Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
What's up is apparently a part that made it through in-line inspection that shouldn't have. :(

Case in point: My ordered 2011 Audi A5 leaked water into the cabin the very first rainfall post-delivery. And this despite the "monsoon test" you see at the assembly line end in all manufacturer factory videos. Some inspector wasn't doing their job!

Vendor parts usually undergo a sampling inspection and therefore not 100% inspected. However Benz-produced engines are at least supposed to be 100% cold tested (with compressed air) so certainly a bad head is atypical. Possibly a bad head gasket which led to valve damage?

Anyway, good to read you got it replaced/resolved under warranty and should be ok from this point on. :)
Just had a cylinder head replacement at 20,800 miles on my 2021 GLA 250. Whats up with this.

Steve Thomas

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve,
I’ve got you beat. Mine went in at 16,400 miles for a replacement. It’s the second one at this dealership. They gave me a loaner. Parts are in the states. Once everything arrives they say it will be a 2 week process. This is my first lease and I’m thrilled that I leased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just joined this forum to echo this problem. Literally just returned from the dealer with a loaner and the cause is.... bad cylinder head. Car has 14k miles on it. Glad I leased, I'll never buy another german car. This was my first after many many hondas with zero issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing has just happened to me at 17600mi. I have burnt valve or seat in one cylinder. 2 weeks at least before I get it back. And here I thought I was buying a quality automobile for the first time in my life.

How do you guys(owners) feel going forward?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's up is apparently a part that made it through in-line inspection that shouldn't have. :(

Case in point: My ordered 2011 Audi A5 leaked water into the cabin the very first rainfall post-delivery. And this despite the "monsoon test" you see at the assembly line end in all manufacturer factory videos. Some inspector wasn't doing their job!

Vendor parts usually undergo a sampling inspection and therefore not 100% inspected. However Benz-produced engines are at least supposed to be 100% cold tested (with compressed air) so certainly a bad head is atypical. Possibly a bad head gasket which led to valve damage?

Anyway, good to read you got it replaced/resolved under warranty and should be ok from this point on. :)
Just got the same news about my 2020 MB GLB 4matic @22k miles. They said it will take 4-6 weeks to get the cylinder head from Germany. Glad they gave me a loaner, but with this mechanical fault and all the safety recalls, I have to say I don’t think I’ll be continuing with MB.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
We got rid of my wife's prior Caddy ATS due to incessant recalls (and poor headlights). They weren't major ones but so often that they gave us pause, not to mention the inconvenience of near constant returns to the dealership.

Not anywhere near as many recalls for her 2018 GLA which replaced it, but I do empathize. Uncharacteristically Benz dealers now openly cite that the the GLA is "entry level" so as to lower expectations. Flies in the face of "the best or nothing."

We've had very good experiences with both our AWD & RWD GLA's, but as Benz went to a bigger SUV form in the 2020+ evolution we too won't be returning to same. But hopefully that's many miles/years down the road.
Just got the same news about my 2020 MB GLB 4matic @22k miles. They said it will take 4-6 weeks to get the cylinder head from Germany. Glad they gave me a loaner, but with this mechanical fault and all the safety recalls, I have to say I don’t think I’ll be continuing with MB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently it is a known issue. I just came back from the dealer today, my wife's 2021 GLA 4Matic with 20,000 miles has a bad cylinder head. it will take about a week to fix so they provided a loaner in the meantime.
Glad this is a lease, the wife was planning to keep it after the lease ends, but not anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently it is a known issue. I just came back from the dealer today, my wife's 2021 GLA 4Matic with 20,000 miles has a bad cylinder head. it will take about a week to fix so they provided a loaner in the meantime.
Glad this is a lease, the wife was planning to keep it after the lease ends, but not anymore.
Thanks for sharing. I’m not going to buy mine either. It’s kind of like they leased us lemons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts