Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it's a Curt hitch and was installed by Rack n Road yesterday. Really pleased with it and will post photos soon when I can.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Did you have it wired for a trailer harness? I'm assuming not if you are using solely as a bike rack holder. Just wondering where one would tap in for trailer wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you have it wired for a trailer harness? I'm assuming not if you are using solely as a bike rack holder. Just wondering where one would tap in for trailer wiring.
The same seller also has a package that provides wiring and a ball hitch for full on trailer wiring, but I haven't looked into those myself.

I'm sure other providers/installers of the same hitch also carry the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes it's a Curt hitch and was installed by Rack n Road yesterday. Really pleased with it and will post photos soon when I can.

Can you share how much you paid for the rack and how much you paid for installation?

Also, did they tell you what the towing capacity was for this hitch? I think the GLA 250 4matic has 1800kg, but I have the front-wheel drive GLA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed a Curt trailer hitch on my 2020 GLA250. It is to carry my mountain bike on my 1Up bike carrier; I do not plan on towing anything. I read that there have been changes since the instructions and video posted by eTrailer (for a 2017 model). This definitely appears true, comparing them to my 2020 model. For example, for newer models one must cut an inch or more out of the bumper bottom‘s unpainted black plastic trim, but it is not noticeable unless one crawls to look from underneath. Also, 2020 does not require removing exhaust sport tips/squares (i.e. skip this step). So far, I am very happy with the trailer hitch. See below for pics.

My takeaways (as a novice) are to take your time removing all of the plastic pieces required to uninstall the rear facia in order to install the trailer hitch, and then reinstall rear fascia. Also, take a picture of each step on your cell phone (as this can be a lifesaver, even following instructions, and also save you from second-guessing yourself later). Third, use sandwich baggies and stickies to label/group each set of screws and snap pieces that you remove, where they go, etc. Fourth, it took several hours for me to do with my dad. While one could probably do it a lot faster, if one is über meticulous like me, it’s worth it to take one’s time (to not scratch/break, not miss something). Fifth, make your you have all of the tools required, some of which are special (e.g. various torx keys, torx ratchet sockets, crowfoot wrenches, plastic removal tools, and flexible socket extension cables). Lastly, one must watch the video from eTrailer, read instructions, and also watch a Mercedes video on removing the rear area interior lip/base to access two additional bolts (to remove rear fascia).

Viel Glück mit deinem GLA250 Projeckte

·
Registered
21 Posts
@DerRoteBaron Looks awesome, thanks for the update. I'm assuming you didn't do any extra wiring for possibly towing light trailer with lights, did you?
Mine arrived as well (cheapest at Home Depot believe it or not) and I need to find time to install it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, Itsmemagic! Correct, I did not do any wiring for additional brakelights, trailering, etc. If you do plan to do this, I did see an adapter that requires no splicing, but it is pricey (i.e. $200-250). I only needed the trailer hitch for my 1Up rack for my mountain bike, so I did not go further to wire anything for additional brakelights (i.e. no towing planned).

·
Registered
10 Posts
A heads up. My Blind Spot indicators are illuminated on my 2020 GLA250. It may be a false positive due to my 1Up rack being installed. When the rain here ceases, I may uninstall the bicycle carrier for a few minutes to confirm my suspicion this is what is triggering the blind spot indicator. When I reinstalled the rear fascia, I plugged the cable back in for this, so I do not think that is the culprit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do you know the exact torque requirement for those 16mm bolts for the hitch? Are there any other ones that need to be that specific?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts