Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local dealership to schedule my “A” service and was told they don’t give loaners for the A service because it takes less than 2 hours. So I called the next nearest dealership and was told that, yes, of course I would be given a loaner. That will now be my go-to dealership. Just wondering if anyone else has been denied a loaner and under what circumstances. I was under the impression that loaners were SOP for Mercedes. BWT, I didn’t purchase my GLA at either dealership.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My local dealer has a policy where they don’t give out loaners to customers who didn’t purchase the vehicle from them. After some hassling them the service manager essentially said that they work the price of the loaner fleet into their car sales price so you ‘pay for the privilege of the loaner’. They do have a shuttle van that’ll drop you off and pick you up pretty much anywhere but riding the dealership bus is kind of annoying haha.

Next closet dealer has sent me across the street to a chain car rental place on their dime and also given a loaner for a couple days (CLA 250).

Each dealer is privately owned and MBUSA says it’s up to the discretion of the dealer for a loaner, I don’t think they really get in the middle of loaner complaints if it gets brought that far.

Some decent advice is to try and find a trusted local independent shop that specializes in European and higher end cars and use them for routine maintenance versus paying mercedes dealer prices for their service ‘A & B’ plan and save the dealer visits for warranty work (if applicable). For example I can get my oil changed at the local high end euro shop for 65% of what the dealer charges, and they have customer service above and beyond what the dealer does. Your service A isn’t going to be much more than just that, an oil change and a glorified multi point inspection, but the reputable independent shop is going to do a courtesy multi point anyway with an oil change. Maybe go to the dealer once a year if you care about software updates but there’s a reason the service departments get called ‘stealerships’.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local dealer has a policy where they don’t give out loaners to customers who didn’t purchase the vehicle from them. After some hassling them the service manager essentially said that they work the price of the loaner fleet into their car sales price so you ‘pay for the privilege of the loaner’. They do have a shuttle van that’ll drop you off and pick you up pretty much anywhere but riding the dealership bus is kind of annoying haha.

Next closet dealer has sent me across the street to a chain car rental place on their dime and also given a loaner for a couple days (CLA 250).

Each dealer is privately owned and MBUSA says it’s up to the discretion of the dealer for a loaner, I don’t think they really get in the middle of loaner complaints if it gets brought that far.

Some decent advice is to try and find a trusted local independent shop that specializes in European and higher end cars and use them for routine maintenance versus paying mercedes dealer prices for their service ‘A & B’ plan and save the dealer visits for warranty work (if applicable). For example I can get my oil changed at the local high end euro shop for 65% of what the dealer charges, and they have customer service above and beyond what the dealer does. Your service A isn’t going to be much more than just that, an oil change and a glorified multi point inspection, but the reputable independent shop is going to do a courtesy multi point anyway with an oil change. Maybe go to the dealer once a year if you care about software updates but there’s a reason the service departments get called ‘stealerships’.
Thank you so much. This is great information!

·
Super Moderator
477 Posts
As well cited, dealerships set their own loaner policies. My local is fairly new and still trying to make a good impression so we've not [yet] had an issue getting one. But also keep in mind that they only have a set amount of same and therefore best to ask for one when you schedule service and well in advance if possible.

Finding a Benz independent Master mechanic can be like finding a nugget of gold in many locales. If you do, go with and stay with them!

·
Registered
2021 GLA 200d AMG Line, Sunroof, MTN Grey
22 Posts
I called my local dealership to schedule my “A” service and was told they don’t give loaners for the A service because it takes less than 2 hours. So I called the next nearest dealership and was told that, yes, of course I would be given a loaner. That will now be my go-to dealership. Just wondering if anyone else has been denied a loaner and under what circumstances. I was under the impression that loaners were SOP for Mercedes. BWT, I didn’t purchase my GLA at either dealership.
Sounds like customer service is not their number one priority. I am in Japan and am getting 6 month initial service on my 2021 GLA on Monday. The dealer is driving to my house (30 mins from dealership) to pick up my car for service and will drop off his company car for the loaner time during the inspection. They do take care of you very well here in Japan....

·
676 Posts
Had both my Mercedes serviced in the past 6 months and got a loaner each time. In 2016 got our first GLA and it was a loaner that had a special price as it had been a loaner. It only had 16 miles on it, must have been a one-time loaner. My dealer has new Mercedes as a loaner and put them on the sales floor after some miles are put on them at a discounted price. Warranty is based on when it is registered so they get the full factory warranty as the buyer is the first registered owner.

Reactions: LiveWellAndFree
1 - 6 of 6 Posts