Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing that worries me about the GLA is how easily the direct select lever moves. There doesn't appear to be any built in safety feature that would prevent the car shifting from Drive to Reverse if the direct select lever on the steering column is hit by mistake while driving. There's a slight point of resistance, but the lever seems as if it would continue right on to reverse.

I'm not used to such a touch sensitive gear shift. Is this a huge accident waiting to happen? Surely the folks at Mercedes wouldn't have overlooked this possibility.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You need to place your foot on the brake to change it or it just drops to neutral from my experience or klutziness. Telsa Model S uses the same stalk for its lever and that's the safest car in the freaking world in my opinion. So don't worry too much about it. Took me awhile to adjust myself to this. Enjoy your car. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hes right. I did the same due to thinking I was in my wife's Nissan truck. The right stalk in the Nissan is the windshield wiper stalk. It was a rainy day and whoops. It went to neutral. It was moving slow though it scared me a bit. I thought the transmission broke. Hahaha.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You "may" indeed need your foot on the brake, BUT - if you're coasting at say 5 miles per hour into a space, and hover over the brake pedal and switch gears, it will ABRUPTLY and violently do so. Ask me how I know! Hitting it while in motion - no issue, my last car had the wiper lever there - so I tried to clear windows with reverse. But nothing happened. However, parking into my garage, was interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not good at all - very scary! I want to check with the dealership to make sure it won't go into reverse at higher speeds. The manual is worded very carefully in the section about the gear lever - saying to make sure YOU do not put it in reverse. Not that the car is set up to prevent it by requiring a foot on the brake. And it gives description about rocking back and forth between drive and reverse to get out of some snow, etc. Seems like there are many cars that had the wiper lever in the same spot the direct select lever is located. That's how I noticed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The one thing that worries me about the GLA is how easily the direct select lever moves. There doesn't appear to be any built in safety feature that would prevent the car shifting from Drive to Reverse if the direct select lever on the steering column is hit by mistake while driving. There's a slight point of resistance, but the lever seems as if it would continue right on to reverse.

I'm not used to such a touch sensitive gear shift. Is this a huge accident waiting to happen? Surely the folks at Mercedes wouldn't have overlooked this possibility.
From the comments it appears that there is some protection from unintentionally going into reverse, but I agree with you the gear selector stalk should have a much more positive detent and restraint.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
The fun thing is to open the driver's door as the car is moving and it will go into PARK and a sudden stop. Did this as coming into a garage to check something on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
649 Posts
The gear selector stalk is the only thing I truly dislike about the GLA. I appreciate that Benz eng'g saved some console space for cupholders and what not, but I have to stop and think where/how on the stalk every time I borrow the vehicle from my wife for a Lowe's run or we take it somewhere together.

Otherwise it continues to be a stylish, practical, reliable CUV and has well served our needs.

From the comments it appears that there is some protection from unintentionally going into reverse, but I agree with you the gear selector stalk should have a much more positive detent and restraint.

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
One of the reasons we bought the 45 rather than even considering the 250 was the gear selector!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts