Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
If someone has some information regarding how to debadge GLA 250 2015?
I asked merc sales man and he told me that they dont have this feature for GLA 2015? Did someone get it done, help me here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Forum member nightscar debadged his, he seems a decent helpful sort so if he doesn't show up on his own hook you might try sending a PM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks crabman. I will wait for him cz I have time, else I will PM him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First, check to see if the emblem you want to remove is recessed into the body panel. If the sheet metal has been stamped to receive the emblem, you cannot remove the emblem without showing the recessed area.

If the emblem is simply attached to the body with double sided tape (which is the case for most cars), here are the steps to remove emblems:

1. Use a heat gun (hair dryer) and get the emblem hot. All it takes is 15-20 seconds blowing hot air on the emblem.
2. Use dental floss (I prefer 20 lb fishing line), wear gloves, and saw under the emblem to cut into the glue. Reapply heat if necessary.
3. With the emblem off, use Goo Gone, Goof Off, or WD40 to remove the residue adhesive.
4. Wipe area with alcohol
5. Reapply wax

Alternatively, paint the emblems with Plastidip spray. Check on Youtube to see how to do it. I've done both on other cars and prefer Plastidip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great Rfong, thanks a ton.

Small queries:
-How can i check if emblem is recessed or simply attached? I want it for GLA 250 2015.
-If I will follow the steps mentioned by you, will it hamper any kind of warranty from Merc or something?

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The front center fascia MB emblem is recessed (and mechanically fastened) whereas the front fender (for the GLA AMG model) and rear hatch emblems are not.

Also to clarify one item…do NOT use a shop grade heat gun but rather a hair dryer to warm up the emblems to be remove.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why do people debadge their cars? Makes no sense to me....

Reactions: Xtheunknown

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why do people debadge their cars? Makes no sense to me....
The cleaner, non-badged look appeals to some. To put it in perspective, some cars are over-badged with emblems, trims, drive modes plastered everywhere. It's a continuum.

What really doesn't make sense to me is when people remove one badge and then replace it with another. No, your Honda is not a Ferrari simply because it wears the badge.

·
Registered
816 Posts
What really doesn't make sense to me is when people remove one badge and then replace it with another

Ahhh…you mean something like this :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It can have many reasons like:

-You will have more empty space at back. Some people like plain back.
-You can use this space to print something else like you name or some symbol (which I am planning to).
-If you don't want people to know which model of car you have and just to show the brand.

Merc itself give you this option in some of the models and they say: Let your car's performance do the talking with the discrete deletion of its rear decklid model emblems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, way too much branding for me nowadays. People seem to love it though, otherwise they wouldn't pay 500 bucks to light up an already ridiculously oversized star. Or lighted door sill plates for 700 screaming out AMG that will reside mere inches from the AMG logo already on the floor.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey there, I debadged mine myself, side and rear. Link here for pics: http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...-anybody-de-badged-their-gla-3.html#post49081

It's really simple to do, just need hair dryer, floss, goo-gone or one of those adhesive removers to clean off any residues and patience (probably the most important thing to do it right). I've pretty much debadged all my vehicles in the past and I personally prefer to do it during a sunny day after the car has sat for a while since the heat does help make the tape pliable. Just heat up part of the emblem for about 8-10 seconds and slowly lift up the emblem and it should lift easily like the tape is about to melt. This would be best and easier with help, one could hold and point the hair dryer while you lift the emblem. If the emblems being stubborn and is difficult to move, while someone is heating up the emblem use the floss to run it through the tape, just double up or triple up the floss so it doesn't break right away. If it is truly, truly stubborn and as a last resort, spray good gone on the emblem and let it sit and soak for a minute or two and that will slowly soften up the adhesive/tape, hit it with the hair dryer and then pull or floss. Key is patience to avoid any scratches in the paint.

Once the emblems removed, there maybe some adhesive left, you can keep heating it up with the hair dryer and just slowly pull it out or spray that goo-gone and let it soak and then slowly wipe it with a towel. There will also be some shade of the old emblems mark that will remain and can be seen in different angles, just apply more goo-gone or any tar/bug remover and then wipe til it's all gone. Remember to apply wax on the site of the emblem as goo-gone and tar/bug remover takes out the wax on the paint.

And that is pretty much it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As for why I debadge, I just really like the clean look, always have. I personally do not need to advertise it's an AMG and there are already AMG/Mercedes logos everywhere in the vehicle, the front grill has AMG emblem, all four break calipers has AMG print, wheel caps has the tri-star logo and I think there is an AMG or MB logo etched on the headlights too iirc.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As for why I debadge, I just really like the clean look, always have. I personally do not need to advertise it's an AMG and there are already AMG/Mercedes logos everywhere in the vehicle, the front grill has AMG emblem, all four break calipers has AMG print, wheel caps has the tri-star logo and I think there is an AMG or MB logo etched on the headlights too iirc.
Oh and did I mention that this is in addition of the giant star emblem in the grill (I actually like this a lot) and just above that is an MB hood emblem (feels redundant to have it so close to the big star in the grill).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I forgot that one, I hate that the hood emblem cant be removed. Considering its proximity to the ridiculously oversize star I think it should be made an option called "Incredibly redundant hood badge" or something along those lines. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like the huge star but I am also curious how a clean horizontal slat grill would look on the GLA, like on the old S-Class. I think it could look nice and doesn't make the hood emblem too bad.

thanks nightscar, nicely explained
No problem. Let us know how it works out for you and please, post pics when you are done. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm curious if it would just look too plain, or if it would be a nice simplicity. Very curious to see. Hoping for pictures or a render.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts