Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looks good, especially the grill. Love how the chrome star looks to hover with that effect.

The rears, I would re-do again, the imperfections with the chrome peeking out in the bottoms too obvious.

Otherwise, great work!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can see a tiny bit of chrome on the bottom of the rear bar thing that goes across. I also think you should find a way to make the chrome bit on the rear bumper black as well. The grille looks awesome.

It also might look best if the rear bar thing was just chrome instead. That would tie in better with the bumper chrome and also be more in line with the combination of black and chrome that the front of the car has.

Just my two cents. Good job.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looks great with the wheels dipped in that finish which complements the vehicle rather than take away from it which at times can be done.

Are you planning to make any other changes to your GLA in the near future?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with Sweet tooth, I think I would go with the strip being chrome and the bumper protector black which would jive better with the bits on the side of the car. Nice work, really pops on the red.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Do keep in mind that the chrome strip on the tailgate is of different shade from the chrome pieces on the front and read bumpers. The piece on the tailgate is real shiny while the pieces on the bumpers are more like matte chrome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I came in here expecting to not like, but actually like. Good job!

From your subject I thought you had dipped those items to be Jupiter Red!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks for all the feedback!

i agree with all of you. will prob take the dip off the chrome in the back. i orginally had the trunk chrome piece dipped, however, i had a feeling it was going to get scuffed and scratched with loading things, so i took it off.

i may try the mirrors next time i have the dip out.

next thing on my list is the VR tune box for 52hp gains!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can't wait to hear about the VR tune. Bet that will be tons of fun. Also looking forward to seeing how you alter the plastidip. Anything else that you have thought about changing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
was looking into the AMG grille but it was $600 not installed so i just proceeded to dip the grip which looks good... not the amg grill but hey w.e.

the car is still so new, not too many after market parts the add.

·
Registered
694 Posts
was looking into the AMG grille but it was $600 not installed so i just proceeded to dip the grip which looks good... not the amg grill but hey w.e.

the car is still so new, not too many after market parts the add.
Did you by any chance find out how much it would be installed? I can't imagine it taking them any more than an hour or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you used a special paint for the dip? I am looking to do the same on the front grill and back bumper.
keep us posted about the VR tune box ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have you used a special paint for the dip? I am looking to do the same on the front grill and back bumper.
keep us posted about the VR tune box ;)
I think one of the special parts to it is the clear coat you use for protecting the finish since I think that's one of the dips you can get as a finishing step.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Grill Attempt

Here is the test I just did with Dipping my Grill as well, like the look, but the results did not attach well enough, with some peeling that will only get worse so it will have to go. I think I had too much polish on the paint prior to dipping, and didn't strip it off first.
Also do not like the rubbery, sticky resulting feel, wanting something smoother and am looking into a Wrap option.
Anyone try to go with a Vinyl wrap on pieces like this?
I prefer the Chrome bars to show versus being all black, just balanced the tail a bit better with the horizontal chrome strips, IMO.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts