Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like black wheels, so I like the 20 inch better but are they a lot stiffer ride than the 19s ? Which did you choose and why?

18 inch wheels were standard on my CLA 45 AMG but I went with the black 19's. I loved the look but we're stiff for a daily driver

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Pam chose 20s because she preferred the way they look. I can't vouch for the ride quality until we pick the car up later this month. I'm hoping that they aren't prone to flat spotting with pothole hits. I have that problem with the 19s on my 997.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I like black wheels, so I like the 20 inch better but are they a lot stiffer ride than the 19s ? Which did you choose and why?

I have 19 inch run flats, but didn't choose them. I bought an early 2015 and the first ones delivered to my dealer that had the other options I wanted also had the sport package. I like the look of my 19 inch AMG wheels, but honestly would prefer 18 inch standard tires for ride comfort and road noise. Maybe I'm showing my age by valuing comfort over looks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 20's on my GLA45, and the ride is pretty hard, even on comfort mode. I feel every single bump, wave, and hole in the road. I haven't tried anything else, so I can't compare. Prior to the GLA, I was driving a 15 year old truck with worn shocks, so I was accustomed to a rough ride, and when I went for a test drive, I was okay with the stiff suspension. I knew I was getting it for sportiness rather than luxury.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Per the 20 June 2016 USA DOG, all wheel options for the 250 are silver spoke with black barrel. For the 45 there is a black 20 inch ten spoke option with silver rim stripe. This is for the 2017 model. I believe previous years are the same, but I'm not positive. There's always the after market option, especially if you are stocking winter and summer treads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We got Glammy, new, at the end of March. We ordered her with the gray five-spoke 19” AMG wheels. On delivery, we immediately took her to a tire dealer and had the run flats replaced with Michelin Premier LTXs, so we only have about 8 miles experience with run flats. The LTXs seem to be quiet and have been trouble free for over 7300 miles, so far. We have a compressor, jack and a tire repair kit in case of a puncture. We really like the look of the AMG wheels and Michelin tires.

I would rather have had 18” wheels and tires, not because of the ride issue, although that would have been a happy side benefit to them, but because the wider sidewall offers more protection for the outside diameter and face of the wheel. (We did not like the appearance of the factory 18” GLA wheels.) The smaller the aspect ratio (35-45 percent), the less protection the tire sidewall gives the wheel. Shortly after we got Glammy, I turned too sharp and dinged the right rear wheel. (It cleaned up OK.) Our former SUV, a 2003 Saturn VUE had 16” wheels with, IIRC, a 60 percent aspect ratio which was about 6” wide. The VUE tire sidewalls also stuck out almost an inch beyond the face of the wheel. This configuration gave the VUE wheels a lot of protection against those pesky curbs at the bank drive-through. We never had a wheel damage issue with the VUE. Also, a much wider sidewall provides a cushion against chuck hole impact. Another benefit of a protruding sidewall comes if you lay the wheel down on its outside face: the rim and spokes with a small aspect ratio tire can touch the pavement resulting in minor cosmetic damage. I had a BMW M3 with 19” very low aspect ratio tires and, therefore, no sidewall protection and got wheel damage on all four wheels.

The benefit to the lower aspect ratio tires (20” on the GLA) is that they have a stiffer sidewall and so less body roll due to tire flex. The narrow sidewall is inherently stiffer. Since the GLA is not really a competition or competition-like vehicle (the GLA45 not withstanding), the 20” wheels are a waste, except from an appearance standpoint. I don’t care for the appearance of the tiny sidewall tires, especially on large vehicles like the Suburban.

Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic (Glammy)

·
Registered
172 Posts
One advantage to the BridgeStone run-flats that came our 2016 GLA 250 with OEM 18" wheels is that the tires overhang the rims by quite a bit.
This is the first car in a long time that my wife has not been able to curb any of the wheels as yet in over 8 months of ownership. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts