Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last week my husband and I went to test drive a GLA 250 FWD. We never owned a luxury car before so it was exciting to see we could effort one. Now my concern is with the changes, although not drastic, with the new 2016. The salesman did not tell me when they would have the new model in, but considering they are the biggest MB dealership in the US, I'd think they would get it first. So, not sure if he was honest.

The futures in the new model like bigger screen size, 180 degree view rear-camera, and other now standard options are very good. I just reviewed the Dealer Guide posted here which confirmed what I've been reading online about the changes. However, the salesman told me there will not be any changes whatsoever and if it doesn't say it on MB official website, then its not correct.

I have a feeling that they are not telling me the truth just so they can get rid of the older model first. He told me later on the phone that they can offer very good discounts if I consider buying it.

So, now do I buy a 2015 GLA 250 with discounts (assuming they will offer a good deal considering its already an old car) or do I wait for the 16 model to show up in the showrooms but possibly not getting much discount, if at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Personal perspective, but the Dealer Ordering Guide is about as official as you will find for MY2016; our sales rep sent one in June. Only thing not really firmed up by MBUSA was base price, though you will see it unofficially at a variety of places on the internet.

You certainly will get a better deal on 2015 models, as dealers are anxious to reduce old inventory. However, there's a year of experience with MY2015 and as you read in this forum, a variety of software or other changes that have come about for GLA components as experience in the new GLA model expands. That was my specific reason to wait for MY2016, second year probably better. Also, we've recently learned MY2016 GLAs will have a chunk of MBrace features free for four or five years, and likely will be Apple CarPlay compatible.

Sounds like (my opinion) your sales rep is incentivized to move 2015 inventory. What is more important to you, price or improved features? I waited quite a while to order a 2016 model, and then over four months for production and shipment to Hawaii. Now that delivery is a month or less out, I'm glad we waited.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi all,

Last week my husband and I went to test drive a GLA 250 FWD. We never owned a luxury car before so it was exciting to see we could effort one. Now my concern is with the changes, although not drastic, with the new 2016. The salesman did not tell me when they would have the new model in, but considering they are the biggest MB dealership in the US, I'd think they would get it first. So, not sure if he was honest.

The futures in the new model like bigger screen size, 180 degree view rear-camera, and other now standard options are very good. I just reviewed the Dealer Guide posted here which confirmed what I've been reading online about the changes. However, the salesman told me there will not be any changes whatsoever and if it doesn't say it on MB official website, then its not correct.

I have a feeling that they are not telling me the truth just so they can get rid of the older model first. He told me later on the phone that they can offer very good discounts if I consider buying it.

So, now do I buy a 2015 GLA 250 with discounts (assuming they will offer a good deal considering its already an old car) or do I wait for the 16 model to show up in the showrooms but possibly not getting much discount, if at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

let me tell you that you can get discounts even for a 2016, if they tell you otherwise go to a different dealer and shop around. The mbusa.com website still shows the 2015 set up. The 2016 navigation and screen will be similar to the updated C class.

Overall its up to you but, biggest advantage of the 2015 would be for huge discounts. 2016 is only 1.75 months away after all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm leasing my current car, and the lease is up at the end of this month. That's another issue which makes me worried. If I wait for the 2016 model to come to the dealership, or order ahead of time, I will need a car for the time period. If I go with the 2015 model I can get it the same day with huge discounts but not have the upgrades. Sigh...

I read somewhere that someone got 10% discount of off MSRP. If we go with the 2015, is this a good starting point? This will be my first car buying experience so I want to know what should be my floor price without being too unrealistic.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I may be wrong, but seriously doubt that the dealership will offer a significant discount on a new 2015. I bought one of the first 2015 GLAs delivered last year and was able to negotiate below MSRP. Assuming you can also negotiate below MSRP for a 2016, but with a base price increase, it will be more than the price of the 2015 with same discount off of MSRP. Since 2015 is already lower, the dealership doesn't have that much reason to further discount the 2015. They know that someone will come along and by it, just because it is cheaper than 2016.

·
Registered
123 Posts
May be better to wait for the 2016 but your expiring lease does pose a problem unless you can go without for a while or borrow someone's car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have a lot of options, but only you can make the decision.
2015 Pros:
-Get it today. Instant gratification.
-Discount. Depends on what they're willing to give, but it could be a good deal or not much at all.
2016 Pros:
-A few features now standard.
-Better resale value as it's considered newer.

If it was me I'd weigh how much the discount on the 2015 is vs the added value of having a 2016. The new 2016 standard features themselves are nice, but keep in mind the 2015 GLA is pretty sweet as it is.

And now to muddy the waters even further, you can get discounts on 2016 but your salesperson isn't likely to offer one while they have a bunch of 2015s taking up space. They might once the 15s have sold, but they might not. The one discount that isn't dependent on your salesperson is the European Delivery discount. It's usually 7-8% of MSRP, and also removes the destination charge too if I recall correctly. You'll have to get yourself to Stuttgart to pick it up, but it's a really fun experience. You drive it around as much as you like then drop it off and MB ships it back to the US for you free of charge. Then you pick it up at your dealership a month or so later. That might not work for you with your current lease expiring, but it's something you should know about. European Delivery Program - Mercedes Vehicle Shipping - Mercedes-Benz

·
Registered
27 Posts
I may be wrong, but seriously doubt that the dealership will offer a significant discount on a new 2015. I bought one of the first 2015 GLAs delivered last year and was able to negotiate below MSRP. Assuming you can also negotiate below MSRP for a 2016, but with a base price increase, it will be more than the price of the 2015 with same discount off of MSRP. Since 2015 is already lower, the dealership doesn't have that much reason to further discount the 2015. They know that someone will come along and by it, just because it is cheaper than 2016.
All depends what you consider significant, both in terms of the improvement as well as the discount. I got 11.7% off MSRP on GLA 45 a few weeks ago, which I considered significant enough to go with the '15 rather than order '16 and wait 3 months. Deals are certainly out there, but it really depends on which aspects are more important to you and what kind of deal you personally can get.

·
Registered
694 Posts
All depends on how easy it is for them to move it since there can be many ways they have that make it harder for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for the great information. We are going to a different dealer this weekend, and will see how much discount they will offer. As most of you mentioned, we should compare the discount with the added futures.

·
Registered
880 Posts
also im not sure if this applies to you in terms of a lease but when leasing a new car, lease a 16 vs 15 because you will be paying for more residual loss

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you so much for the great information. We are going to a different dealer this weekend, and will see how much discount they will offer. As most of you mentioned, we should compare the discount with the added futures.
Here is my experience we bought ours in Aug - 2015 GLA 250. We were able to negotiate a great deal. This one had 10 K miles and CPO - someone traded in and bought GLK I guess. I was able to get almost 20% off MSRP on fully loaded GLA. To me CPO is not a bad option - You get another year's unlimited miles warranty and have more negotiating power. We made the decision mainly because - had no patience to wait for months for 2016 and got a good deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are planning to finance the car.

Also, has any of you shopped at Newport Beach location? They said they are the biggest MB dealership in the US, but we didn't really like the sales person we had last weekend. If we go back, can we talk to someone else or you have to deal with whoever helped you first?

If we decide to buy the car, I'd like to buy it from this location as they offer car wash etc and its close to my house (this of course if they match the price we get from other dealership we are going to visit this weekend).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
...has any of you shopped at Newport Beach location? They said they are the biggest MB dealership in the US, but we didn't really like the sales person we had last weekend. If we go back, can we talk to someone else or you have to deal with whoever helped you first?
I'm always wary when a dealer says they are the largest or best at anything. I've lived all over the US, and the "biggest" dealers in the world are in almost every location. Also, if you notice, there seem to be hundreds of the same awards given out to many so they can boast of being award winners...which are near the category of "perfect attendance" in school. Have you been in any dealership that doesn't have some form of a JD Powers award? You know, where the dealership tells you anything less than the highest grade on a survey is a personal failure for them...nothing like a guilt trip.

If you want to avoid the first sales rep, why not call the dealership and find out what that person's hours are and go when they are off? Otherwise, other than the pucker factor, so what? It's your small fortune in money. Even if they are there, feel free to ask for someone else. If they were rude or not helpful, you might do the dealership a favor by politely saying so.

I have worked with the same sales rep for many years and multiple MBs now, but another at the dealership started spamming me with e-mail and phone calls once he learned I was interested in a GLA. After he wouldn't take a polite hint I just told him how uncomfortable I was and to knock it off...please!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Los Angeles County and I'm also shopping for my first luxury car. I looked up dealership Yelp reviews but since the nearby MB dealership's was bad, I chose to go to one with very good reviews 20 miles away using the Costco program. So far, everyone's been nice and I like my salesman but understandably, he wanted me to buy a 2015 off their lot. That was not an option for me, especially since they do not have the exact options for my wants and budget and I'm excited about even the small 2016 upgrades. Armed with internet research, I pre-ordered a 2016. I've been driving my very old SUV since I gave up a 2011 lease last June. I had preordered a PHEV car that was supposed to arrive around now but then I found the GLA 250 and now I have to wait again. Hope all this waiting is worth it.
As for plan B, the Audi dealership in my area has excellent Yelp reviews and its basic crossover's 2016 is available and has all the stuff I want except for the car stereo which could easily be added, so there you go. I guess what I'm trying to say is we should be willing to walk away if something stinks really bad.
At the very least, please stay away from that very dishonest salesman.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in Los Angeles County and I'm also shopping for my first luxury car. I looked up dealership Yelp reviews but since the nearby MB dealership's was bad, I chose to go to one with very good reviews 20 miles away using the Costco program. So far, everyone's been nice and I like my salesman but understandably, he wanted me to buy a 2015 off their lot. That was not an option for me, especially since they do not have the exact options for my wants and budget and I'm excited about even the small 2016 upgrades. Armed with internet research, I pre-ordered a 2016. I've been driving my very old SUV since I gave up a 2011 lease last June. I had preordered a PHEV car that was supposed to arrive around now but then I found the GLA 250 and now I have to wait again. Hope all this waiting is worth it.
As for plan B, the Audi dealership in my area has excellent Yelp reviews and its basic crossover's 2016 is available and has all the stuff I want except for the car stereo which could easily be added, so there you go. I guess what I'm trying to say is we should be willing to walk away if something stinks really bad.
At the very least, please stay away from that very dishonest salesman.
How much below the MSRP the discount you got from Costco? We don't have a membership, but I was thinking if its' worth it I could get it. And, how long do you have to wait for your 2016 GLA?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. My lease is up early December, so I am waiting for the 2016. The new standard features are significant enough for me that it makes sense waiting for the 2016 to be in stock. I would keep in mind the following:

1) 2016s are already at the port in the US and are arriving at dealers next week, with a lot more coming thereafter.
2) 2015s are being offered at 7% off MSRP right off the bat, without even asking. You should offer below that.... There will always be a discount, even on newly arrived 2016s.
3) Mbusa.com for some reason is not updated, but pricing is out and prices are up about 3%. A hefty increase on the face of it, but less so when you think about the features that are now standard.
4) You mentioned this is your first "luxury" car. For that reason alone, I would think it is important for you to get the car YOU want with the specs you prefer... not what the salesman is pushing.
5) if there is a gap between when your lease is up and when you will have the new one, you can always rent a car for a few weeks for an implied monthly payment that is not significantly higher than your lease. In the next few years, having been in a rent-a-car for a few weeks will be a distant memory overshadowed by the joy and satisfaction of being in the perfect car for you!

that was my thought process at least... so I am waiting for a 2016 in stock with the right combinations of options for me...

best of luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some guys just like to say there's is biggest and on principle alone I'd go to number 2, they try harder. Actually I'd google every stealership in your area and see who gets the best review for aftermarket service. Then I'd try and find out who was the most honest salesman. 2015 vs 2016 I'd go where my money would be treated best. 2015 should have the best deals as the 2016's hit the showroom floor. Shop and compare.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm going to talk about buying cars in general addressing many of the comments made here.

First of all the dealership is not your friend, you do not have any friends on the sales staff. Selling cars is a business and most dealerships work under the understanding you will not be back to buy another car in their dealership because the stats support that which means they are money ahead going after maximum profit with every customer. Like most people you would probably prefer to part with as few dollars as possible in trade for that shiny new toy so your relationship with your dealer is adversarial. You may not like that concept but that is the truth and it implies a number of things but first of all and most important with you must do your own due diligence to ascertain whether any information they give you is factually correct and this applies to every aspect of your purchase; determining what is available, determining among the options what is most suitable, determining fair pricing, etc. As the sales staff are neither friends nor family your only obligation to them is the same politeness and respect you would show any other person. You do not need to feel bad about asking for a different sales person or leaving that dealership and finding another. It is quite possible you will spend less if you make your search area wide and shopping your prospective buy around is a good policy that will often bear fruit.

There are two aspects of buying a year old car that matter. The first is cost savings or at least perceived cost savings. While you pay less up front you need to remember both cars will depreciate substantially once they roll off the lot but one will already be a year old car and less valuable than the other every day until you get less for it at resale when your ownership is done. You will still usually be money ahead but not so much as it might at first seem. The more important thing about year old cars has to do with your own predilections. Someone like me will regret every day not getting what I wanted in the first place and this makes buying a year old car a bad choice for me when there are changes in the new one that matter to me. Other people can save the money and be happy with the choice. If you're not sure just remember that the extra money spent is usually not that significant compared to years of regret every time you drive the car. The same concept applies to options on the car, get what you want within your budget or be prepared to hear your inner monologue say "I so wish I would have spent another 40 bucks a month...".

Dont forget sweeteners. Things like getting some maintenance thrown in, floor mats, etc. The dealer financing will often be competitive so keep in mind that if it is the dealer gets a kick on it so this in turn gives you a little negotiating power to try and get more sweeteners thrown in. Also keep in mind that the same extended warranty is sold by any dealer so shop it around.

As to the cost of the year old car the price does not stay the same as said above, it will continue to go down until it is sold because it costs dealers money to floor cars and they longer the sit the less they make until the car eventually becomes a loss. Your trade off for waiting further is that the longer you wait the less choices you have as the cars get culled out by buyers.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Crabman gave everyone's comments marvelous real world perspective. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts