Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched some videos, want to do this right.. and a few have shown this kit for cleaning out the spark plug chamber. In this particular video, there was sand ..what in the world was this person doing with their nice AMG 45? LOL!!!

This really necessary, or just another un-needed cost?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
As with most jobs there are many ways to do it. But you definitely want a good vacuum cleaner with adaptors to get down to a small enough hose to clean out any dirt before you remove the plugs. The last thing you need is to have dirt fall into your cylinders or prevent the plugs from sealing when they are tightened.

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
I agree that you don't want any foreign object debris (FOD) falling into your spark plug sockets and thereby potentially combustion chambers. But I can't say that in my many years of self-service that I've ever had to go to such measures, and trust me I'm about the most anal about such things you can imagine. So, No, I don't believe you need all that kit.
However important to procure high quality 'plugs, to Benz' spec's. Use anti-seize on the threads (unless they already come precoated, as some do these days). Be sure to hand tighten initially so as not to cross-thread; then torque to spec (although many of us just have a feel for same). And 'trust but verify' the Earth electrode gap with a feeler gauge.
Lastly, do one 'plug at a time so you don't mix up the cable order. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Regarding anti seize (a matter that has changed over the years) you might want to read the following ...

There are many discussions on the internet discussing this topic.

You definitely do not want to over torque plugs in an aluminum head.

Also note that the plating on modern spark plugs is sacrificial. These are one time use plugs. When you remove them they get thrown away regardless off how they look.

Once you remove an old plug and hear and feel the creaking you will swear you are destroying the head and the desire to use anti seize is strong. But beware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts