Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Just had a cylinder head replacement at 20,800 miles on my 2021 GLA 250. Whats up with this. Steve Thomas
2021 amg gla 35... 30.000 klm ( am in Canada) roughly 18.000 miles same deal no compression cylinder head gone. 25 Days to get done . But I must say my dealer gave me a nice glc 300 loaner. Just for the star brand and Amg am not to happy am glad I lease this vehicle so once its up I will not get the star brand I try something else.

· Registered
4 Posts
You guys won’t believe this, they replaced the cylinder head and omg the car is worse and now it’s making this weird noise like a click clack. They just picked it up this morning. Idk how to upload the video of the sound??

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I just joined after doing research and finding this post. I just found out that my 2021 GLA with about 29,000 miles has a bad cylinder head. The check engine light came on with a rough idle, it seemed to correct itself but check engine light stayed on so I made appointment for service, two days before pickup by my local Benz dealer the light went off. Luckily I did not cancel the appointment, my MB tech called later that day and reported that my car had failed a pressure check, two cylinders with poor compression. The part is at the east coast so I should have my car back in around two weeks. I keep everyone posted... Hope I get a good engine tech..

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I just joined after doing research and finding this post. I just found out that my 2021 GLA with about 29,000 miles has a bad cylinder head. The check engine light came on with a rough idle, it seemed to correct itself but check engine light stayed on so I made appointment for service, two days before pickup by my local Benz dealer the light went off. Luckily I did not cancel the appointment, my MB tech called later that day and reported that my car had failed a pressure check, two cylinders with poor compression. The part is at the east coast so I should have my car back in around two weeks. I keep everyone posted... Hope I get a good engine tech..
I literally just got the same problem! Mine has 34K…looks like it eventually gets us all :’( now I’m scared there’ll be more problems.

· Registered
2 Posts
OK, here goes. 2021 MB GLB 250 with 36,200 miles. We did a 500 mile round trip on Jan 16, 2023 with no issues. In the morning on Jan 17, 2023 it started but the check engine light was FLASHING (I've always heard ON = important and FLASHING = emergency). Towed to the dealership and diagnosis = Cylinder Head.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 GLA 250 and my engine light came on then went off. A few weeks later the engine came back on and I scheduled an appointment at dealership. Well, the cylinder head fail and I'm now riding in a loaner. (21k miles) I'm leasing the vehicle but want out of the lease and placed in another car because I do not trust this SUV on the road. Can I get out of lease?

· Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
214 Posts
I have a 2021 GLA 250 and my engine light came on then went off. A few weeks later the engine came back on and I scheduled an appointment at dealership. Well, the cylinder head fail and I'm now riding in a loaner. (21k miles) I'm leasing the vehicle but want out of the lease and placed in another car because I do not trust this SUV on the road. Can I get out of lease?
welcome to the forum. sorry to hear of your problem.
Theoretically, yes, but unless you're trading into another Mercedes (and likely a more expensive one), they are either going to make it a tough process or charge you a penalty. My parents have always leased cars (except a few), and they have gotten out of the old lease a month or two early, but only because they were trading to another model and the payments would just be applied to that car ( like a store credit).

You can try and trade into a different MB and hope they go easy on you (or not charge), or see if another dealer will take it on trade (likely below market value tbh). Legally speaking, once you've signed a lease contract, you're obligated to pay the full amount you agreed to, regardless of whether or not you keep the car for the full lease term. Most dealers would rather avoid making enemies by having customers shell out the whole amount, so they move the lease to another car, or get you to buyout the current one and trade-in. Also check the Lemon Laws in your jurisdiction, maybe you can use those to your advantage. Hopefully MB or NHTSA recalls it by then.

IMO, you have nothing to be concerned about safety-wise. once they've fixed the car, you should be good to go. If it happens again, then I would talk to the GM at the dealer and see what can be done to find a different car.

· Registered
2 Posts
Just had a cylinder head replacement at 20,800 miles on my 2021 GLA 250. Whats up with this.

Steve Thomas
What is up with that BS indeed!!!
2021 GLB250 - Barely 21,000 miles - My Check Engine light came on then two days later it went off -- but a month later Check Engine light came back on so I took it in to dealer. Just got a call from service department it's a cylinder head, stay in loaner it should be about two weeks :O.. luckily it is under warranty but it's a hassle. The car was making a weird lowkey knocking noise. I hope it's worth the repair or I'm trading it in. :( (I know this forum is for GLA but I wanted to share in the concerns so you are aware it is also happening to the GLBs)

· Registered
2 Posts
You guys won’t believe this, they replaced the cylinder head and omg the car is worse and now it’s making this weird noise like a click clack. They just picked it up this morning. Idk how to upload the video of the sound??
oh noo.. dont tell me that!.. That is my exact concern. My car is currently in dealer getting the Cylinder head replaced. { 2021 GLB250 only 21,000 }. I don't think it will be the same after that extensive repair :(

· Registered
315 Posts
From Reddit. No way to verify the source so take it as a grain of salt, but here’s some info on the subject…
Font Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant Document

Interestingly enough, I also frequent the CLA forums and haven’t seen one post yet regarding this issue on the new-gen c118 CLA 250 with the same M260 motor. I might cross post this thread over there to see if there’s anyone with a similar story with a CLA…

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, I got my 2021 GLA back about 3 weeks ago, and all seems fine. At idle no uneven firing, no wobble, good power, not quite Honda smooth but I believe I have had a very good cylinder head replacement. Also, when I bought the car I shopped around for the 100,000 mile MB warranty, so I'm keeping it. Overall I like my 2021 GLA much better than my 2016 and 2020 loaner GLA.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts