Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mercedes is enjoying such success with the CLA and GLA that they are legitimately considering importing the A class hatchback as well.

Mercedes compact volume jumped from 226,000 units in 2012 to more than 463,000 units last year, with nearly 66% of those buyers being new to the brand, which is spurring Mercedes to hunt for more volume at lower levels.

According to the Detroit Bureau, Daimler will more then likely debut the A class in North America along with the next generation W176 platformed cars. The news also ties into the eventual Daimler-Nissan-Renault joint facility in Mexico, where the A class will join future CLA and GLA production for North America.

The Aguas Caliente facility is already churning out Nissan branded products and is expected to start churning out Mercedes vehicles in 2018. Expect the A class along with a revised CLA and GLA then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the GLA/CLA Class diminished the brand in the US as some highbrows suggest, what will a mid to upper $20,000 base A Class do for it? Will it cannibalize the GLA? Maybe they will sell it under the smart brand name.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nah, doubt they'd make it a Smart car. I also doubt it'll cost less than $30k. The CLA keeps going up in price year after year and by the time the A-Class gets to the US by 2019-2020, the CLA will probably start in the $35k range and the A-Class can take it's place in the low $30k range.

I am sure many purist will hate it but will learn to love it and Mercedes will make their money back. In the end it is about volume sales and creating future clients and the CLA and GLA seems to be doing the job for them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It seems like it would compete with the GLA. Who knows though. At this point I wouldn't be surprised. They seem to just introduce more and more models. Doesn't matter how similar they are to other models they offer.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I always thought of this as a good idea and while it could take away some volume from the GLA, it's a model that slots into what seems to be a growing and currently lucrative segment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
While reading another article on this I ran across a link to this article from October 2014, long before most of us probably even cared about it. It could be that a new A-Class for the US may not be a hatchback at all. It may be the coupe/roadster discussed here before. The picture would not replicate but go to the site and see a rendering. Really nice.

Three New Mercedes-Benz A-Class Versions From 2018 - MercedesBlog

The German magazine Auto Bild, no. 1 European car magazine, informs that the future 2018 A-Class generation will have three more versions: a classic coupe with two doors, a sporty Shooting Brake with two doors and a compact roadster.

Auto Bild presents the first computer pictures of a three new Mercedes A-Class sporty derivatives: a classic coupe, a shooting brake and a refined roadster. Under the code W 177, the fourth A-Class generation will have six derivatives: hatchback (W 177, 2018), limousine (new version, V 177, 2018), coupe (new version, C 177, 2019),the CLA (C 188, 2019), the CLA Shooting Brake (X 118, 2019) and the GLA (X 256, 2020).
Regarding the coupe, Mercedes-Benz had to choose between a cheap entry level three-door or a sporty coupe with an independent body. And it seems that they chose the second version, which will be positioned above the A-Class, but closer to the A-Class than the CLA. If Mercedes-Benz will use the new logistic for names, the future roadster could be named the SLA.
For the roadster and Shooting Brake Mercedes-Benz must increase the A-Class production at plants from Rastatt, Kecskemet and especially from China. Shooting brake has a chance only in Europe and the question is, whether or not two-door coupe and a two-door shooting brake will compete internally. Auto Bild published a declaration of a Mercedes-Benz responsible manager who said: “A coupe is a spicy sporty variant and the Shooting Brake is a lifestyle version oriented to more comfort”.
The actual MFA platform allows a wide range of versions based on A-Class architecture. But for the roadster some additional investments are needed for the textile roof and for the roll over protection. Mercedes-Benz sees this future roadster not as a competitor for Audi A3 Cabrio or BMW 2 Series cabrio, but closer to the future Audi TT Roadster and the future BMW Z4.
With all these sporty versions and a limousine, Mercedes will have nine derivatives in the compact class, more than any other premium competitor.
According to Jurgen Doring, head of Mercedes-Benz cars Powertrain strategy, the Plug-In Hybrid system could also be adapted for the MFA platform. This means that we will also see some Plug-In Hybrid models, but, because of the needed space, the Plug-In versions will probably be reserved to the limousine, the CLA, the B-Class and the GLA, but not for sporty versions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tobias already said the next gen GLA would move up in size, presumably in cost as well although he didn't say this, it is my guess. As I opined in another thread this likely makes room for a new entry level model underneath it and this information would seem to imply what that model will be.

I'm thinking the GLE and GLA will become the pretty fun SUVs that are more about style and the square models will provide the actual utility. The new To the US A class will be the entry car to the brand but will not include the entry level models sold in the old country. Instead they will use the same strategy as the current GLA and have two variants one starting at about 30k and an AMG model.

At least that's what I'm seeing in my crystal ball. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is a tiny bit small right now. I could see it getting bigger, and that making it a better vehicle especially if they introduce the A-Class as well. It's a thing that models often do, grow in size that is.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The CLA and GLA follows the motto of Carlos Goshn: globalization, zero emission (goal) and for the masses. What this guy did is to shake the world's auto industry single handed, as the CEO & Chairman of Nissan Japan and Nissan-Renault Alliance. It will strengthen the brand value of Mercedes in markets otherwise impossible to establish and to penetrate. The GLA and Nissan's Infinity QX30 shares a global platform assembled in plants located in Rastatt, Kolkata (India), Iracemápolis (SP), Aguascalientes (Mexico) and Shanghai (Dofeng Motors). These days Daimler AG's corporate strategists' ears are very keen to Carlos Goshn lips, as result of this the CLA/GLA was born. Even though these are at low end of MB's lineup, it will guarantee new untapped young affluent buyers. The new buzz word is not hostile takeovers, but "friendly" alliances for mutual benefits without losing respective brand recognition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts