Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am in the stage of deciding which Crossover/SUV to purchase within the next 6 months, and after hours of research online, I believe the GLA250 is the frontrunner.

However, because this car is so new in production, I cannot find any reliability information, and according to Consumer Reports, 2014 Mercedes CLA scored a poor reliability rating: Consumer Reports: Mercedes Benz CLA Worst Car In Lineup - Business Insider

Do you guys find any issues with the GLA? I have looked at the Issues section of this forum, and there are only 2 threads so far.

Thank you so much guys.

PS: The other crossovers/SUVs I am looking at are:
BMW X1
Audi Q3
Lexus NX
Honda CR-V

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am in the stage of deciding which Crossover/SUV to purchase within the next 6 months, and after hours of research online, I believe the GLA250 is the frontrunner.

However, because this car is so new in production, I cannot find any reliability information, and according to Consumer Reports, 2014 Mercedes CLA scored a poor reliability rating: Consumer Reports: Mercedes Benz CLA Worst Car In Lineup - Business Insider

Do you guys find any issues with the GLA? I have looked at the Issues section of this forum, and there are only 2 threads so far.

Thank you so much guys.

PS: The other crossovers/SUVs I am looking at are:
BMW X1
Audi Q3
Lexus NX
Honda CR-V

I'm one step ahead of you here - I'm picking up my GLA250 on Friday. I've done the research on the Lexus, BMW and Audi, and my wife owns a CR-V.

Regarding the CR-V - it shouldn't be on your list. Go look at an Acura RDX.
The CR-V is way underpowered. My wife now regrets not getting an MDX to replace her MDX. We had to downsize do to a work relocation and subsequent purchase of an intown townhouse. Super small garage.

Garage space is what drove my decision - the MDX and NX won't really fit on my side of the garage, thus leaving the Q3 and the GLA250.

I had pretty much decided on the Q3, but thought it was worth one quick look at the GLA250. I left the Mercedes dealer with a purchase quote in hand.

I found the GLA250 way more fun to drive - much quicker. Also, the MB dealer gave me $1,500 more for my trade and $1,500 more off the sticker. He also seemed interested in my business whereas the Audi dealer knew if I didn't but eh Q3 I was looking at, someone else was lined-up behind who would.

I'm getting a Jupiter Red GLA250; red isn't even offered on the Q3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing your experience with me, gurneyeagle,

I was at the dealerships and sat an each of them, but has yet to test drive any. The reason is I am worried that if I fall in love with the driving experience of one car I will disregard the areas I should be focusing on: Safety, Price, Reliability.

The reason why I looked at the CR-V as well is because of their well known reliability, I am sure the driving experience of the CR-V will not on par with the other I have shortlisted.

·
Registered
694 Posts
have you had the chance to drive any of them yet?
when it comes to the lexus i think they have started showing up to dealers already

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you had the chance to drive any of them yet?
when it comes to the lexus i think they have started showing up to dealers already
Hi AMGz,

No, I have not test drove any of them yet, and I want to line up all the testdrives in one day, so that the driving conditions are the same.

In fact, I may do that this weekend.

Cheers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been a subscriber to CR for years and one thing I've learned is when not to follow their advice. They hate the CLA and it looks like their upcoming GLA review will only be slightly more favorable. You can see some of their initial impressions here and here. Their reasons hinge more on a dislike of the brand going downmarket rather than a feature-for-feature comparison between competitors. I'm really puzzled to be honest, as I was very impressed by my two GLA test drives and pretty underwhelmed by my Q3 test drive. I can only assume that automotive appeal is as subjective as musical taste.

As for reliability, I would usually not consider a first-year model but the GLA has been out in some non-US markets for a year already, and the A and B classes on which so much of it is based have been around even longer. I'll be trading in my rock-solid 7-year-old Lexus next month for the GLA so I hope I'm not being too blinded by my emotions, but I really have fallen in love with this car.

Reactions: 24hourmom

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Dig through the CLA forums. The CLA250 has been around since 2013, so they've had more time on this platform. I spend a lot of time over there because I am always looking for modifications that also work on our GLA.

In my experience, people love this platform. I love it myself. Great daily driver and much more capable than you'd think. I throw everything at my GLA and it just keeps ticking.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/19-mercedes-benz-cla-250/8134-cla-250-reliability.html

here's some numbers for you. However, quite the small sample lol

I'll keep digging

Consider this though, we really aren't getting the '1st model year..' They've been perfecting the GLA since 2013 (I think people had their CLA's in mid 2012 though, right?) when they released the CLA. Virtually everything is shared, but from what I have seen, the GLA is an improvement overall.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
There's also a member here who traded in their CLA to get a GLA. I wish I could remember who that was... Sorry :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can't compare the NX with the GLA for driving, the NX feels bigger and floating, especially into corners, plus it's not a real SUV due to it's limited 4x4 drive options... sort of a luxury 'bus' that's more design than real SUV function...

The GLA in comparison has real 4x4 credentials (with the 4-matic), plus it's more dynamic and direct to drive, with better cornering and performance... it's more of a drivers car...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much for your input!!

I really appreciate it. I will go test drive the cars this weekend and make my decision. My mind is only on the GLA now...

·
Registered
243 Posts

I really appreciate it. I will go test drive the cars this weekend and make my decision. My mind is only on the GLA now...
Sounds like you've made your decision unless something really bad happens.

Let us know how your test drive goes.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Good that you are taking the time to drive all the cars. Each one of us has a different set of needs/wants in a car that drive our opinions and decisions.

While it is great to get input, in the end, you are the one writing the check.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Reactions: hfcman

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
GLA over Q3

I only drove two crossover SUVs before deciding. Lexus and Land Rover dealerships are 60 miles away, so decided they weren't practical for service.

I was originally interested in Q3. Audi and MB are at same dealership where I live. I'd driven a Q5 as a loaner when my wife's GLK was in the shop and liked it, but wanted a smaller sportier vehicle. When the first Q3 arrived in early September I arranged to test drive it. The dealer told me they didn't expect to get a GLA until later in the month. Fortunately, a GLA arrived the same day I went to test the Q3. Like gurneyeagle I was underwhelmed by Q3. We'd looked at a Tiguan several years before for my wife. I felt like the Q3 was pretty much a Tiguan with a different grille and badge. I'd pretty much decided against the Q3 by the end of the test drive. Getting out of the Q3 and going immediately to drive the GLA, found the GLA to be superior in every respect. The GLA is no ML or even GLK when it comes to features and refinement, but certainly worth the price premium compared to Q3.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only drove two crossover SUVs before deciding. Lexus and Land Rover dealerships are 60 miles away, so decided they weren't practical for service.

I was originally interested in Q3. Audi and MB are at same dealership where I live. I'd driven a Q5 as a loaner when my wife's GLK was in the shop and liked it, but wanted a smaller sportier vehicle. When the first Q3 arrived in early September I arranged to test drive it. The dealer told me they didn't expect to get a GLA until later in the month. Fortunately, a GLA arrived the same day I went to test the Q3. Like gurneyeagle I was underwhelmed by Q3. We'd looked at a Tiguan several years before for my wife. I felt like the Q3 was pretty much a Tiguan with a different grille and badge. I'd pretty much decided against the Q3 by the end of the test drive. Getting out of the Q3 and going immediately to drive the GLA, found the GLA to be superior in every respect. The GLA is no ML or even GLK when it comes to features and refinement, but certainly worth the price premium compared to Q3.

You nailed it as far as I am concerned on the Q3 versus GLA. I also agree 100% that the GLA isn't at the same level as some of the other Benz models.

What was my main decision driver? Garage space.

I live in a town house and my "side" of our two car garage allows about 175" of car length to still leave room for mrs. gurney to pass in front of the vehicle in order to get to the door into the house.

I had a 370Z Nismo (172") I parked in the garage as a toy, and drove a 2014 MINI Countryman as a daily driver that had to be parked on the street. I sold the Z and am trading the MINI in on the GLA.

The driver for my decision - I wanted a well-equipped, well-built, four passenger car that was about 175" long. Not too many available for a reasonable price.

While a blast to drive, the MINI is just a little too rough around the edges and way too quirky to be my only car. I priced them though, and comparably equipped, a Countryman S All-4 isn't much less than the GLA250, but way more refined.

I pick up the GLA in about an hour, so fingers crossed it is all I expect it to be. Pictures to follow.

Have a great weekend all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too looked at the Lexus NX (F Sport). The GLA is a little bit bigger in the trunk, and not so "pointy". They both have long front ends, but the NX sticks out a little further (not good for short people and parallel parking, lol). It is also a little more expensive, and aside from the Qi charging tray (featured in the Lexus), I cannot figure out why.
I was not happy to learn that the NX was built on the CRV wheel base. My neighbor has a 2014 CRV. Even with great reviews (the CRV) I did not like the comparison.

The NX F-sport is a comparable model to the GLA. I like the sleek design of the GLA, and I like its "roadiness". No, its not as quiet as typical Mercedes, nor does it look like the others. The NX is typical of the Lexus 350 if you ask me. That's not what I wanted, hence looking at an F-sport, not the NX.

I don't know what others get on gas, but I get about 32mpg on the highway 34 with ECO on. No big thing. Haven't figured out the city.

Acura was the third choice for me - you get more bang for your buck in terms of space and features, but that big metal logo V shaped "bib" on the front of the Acura is a turn off. I wanted sportier and sexier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you tint your own windows on your GLA, or did the dealer do it?

Mine came with the rear windows tinted, but I'm considering matching the front.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Did you tint your own windows on your GLA, or did the dealer do it?

Mine came with the rear windows tinted, but I'm considering matching the front.
Match the tint, looks great. It enhances the design aspects of the car without being broken up by 2-toned windows

1 - 20 of 24 Posts