay area. No longer a Mobil ONE sticker. I guess Mobil stopped paying MB for it???

I have attached a PDF document of the Mobil ONE 0W-40 meeting MB's requirements here.

Several years ago I had an MB SLK280 and used to take it to the MB DEALER for everything. But then I found out they were OVERFILLING my crankcase with WAY too much oil. Too much oil causes MORE potential damage vs just too little oil. Then I found out it is ABSOLUTELY true that at MOST "high end brands/European/Japanese/Domestic" dealers, the dude changing the oil is THE LEAST EXPERIENCED AND LOWEST PAID PERSON IN THE WHOLE SHOP!!! The dude will have to work slowly up the food chain.......
Most independent shops specialized in Euro brands are ex-techs who had worked in dealerships. They are usually fed up with how badly things are REALLY done at the dealerships and decided to open a shop on their own.

Anyway, yes it is true the official method of doing an oil change is by the extraction/suction method as per official MB shop mannual FOR NON AMG MODELS. A year after I got my SLK280, I got a SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE and did the oil change by draining the TWO bolts at the oil pan AND the sump pump (non AMG models does not have this and therefore can use the extraction/suction method). I just like to drain from the bottom oil pan bolt bc I'll do a visual inspection whil under the car to make sure all ok down there.

Also in most European brand cars and the upper luxury Japanese brands, there tend to be a lot more plastic covers that needed to come off (both in the engine bay area AND under the car). This will require more time and work. AND IF THESE COVERS ARE NOT PUT BACK AND SECURED PROPERLY, THEN THESE WILL FALL AND FLAP AROUND UNTIL THEY FALL OFF COMPLETELY.

@GLARUS the extended protection oil, would this be okay under warranty? I assumed Mobile 1 full synthetic for European vehicles is the only oil you should use? Also, I've heard MB changes the oil via extraction. This is much simpler than actually draining the oil since you dont have to get under your vehicle or get dirty! From what I understand, if the oil is warm (not hot) during extraction, contaminants are freely floating in the oil, therefore it will not leave any chunks of gunk behind.
@DEANOflorida I could buy a car for the price of that oil change!

Theres a mechanic shop in the town I work that specializes in MB services from my understanding. I think I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. I may take my GLA there if they sound competent. Most online reviews are positive with a few "take you for a ride" comments sprinkled in. Overall, most people like them but the few negative always worry me.

I apologize for any poor grammar and not properly quoting y'all, but I'm on my phone at work! 🙂

·
Registered
527 Posts
In changing or adding oil it not only use Mobil 1 but that the specs on the label is 229.51 or 229.5.

You can recognize service products approved by Mercedes-Benz by the following inscription on the containers:
RMB-Freigabe (e.g. MB-Freigabe 229.51)
RMB-Approval (e.g. MB-Approval 229.51)

Other designations or recommendations indicate a level of quality or a specification in accordance with an MB Sheet Number (e.g.MB 229.5). They have not necessarily been approved by Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great information, everyone! Thanks for the picture of the back of the oil! Whether I DIY the oil change or have it done, I will probably purchase the oil myself anyway, so that's good to know!

I'm considering doing the oil change myself, especially since it seems pretty easy with an extractor. I will read the oil change thread about it, but is there any tip or comment off the top of your head that you think is most important?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts