Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up everyone? My 45 would creak & squeak going over uneven bumps, inclines up driveways at an angle, across railroad tracks etc etc. It’s like you can hear the car twisting and flexing, almost like a creaky bed. I knew there had to be a fix, and after searching around I found this is an issue that has plagued BMW’s. BMW actually put out a bulletin against it, and there’s a fix they do if you take it to the dealer. The fix is using Ultra-High Molecular Weight (UHMW) tape on the door seal. Funny thing is BMW rebrands 3M tape that goes for about $20 and sells it for something like $250, ha, stealership strikes again.

Below is the DIY version…

Materials:
1. Ultra-High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Tape, 1/2” wide & 7mm thickness
2. Painter’s Tape
3. 91% ISO alcohol
4. Microfibers
5. Scissors

Time: Budget a solid hour or two, you want to be able to take your time.

Steps:

1. Clean the top of the door and body with ISO alcohol and wipe dry with a clean microfiber, make sure there isn’t any wax residue around, as this is a crease where it likes to hide.

2. Close the door, and use painters tape to make a straight edge where the felt material on the door itself seals against the body. Take your time here and use a lot of tears of tape around the curve versus trying to bend one single piece the whole way.
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design Automotive tire

2. Open up the door and start the UHMW tape at the B pillar. Pull a couple inches of backing off at a time, and line up the edge of the UHMW with the edge of the painters tape. It can be pulled up and pressed back down a couple times without hurting the paint or losing its adhesive, so don’t stress too much.
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

3. When you get to the end, use scissors to cut an angle that fits over the very last bit, it’s more like a triangle than a flat end.
Hood Sky Motor vehicle Air travel Asphalt

4. Use a combination of thumb pressure and a dry microfiber to press the tape down securely, and to remove any bubbles.
Hood Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

5. Pull off the painters tape, and repeat for the other side. If done correctly, you should just barely see the edge of the UHMW tape when you close the door.
Water Sky Automotive lighting Hood Liquid

6. Enjoy no more creaks!! I did the front doors only, and the creaking went away.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts